1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

KSB? - please explain...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KSB? - please explain...

What is it - where is it - what does it do - how much is one - who sells them?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Its also refered to as a cold start advance, when cold it adds pump advance. Its on the drivers side of the pump and has a metal line going to it. Dont know the price, but a pump rebuild shop shoul have or be able to get them.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:28 AM

The textbook answer is this: KSB is a kalt-start-beschleuniger. German for cold start accelerator. It takes a signal from a temperature sensor in the manifold to actuate a solenoid (may be an electric solenoid post-'92 or a thermal wax pre-92) which redirects fuel pressure into the injector pump. This increase in internal pressure in turn bumps your timing (5degrees?) to smooth out the chilly beast on those cold mornings. The temp sensor will cut power when manifold temp reaches 90 degrees F.

The KSB is located towards the bottom of the injector pump. 2" long x 3/4" cylinder, electrical terminal on one end, a fuel outlet in the middle.

Dodge lists them, it's a discontinued part but some dealers still have one on the shelf ($540 was my quote). Contact your local Bosch supplier and you'll save about $100, I think they were in the $400plus range. They wanted $110 simply for the electric solenoid.

Hope this helps!

By the way ... anybody have an old elec-solenoid type KSB lying around I could borrow for testing? Mine still isn't working (even though everything checks out fine - power, solenoid actuation, checkvalve function, etc) but still no timing bump. I just need to test some other options before I dump cash into her again.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Blue Ox,

Did you check to make sure that the piston is free to move in the pump?

The only way that I can think of to do that would require taking the pump off of the truck, but that piston and its linkage could be jammed, leaving you with static timing.

I can't remember, soes the truck seem to have retarded timing under WOT, or is it just a cold start problem?
Old 01-21-2006, 06:07 AM

Last year my KSB wasn't working. I unscrewed it from the injection pump, applied 12 volts and verified that the plunger moved. It didn't move far, but you could definitley see it move. I then put a small awl in the hole where the solenoid was removed from. There is a check ball(I think thats what it is) in there. I pushed on that and made sure it was free. I think it was stuck closed. Screwed the solenoid back in and it has been working every since. Good luck!!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Blue Ox,

I have an old KSB you can barrow. Mine wasn’t working so I replaced it, funny thing was the new one didn’t work either until I replaced the temp sensor! So I have a really expensive spare part sitting around. Your welcome to try it out, it bench test's fine. I'm in Golden, give a call and I'll get it to you some how.

Eric, 303-949-8496