1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Lil' Green Express Truck...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lil' Green Express Truck...

Well, I figured I'd post some pics of the '93 I'm working on right now. Its a really nice truck that a previous owner had already shortened to install a normal 6 foot bed. I figured since it was already short, and I had a 1980 slant 6 truck with a stepside bed, Id make a cool stepside cummins! It was pretty much a bolt on, and in these pics I didnt have the bumpers switched out yet, but it looks great. The truck is going to get repainted next week, and when its done, Im going to install one Lil Red Express stack and call it good. When its finished I'll post up some more pics.

PIC1
PIC2
PIC3
PIC4
Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
As much as I like single stacks, you gotta do a pair on that thing! 4" turnouts with heat shields would look sweet on there.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:35 AM

definitely duals
Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 AM

That's one cool ride, but I agree, it needs two equally smokin' stacks.

Good luck, - can you say TOM

Michael
Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Chapter President

Dual 5" are the way to go. Its going to look sweet!!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

isn't gonna look right unless you go over to the early hood/grill and paint it 70's lime green!

70's body w/ 90's paint scheme just don't sit right IMO
Old 02-24-2007, 11:29 AM

yeah i agree with most here dual stacks an heat shields are the way to go on that. I also agree with forest. you need to go with an old pain scheme to make it look right. sweet project though
Old 02-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks guys!

Question for ya, on a V8 truck the exhaust runs up thru the steps and into the stacks, how can I get a second exhaust pipe over to the other side of the truck? This bed has a wood floor, and if I run the exhaust up into the bed, the stacks will exit right where the gas filler is supposed to go. Hit me up with some ideas and I'll throw another stack on it. The sheet metal is going to stay the same on the front. I dont have a good enough donor truck to swap the fenders/doors/hood. The paint is going to be similar color to the dark green, only because the truck was recently painted already and whoever did it, jambed the inside of the doors and it looks really good. Im not sure if you guys know what a "Midnight Express" was, its a dealer option in the late '70, the truck is going to get THESE decals.
The bumpers also are going to be back to stock.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:07 PM

GPS >> cool project!! i think will look great when it get's done, can you channel the box box to get it to sit a little lower?? looks a little high and a 4" drop would give it better "flow" IMO or lift the cab 4" and leave the box where it is. and whats that in the garage i see?? can you post some pics and description of whats going on in there??
Old 02-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Wow, I get chills thinking about a truck called the "Midnight Express" with two plumes of diesel smoke shooting out the stacks. Gotta keep the stacks small so you get more velocity - shoot that smoke way up in the air. 4" max, even 3" wouldn't look bad with heat shields.

I think I'd go with a Ramcharger fuel tank and ditch the stocker so you'll have room for the stack plumbing.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
As to the pictures, I honestly don't think I have ever seen so much going on, in such a small area.

I thought one of my neighbors had an interesting assortment of activities scattered around; but, I don't think he is quite so well blessed as you.

Did that truck start life as a regular-cab/long bed, then get an ext.-cab/short-bed??

Or, were the rails cut and shortened??

I also think, No bigger than four inchers; anything bigger, on a small truck, starts to look like stove-pipe.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:06 PM

Where does a ramcharger tank sit? The other thing I was thinking about for the stacks would be to split it inside the bed, and come out the sides of the bed, and install lil red truck heat shields that go all the way down to the steps. That way it would hide the fact that the stacks are coming out of the bed.
Yeah, my neighbors love me, you shouldve seen it today, I had my '79 jeep parked on the hood of that white dodge in the driveway, and when I was backing off of it, the jeep rolled on its side. Im sure all of my neighbors were impressed! Ive got so many projects going on right now, the truck in the garage is a '32 ford rat rod, that thing is getting a long ram 413 drivetrain. Also in the pics across the street, you can see my diplomat cop car, its getting a warmed over 360 eventually. Ive got plenty of time to work on my toys, I just separated from the Air Force, and am taking a little time off for myself.
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! Ill update this with pics when the truck has progressed some more.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller

Did that truck start life as a regular-cab/long bed, then get an ext.-cab/short-bed??
Or, were the rails cut and shortened??
The truck was a club cab long bed, someone else shortened the frame and they did a nice job, fishplated the inside for strength, so Im going to leave it. It also has a homemade goose hitch welded to the frame in the rear, that is going to get hooked back up with the stepside.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by GPSflyer
Where does a ramcharger tank sit?
Where the spare tire is now.
Originally Posted by GPSflyer
The other thing I was thinking about for the stacks would be to split it inside the bed, and come out the sides of the bed, and install lil red truck heat shields that go all the way down to the steps. That way it would hide the fact that the stacks are coming out of the bed.
That's taking the easy way out.

It's your truck, do it up in the way it makes you happy.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
With the gooseneck I don't think I could do it but a close friend turned his step side into a dump with a few pieces of metal and a hydraulic ram and a snow plow pump. It will dump 3 tons.

Quick Reply: Lil' Green Express Truck...