1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Looks like I need yet ANOTHER Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I need yet ANOTHER Turbo!

Last Sat I pulled into the auto store for part after towing a friends truck and pulling his motor for replacement. Got out and foaming gray oil was all over from underneath. Pop the hood and the radiator overflow was overflowing with gray oil.

Crap. Head gasket. After pulling the head on Sunday and NOT finding a blown gasket, I searched online and it turns out it was the oil cooler. So I'm replacing that AND the headgasket, valve seals, etc.

Since I had it off, thought I'd refresh the used turbo Maxtorq sold me and took the comp housing off to find that the compressor fan had been touching the comp housing (good thing I have an 80% hearing loss from 15 years of heavy weapons training, IPSC, IDPA, 3-gun shooting, teaching, etc., or I might've actually HEARD a ringing sound other than that permanently in my ears!)

I Dig deeper and find the seal on the turbine side ("piston ring") had worn a wider groove in the shaft and allowed the shaft to walk in and out of the cartridge housing while spinning, not only letting the compressor fan touch the housing and wear into it, but to wear the bottom of the turbine fins down through the heat shield.

The shaft is shot with the groove too wide for a new seal ring and the turbine blades worn down a bit, so the whole shaft assy is toast. Center cartridge is fine, turbine housing is fine, compressor housing has concentric grooves in it, not sure if it's salvageable or not.

Anyway, now I have a box of parts and NO running turbo. Anyone have yet another builder they can sell???

BTW, for the cooler, there's no way I'm using a stock one again. I'm moding the plate for a coiled tubing cooler that will hold up to SUBSTANTIALLY more pressure that that less-than-good-engineered flat plate pressure vessel thing. Will post pics and status when it's done.

Also, am posting this on a few of the other forums as this truck is apart and in the way of another that I have to get out of the driveway, can't move till I get these parts installed and truck running.

Please email if you can help!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sent you a pm.