1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A Little Friendly Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Little Friendly Advice

Hey guys,

I bought one of the 3200 rpm governor springs and I need some advice. I am no mechanic. So, I know absolutely nothing about the insides of an injector pump. I can do the basics but I am not a skilled mechanic. Would you guys advise me to follow the sticky directions and try it myself or would you say take it to a mechanic and let them do it. I have read the directions in the sticky and it looks pretty complicated to me. The throttle on my ride has always been proned to stick when you stomp it. I talked to the mechanic who rebuilt my pump about six months ago and he said that it was a Fulcometer (or something like that) that is bent in my pump causing the throttle to hang when you stomp it. What is a fulcometer? Does this sound right? He said for $600.00 he can take my pump off the truck, replace the fulcometer, put me the much coveted 3200 rpm spring in, and recalibrate the pump for that price. What do you guys think?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by efbeason
What is a fulcometer? Does this sound right? What do you guys think?
I think I will go snipe hunting this after-noon, maybe a little cow tipping later on. Just kidding maybe time for new mechanic?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:30 PM

I think you should "STAY AWAY FROM THAT SO CALLED MECHANIC"
Old 04-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Ace
Banned

Yeah, that's a new one on me. I've never heard of anything getting "bent" inside the IP. I suppose it is possible, and he's using some unfamiliar terminology rather more a more recognizeable term we would know, tho. The pump experts will have to chime in on this one...
Old 04-17-2007, 04:01 PM

What inside the pump would make the throttle hang? When he rebuilt the pump he said the "fuel was turned wide open." I do not know specifically what he meant by that. I assumed that the fuel screw was either screwed all the way out or all the way in (whichever way makes it "wide open") because he said that it had been turned so far that something had got bent and causing the throttle to stick. After he rebuilt my pump, my truck has run better than it ever has. It has more power and runs alot cooler than it used to under a load. It also has way more torque and the turbo really spools like it should. Before the pump was rebuilt I never heard my turbo...ever. Now my rig sounds like a semi out on the interstate when I mash the throttle. When I mash it to WOT, I now see 30 psi on the boost gauge. What do you guys think? Is there something in the pump that could have got bent and maybe the guy just called it an unfamiliar term?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM

He'll probably need a "board stretcher" a "bucket of steam" and some "pneumatic fluid" to get the pump out.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Ace
Banned

Sounds to me like the results speak for themselves. I'll wager he knows exactly what he is doing.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys,

I bought one of the 3200 rpm governor springs and I need some advice. I am no mechanic. So, I know absolutely nothing about the insides of an injector pump. I can do the basics but I am not a skilled mechanic. Would you guys advise me to follow the sticky directions and try it myself or would you say take it to a mechanic and let them do it. I have read the directions in the sticky and it looks pretty complicated to me. The throttle on my ride has always been proned to stick when you stomp it. I talked to the mechanic who rebuilt my pump about six months ago and he said that it was a Fulcometer (or something like that) that is bent in my pump causing the throttle to hang when you stomp it. What is a fulcometer? Does this sound right? He said for $600.00 he can take my pump off the truck, replace the fulcometer, put me the much coveted 3200 rpm spring in, and recalibrate the pump for that price. What do you guys think?
I think that most mechanics know absolutely nothing about the inside of an injector pump either so be very careful where you take it. I would only trust it to a diesel injection shop. Talk to a shop first about this "fulcometer".
Old 04-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
efbeason, what part of the world are you in? Might be someone nearby who's done one and would be willing to come "supervise."
Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Your in luck, I just happen to have a brand new in the box fulcometer. And for a discount to a fellow DTR member its yours for $399.99.

I'm kidding, theres no part in expanded diagrahm i could find called that, get another opinion, but if its acting like theres a spot where theres no response id bet on govener.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:25 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Wink Ain"t Broke Don't Fix It

>>> After he rebuilt my pump, my truck has run >>>better than it ever has.<<<

>>>It has more power and runs alot cooler than it used to under a load.<<<

>>> It also has way more torque and the turbo really spools like it should.<<<

>>> Before the pump was rebuilt I never heard my turbo...ever.<<<

>>> Now my rig sounds like a semi out on the interstate when I mash the throttle.<<<

>>> When I mash it to WOT, I now see 30 psi on the boost gauge.<<<

Take an old dog's advice and LEAVE YOUR PUMP ALONE, until something drastic happens.

Give a kid a nickel and he always wants a quarter.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 AM

Well thanks for the opinions. I am in Middle Tennessee. If there are any of you guys who are within a reasonable drive, I would be glad to come to where you are. Otherwise, I may just deal with my sticking throttle. And if I ever have to go back into the pump I will have the governor spring handy. It would be nice to have the spring in and get the throttle fixed but I am not skilled enough to go into the pump by myself and I really do not have the extra cash laying around to have a diesel shop do the work.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Be in Kentucky, JUNE 9th, at TBoling's.

Big first annual 1st Gen. Cummins truck picnic, swap-meet, and general get-together.

All the brains of Cummins technology will be there to be picked by us less smarter ones.

It would be a good investment for you to make it a point to be there.

Just search this forum back a few pages for several threads about the meet.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Oh, I will definitely be there. I have been planning on coming to that rally since I am only about 3.5 hours away. Good idea. Maybe I can get the knowhow and confidence to attempt diving into the pump with all the Cummins knowledge there. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Banned

heh heh You guys!! ;-) I think the mechanic may have been referring to the 'fulcrum lever <metering>pin', and just called it 'fulcometer' which I think is commonly called fuel pin here. As it really is a 'fulcrum-operated' method of controlling the metering pin(by way of having the pin move in/out with up/down movement of the cone), the mechanic wasn't too far off the subject. If either pin or cone get 'bent', it could cause poor performance/loss of throttle. This TSB from Geno's mentions it, and does describe the throttle control condition. Of course, this only indicates 91-93 pumps, but I think the VE internals would all have the same nomenclature. The mechanic had the right idea, just wrong terminology? Hope this helps, good luck! :-)
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/605.htm

Quick Reply: A Little Friendly Advice