1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A Little Friendly Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92DuallyCTD
..the mechanic wasn't too far off the subject. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/605.htm
Ahem, cough.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 92DuallyCTD
heh heh You guys!! ;-) I think the mechanic may have been referring to the 'fulcrum lever <metering>pin', and just called it 'fulcometer' which I think is commonly called fuel pin here. As it really is a 'fulcrum-operated' method of controlling the metering pin(by way of having the pin move in/out with up/down movement of the cone), the mechanic wasn't too far off the subject. If either pin or cone get 'bent', it could cause poor performance/loss of throttle. This TSB from Geno's mentions it, and does describe the throttle control condition. Of course, this only indicates 91-93 pumps, but I think the VE internals would all have the same nomenclature. The mechanic had the right idea, just wrong terminology? Hope this helps, good luck! :-)
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/605.htm
This helps me alot. Where would you guys say that I could find one of these fulcrum levers? Could I replace it with one of the Old Smoky fuel pins that I have read about on here? Is that the same thing? Thanks!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Ace
Banned

I thought you said the truck was running great???!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
I thought you said the truck was running great???!

The truck is running great. The performance is not what I am after here. It is stopping the throttle from sticking when I am cruising down the interstate. When traveling down the interstate, if I give it a little extra throttle to pass something almost everytime it will hang. I have to shut off the key to get it to stop building power. I have caught myself twice or three times mashing it to pass someone and a slow @!@#$% pulls over in my lane and I am stuck at WOT. That has made me pucker up a couple times and it makes the wife really nervous about driving the truck. I wouldn't mind getting it fixed if I don't have to spend a fortune to do it. I thought that if I do this, I might as well put me a 3200 rpm spring just for good measures. Thanks guys for all the help. It is much appreciated!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Update

I talked to the mechanic today and he said that the part is indeed a "fulcrum lever" not a "fulcometer." I had misunderstood him because he said it was a fulcrum "leever" not a fulcometer. My mistake. Now that I know what he is talking about, where can I get one or what performance mod does this mean I can do and sell it to the wife as a necessity? Thanks guys for all the help!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Ace
Banned

Ohhhh, now I get it. Sorry. That pin (fulcometer? ) can be examined by just pulling the AFC cover off and removing the fuel pin. There's another little tiny pin that rides on the inclined surface of the fuel pin and slides straight into the bore. Assuming (there I go again!) that is what we're talking about. But I'm starting to doubt if that is really your problem. I don't see how that thing could move at all, if it was even slightly bent. If the mechanic had the pump apart he would (should) have confirmed smooth operation of all the internals.

You may just need to lube the throttle shaft, or check for some binding or something catching on the throttle linkage somewhere. Have you looked at that sort of stuff yet?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:07 PM

Have you looked at that sort of stuff yet?[/QUOTE]

Yes I have looked lubed everything I can find that is remotely close to the throttle. I believe it is something internal in the pump because when it sticks it continues to build power and shutting the key off will unhang it. If something external is hanging the throttle, shutting the key off would probably make no difference would it? He said that because the fulcrum lever was bent that when the pump built fuel pressure it put enough pressure on the lever to make it not release. This all goes above my learning, but I do know that the throttle will hang and the only way to make it stop is to shut the key off. Any suggestions?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Ace
Banned

Well in that case, I think we should wait for the real experts to chime in cause I'm stumped. I suppose then it probably is internal to the pump.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like the fuel screw is in too far or something in the governor is worn/binding.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:17 PM

I'm with Dave on this one (not that I'm anyone to listen to, but he is). Try backing the fuel screw out a turn and see if that helps.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM

I have searched the site over and I have gone to the Cummins parts store and I cannot find a fulcrum lever. The guy who rebuilt my pump seems to know what he is talking about so, if anyone knows where I can find a fulcrum lever I would greatly appreciate any info. By the way, if I decide to get this fixed, I intend to put in the 3200 governor spring. Any suggestions on any other mods that would be worth my time. Would a fuel pin be worth doing? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Sounds like the fuel screw is in too far or something in the governor is worn/binding.
I have read the whole post, and from what I have seen thus far, I am completly convinced that if the mechanic set the pump up for more fuel,(like u stated earlier) U are on the verge of runaway. Someone else posted about this maybe a week or 2 ago, how the throttle was hanging up then would fall slowly. Backed the fuel screw out a little and fixed the problem.
Do yourself a favor and turn the fuel screw out a little bit.
Now my question is this, do u have any smoke under load? If u aint smokin, u aint fueled, I dont care what turbo ur runnin.

Just me, but I wont ever let an outside source touch my pump and modify, unless its EEP, or Sheids, or the like. NO WAY. Anyone can tell you I did this, I did that, or did they.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:29 PM

I do have some smoke under a load but it is not bad. It will puff a little if you romp on. When the turbo begins to spool, however, the smoke will clear up and the truck just goes. I am not sure where the fuel screw is, but I will check the sticky. It seems like I saw a diagram of the VE pump there that pointed out the fuel screw. If I can locate it I will back it out about a turn or so and see what happens. If you cannot tell, I am not mechanic savy when it comes to the internals of an injector pump and I trust in my ability to tear the pump down. It's the getting it back together part that I may be lacking at. So, I have to take it somewhere to get service done to my pump. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep em comin!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:39 PM

You'll want to adjust the full fuel screw, or the "Power Adjustment Screw" as it's called here: http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/mor...r/Power_ve.htm

It's simple, just requires a 13mm wrench and a flat screwdriver. Try backing it out a turn and see if it fixes it.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you dont know how to do it, learn how. It isnt that hard, and the top only goes together one way. Just have some pictures printed out and handy for resinstalation. If you were closer, or dont mind coming to southeast MO for a day, I'll help ya out.

I probably wont make it to KY this year- money is too tight with the second house and me starting a new job and all.

Daniel

Quick Reply: A Little Friendly Advice