1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

It Looks Good Sitting on the Dash, But no RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does your regulator look like this? I know yours is in a different spot.
Attached Thumbnails It Looks Good Sitting on the Dash, But no RPMs-dscf03978.jpg  
Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 PM

I am gonna take a wild guess and say that if you do have a external regulator that your pcm is out, that would explain it all.

After pic review, what is that peice of steel on the right? the one with the pink wires around it?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by justinsdad
I am gonna take a wild guess and say that if you do have a external regulator that your pcm is out, that would explain it all.

After pic review, what is that peice of steel on the right? the one with the pink wires around it?
That's the e-brake, the camera was upside down. The light is the indicator to remind me the a/c compressor is on. It's on a toggle switch, too.

Originally Posted by comptz
does your regulator look like this? I know yours is in a different spot.
& yes, the thing hooked to the alt. looks just about like that.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by tanyj
That's the e-brake, the camera was upside down. The light is the indicator to remind me the a/c compressor is on. It's on a toggle switch, too.

& yes, the thing hooked to the alt. loks just about like that.
I would say that your pcm is fried and the po rigged everything to work instead of buying a new pcm.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Cool. Any thoughts on cost of new PCM? Tough to put back to factory?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Cool. Any thoughts on cost of new PCM? Tough to put back to factory?
i have no idea. I have an 89 so i dont have to worry about a pcm. The toughness would depend on how bad it is rigged. I believe that the pcm is by the battery in the fender well, i may be wrong.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:20 PM

i think you could fix your overdrive like this instead of the switch you have. This is just an idea. I got this from the "sticky". https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=156988
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

Nope...you're all wrong...it's the NOS Mopar tach causing ALL the problems!! I think it best tanyj pack it up and just send it on to me, so he will not suffer any more anguish from it. Just a thought, trying to help out here, as obviously I would have nothing to gain from this!! ;-) But I do agree it seems the crank sensor and/or PCM would be the root of all the evils. Good luck to you!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 PM

The pcm is about 200 thru advanced auto.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 PM

The PCM is behind the battery under the fender. I bought a PCM what they call a rebuilt/reburn at napa for $212.00 last summer. You might find one cheaper online but you have to have the number off your old one to get one. From what I have been told most of the PCMs come out of Fla. but who knows. Electronics to me equals headache. Good luck figuring it out tanyj.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

A little off track here, but that is the first Dodge fuse-block I have seen that doesn't have any fuses melted/welded into the plastic, nor any evidence of burned-out fuse sockets.

It even looks nice and clean.

What does the amber marker-light do ??

And, if I am thinking right, shouldn't a couple of those fuses be breakers instead, like maybe the door-locks and windows ??
Old 05-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Geez you fuse panel looks naked compared to mine.

The heavy gauge wire is the new relay switched IGN circuit, now nothing goes through my Ignition switch except for the relay coil.

With a switch I can also select which battery to draw from with this I can say listen to a DVD or watch a movie without having the ignition on or even have the key in the ignition at all.

I rearranged a few circuits.

Jim
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 AM

Nice. There is a lot of things that work on mine without the key, but the windows still need the ignition on to work. The wiring on mine looks like an all night salad bar, though.

The amber light illuminates when the a/c compressor is switched on. I have NO idea why. The PO didn't do all this, he actually fixed a bunch of it. He bought it from the original owner, who was a farmer in central Texas.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The amber light illuminates when the a/c compressor is switched on..
hahaha thats really funny. Just incase you can't look at your a/c control to see its on, hook up a 3"x3" amber trailer light under the dash.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Nice. There is a lot of things that work on mine without the key, but the windows still need the ignition on to work. The wiring on mine looks like an all night salad bar, though.

The amber light illuminates when the a/c compressor is switched on. I have NO idea why. The PO didn't do all this, he actually fixed a bunch of it. He bought it from the original owner, who was a farmer in central Texas.
If you follow the 10-gauge Green wire in the picture you will see that one end is in the LOAD side of the Power Window fuse #2, the other end is the 30-amp breaker that returns as the 10-gauge Red wire and gets a constant 12-volts from the LINE side of fuse #6.

This supplies the Power Windows with constant power so the windows work with no key in the ignition.

I will routinely connect an indicator to see if something under the hood is getting power if I am trying to diagnose something.

Now I do not have to worry about my AC clutch cycling because it is on all of the time.

See sometimes my mind is not so complicated.
Jim

Quick Reply: It Looks Good Sitting on the Dash, But no RPMs