1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Loctite on VE pump to prevent tampering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loctite on VE pump to prevent tampering?

Well, I was really bored today and I decided to make my old stock 93 not so stock anymore. Nothing fancy, I just wanted to mess around with the fuel pin.

Following the guide in the sticky, I pulled the top 3 allen head screws that were holding the TPS bracket in place.
I gladly took the TPS and threw it in the center console seeing as how I have a POT now.
It came down to the last of the 4 screws which is a flat-head screw on the top right-hand side of the pump...it will not budge. Ive broken 2 screw driver tips trying to get it off. I cleaned some of the dust away around it and there is a dry blue paste residue around the base of the screw.

I know this is not the factory pump cause I found the receipts in the glove box from when the previous owner had the pump replaced.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Also, how do I get it off?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a set of vise grips or an itty bitty pipe wrench on them to break 'em loose and plan on buying new.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by powerrammaster
Put a set of vise grips or an itty bitty pipe wrench on them to break 'em loose and plan on buying new.

Done that. That's how I broke them
Old 09-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
If it is Blue Locktite you should be able to soften it with some heat but not too much, maybe a heat gun on the spot or a IR heat lamp.

Might have to replace the rubber parts afterwards though.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Would heat from normal operation temp possibly be enough to soften it up? Does the pump even get that hot? Ive never put my hand on it right after running it.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 AM
alwaysonDTR

put the tiny vise grips on the screw and not the screw driver also tap on the screw lightly.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:33 AM

Yeah, I meant the heads of the screws, and to me the pump at operating temp would be as warm as a heat gun could get it.Maybe spray some gum cutter or paint stripper carefully around the screws, it might start to break down the top layers of the loctite. The paint stipper could be dabbed on as it is jelly like and stays where you put it. But, be prepared for seal replacement.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have you tried using a screw gun or a impact bit driver?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by archer39
have you tried using a screw gun or a impact bit driver?

If I had one I probably would. All the good tools are back home.

I'd dont have a small enough pair of vice grips to grab the screw so I guess Ill have to borrow one from work or shill out the money to get a small set.

My biggest fear is messing up the head of the screw so bad that I wouldnt be able to grab onto it with anything. I could get an "easy-out" kit but I wanna keep that a last resort. But now that the week has started I wont have that much free time with school and work all this week.

We'll see...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60

I'd dont have a small enough pair of vice grips to grab the screw so I guess Ill have to borrow one from work or shill out the money to get a small set.

My biggest fear is messing up the head of the screw so bad that I wouldnt be able to grab onto it with anything. I could get an "easy-out" kit but I wanna keep that a last resort. But now that the week has started I wont have that much free time with school and work all this week.

We'll see...
First time I went into my pump I noticed the oddball screw and replaced it with allen an head just like the others.

Now there's no problem..

How to get your's out
You may be at your last resort..
No Idea - other than the small vise grips or easy-outs, sorry.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60

We'll see...

a impact bit driver like this can be had for pretty cheap at a hardware store. i paid like 20 bucks for one a while back. they are pretty effective too.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:19 PM

If you booger up the head, worst case scenario, you wait till your home and weld something of leverage onto the heads if welding(tacking) is an option.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:28 PM

I've found taping on the head of the screws with a BIG hammer to help loosen them, but do it carefully. After doing this several times while playing with the tune of my truck I put anti-seize on the threads and so far it has worked great.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by archer39
a impact bit driver like this can be had for pretty cheap at a hardware store. i paid like 20 bucks for one a while back. they are pretty effective too.

I second that recommendation. One whack and the screw is loosened. Mine is part of my 1st gen tuning tool kit.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 PM

I picked up a 3/8 impact driver from the parts store today and it worked like a charm. 3 sturdy whacks and it spun free. =D

Thanks for all ya'lls help. What would I do without all the great people here at DTR?

Now the question is, what to do now that the top is off....hmmm....

Quick Reply: Loctite on VE pump to prevent tampering?