1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Lift pump fuel line quick disconnect clip? Where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lift pump fuel line quick disconnect clip? Where to buy?

Well I just installed a new lift pump and the fuel line going to the inlet has that quick disconnect clip (similar to a electrical plug in a sense). Anyways, the little white plastic clip that sits on the brass part of the pump and clips the fuel line elbow on broke just from me pushing on it. I went to Cummins, NAPA and the local Dodge dealership and only the Dodge place had it but it came with a new elbow for... $27!!! . I told the guy I'd hold off for now but is there anywhere else I can get that duckbill style clip? I'm only going to buy the thing from Dodge if its my last resort and I really don't feel like blowing $27 on a .10 cent piece.

Sorry for the rant

Lucas
Old 02-06-2006, 06:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you talking about the fuel line quick connect? Just cut it off and use a hose clamp. I cut all mine off the fuel tank and used clamps.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:42 PM

I was thinking of doing that, it would make it much simpler and give it a better seal IMO.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
I was thinking of doing that, it would make it much simpler and give it a better seal IMO.
Absolutely. If you are worried about getting a good seal use two hose clamps. Anywhere, I can't see the clamps I use two, like on top of the tank. I don't want fuel or air leaks. Cheap insurance.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:55 PM

Well I went out and bought the hose clamps since I didnt have any small enough for the line. I also got the fuel line splice, its made out of plastic which I wasn't to keen on but its all they had for that size, otherwise I would've went brass. I plan on putting th splice in and connecting a piece of larger/softer fuel line so I can connect it to the lift pump. I tried putting the stock fuel line onto the lift pump and its too darn hard and too small to do so.

When I get this all hooked up, I'm curious, will it eventually purge itself of the air from doing some driving or am I going to have to crack the injector lines and bleed the air that way?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:22 AM

If you just pump the lever by hand to make sure there is fuel in the line and at the filter than it should be fine. If you don't pump it up before you start the truck it will likely die and then you'll have to bleed injectors.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:41 PM

Well I got it on and no leaks . There is still a pocket of air from the fuel line to the lift pump and I've tried to bleed it through the bolt Dave mentioned and it still comes back. I guess I'm going to have to crack the injectors and bleed it that way? I don't think its hard its just that its another PITA I have to deal with .
Old 02-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you are getting air in the line from the tank to the lift pump, you are sucking air in somewhere. I've heard of guys having the pickup tube in the tank develop a small crack. Stuff like that can make you nuts before you find it.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:44 PM

I think your on to something Dave. I went out and drove it for a good 1/2 hour on the highway doing about 70mph the whole way. I came back to my place, shut her down and came back out 15 minutes later to see if the longer drive cured it. No dice, still have to crank it over for 8-10 seconds to get her going. I'm going to check all along the fuel line and see if its cracked anywhere. Dave when you say the pickup tube, is that in the tank internally or does it crack on the outer surface?

Thanks
Lucas

P.S. I ground my fuel pin and while it perked it up some around town, getting to highway speeds just got a whole lot more fun . I might grind it down some more later on.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:25 PM

The individual clips are STILL available from dodge. I ended up having to run a new fuel line due to a crack when I dropped my tank