1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

L.E.D's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.E.D's

im looking for some new lights. i was wondering if anyone has heard of led headlights, tail lights and marker lights for our trucks?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
headlight technology is still on the green side, however there are some hi-output offroad systems, the cree is currently leading in lumen output and seen in nicer flashlights also, im looking forward to low draw/hi output lights in the near future. the hid lights are popular and very bright, some are legal and even oem in some cars, you can tell driving at night who runs them, their blinding to anyone around, im getting ready to fab some on my street bike for better visibility.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 PM

LED Headlamps

Here is a good thread:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...&highlight=led

LED Tail lights, blinkers and gauge clusters can be found in the stickie
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like truck lite has the best LED headlight on the market at this time. They are expensive though. http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-1...px?cagpspn=pla

They say that the polycarbonate lenses are suppose to be very rugged and are able to take a stray rock, for the cost I would hope they can.

I thought someone here had a set of these but am not sure. reviews that I have read online are all good so far, nice white light that goes much farther. I read some stuff a while back on a jeep forum where a bunch of them were trying them out.

we have whelen off road flood lights on our equipment at work and they are great, I'm waiting for the headlight cost to drop a bit more before getting too serious though.

As for markers and tails then do a search for the LEDs that where installed in factory tails and the bus LEDs that many are using on the roof. they might be in the sticky too. I've yet to find any aftermarket led tails or turns like what is out there for newer vehicles. there is a euro tail light but it looks horrible.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 19mike92
im looking for some new lights. i was wondering if anyone has heard of led headlights, tail lights and marker lights for our trucks?
Bought these for my truck. red leds on the side of the lights. also comes with silver star H4 bulbs made a huge difference make the truck look mean to. they are really red put a pick of in the dark to
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...2027&langId=-1
Truck-lite now has a 5x7 LED headlight available. I'm sure they're not cheap, but who can put a price on cool?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 AM

My local auto parts store had the led marker lights and i used a school bus style cab light i got at our local truck parts store worked great nice and bright and way less amprage
Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your 07 is wired like our 06's i replaced every bulb with led except the headlights, at the time the led headlights were not out. i wanted the hid to meet dot reg, got on a forum that talked about hid types. most agreed the Honda accord had the best.we bought several from ebay that came from wrecked cars. the adjustable mount was the hardest part for me to fabricate. every light is brighter than stock and some like the dome light is several times brighter. i used the off road hid's in the fog light's i like to have switches on my lights like on my big rig's so i chose to control my headlight, fog light and back up light's by switches. left the high- low beam switch stock. on the 06-07 trucks you do not need resistors to fool the lamp out problem. it took me a while to decide on how i wanted to control the headlights. i experimented and studied the wiring diagrams for several days before proceeding. if you unplug both headlights, no problem with lamp out warning. at first i taped into the wire that sends a signal to the ecm to turn on the headlights. i used a solenoid to turn on the hid's, this bypasses the ecm completely. do not try to use the ground or low beam wire for any thing, they are not as they appear. i used the high beam wires to control the projector relays. then i decided i wanted to use a separate switch for the headlight. i removed the relay and now the switch simply supply's power to the hid.