1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ksb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Hopefully it won't be raining tomorrow and I can get in there and see what's up with it. Thanks for all your help everyone. I'll report back what I find.

Edwin
Old 03-26-2005, 05:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I'm from the old diesel school.

You retard timing for lowend power, advance timing for topend power.

with me so far, see where I'm going????

IF you were to use the electromagnetic solenoid which is fast acting, could
you not use the KSB for timing advance??

IF so, this would make for a killer setup. Hook the KSB to a toggle or micro switch
on the fuel peddle. Cruzin on advanced timing= better fuel milage, throttle response
and general performance. Flip the toggle and retard the timing when you need or
want the lowend power.

This is NOT a new idea to Cummins, they used it not too long ago on the NTC series
and called it "step timing" with this setup when you stepped on it the cam followers
were rotated a bit to retard the timing. I had this setup on a Big Cam NTC and with
the fuel cranked up this was unreal and with twin-turbos it would scream at 80,000
pounds. In the days when 425 Cats were top of the line the little 855 Cummins at 475HP
would just roll on bye-bye.

OK lets get this ball rolling and see if the shadetree mechanics can work this one out.

If anyone has a part number for the electromagnetic solenoid please post, I'll try anything ..... once.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Visually, it look the same as the fuel cut-off solenoid. Maybe the same? Would make sense.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by 59FORD
OK, I'm from the old diesel school.

You retard timing for lowend power, advance timing for topend power.

with me so far, see where I'm going????

IF you were to use the electromagnetic solenoid which is fast acting, could
you not use the KSB for timing advance??

IF so, this would make for a killer setup. Hook the KSB to a toggle or micro switch
on the fuel peddle. Cruzin on advanced timing= better fuel milage, throttle response
and general performance. Flip the toggle and retard the timing when you need or
want the lowend power.

This is NOT a new idea to Cummins, they used it not too long ago on the NTC series
and called it "step timing" with this setup when you stepped on it the cam followers
were rotated a bit to retard the timing. I had this setup on a Big Cam NTC and with
the fuel cranked up this was unreal and with twin-turbos it would scream at 80,000
pounds. In the days when 425 Cats were top of the line the little 855 Cummins at 475HP
would just roll on bye-bye.

OK lets get this ball rolling and see if the shadetree mechanics can work this one out.

If anyone has a part number for the electromagnetic solenoid please post, I'll try anything ..... once.
The VE pump already does this internally. As RPM (and fuel flow through the pump) rises, the overflow restriction on the return line raises internal pump pressure and advances the timing with RPM. The KSB restricts the overflow so that full advance happens at idle.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Banned

DURN IT!!

I was looking to have a drivers way of changing the timing as you desire.

Took that one to the back burner real quick.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 PM

KSB Problem

Hello Wanadiesel,
I have a question on my KSB. I have an '89 engine with a water IC. My KSB switch is open on cold start and closes applying 12V (14 when charging) when warm. Trouble is, nothing happens and she is a bugger to start even on a warm day. However, when I plug the block heater in overnight she starts instantly. Bad KSB? Looks like I can replace it myself; any gotchas I need to worry about?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Wow! An older thread sticks its head up in the crowd!

WELCOME to our forums Jimmy.

The KSB just advances the lower range of the total dynamic timing range so as to help the cold engine run a little better till it's warmed some.

Name:  6ceae495.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  38.7 KB

- How cold is it when it's giving you a fit?
- Are you using the charge-air preheaters (Wait to Start)?
- Are you running stock/OEM injection timing (any other mods)?

Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 PM

Hi David. Thanks for responding. It does not want to start unless it's a warm summer day. Acts like the fuel has drained back to the tank. However, when I plug in the block heater, starts almost instantly.

This engine is not in a Dodge, it's in an '85 Chevy Suburban. I do not have charge-air preheaters. I think the previous owner "turned the fuel screw up" whatever that means. I can't even find that screw on the pump.

I have phoned Cummins and they do not show the KSB valve as a separate item for sale. Recommended I go to Bosch.

Any help you can provide would be geatly appreciated.
Jim
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Another question. Is there any way to set up this forum so that when I receive a reply to my post the forum sends an email to me notifying me that someone has sent me a reply?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy
Hi David. Thanks for responding. It does not want to start unless it's a warm summer day. Acts like the fuel has drained back to the tank. However, when I plug in the block heater, starts almost instantly.

This engine is not in a Dodge, it's in an '85 Chevy Suburban. I do not have charge-air preheaters. I think the previous owner "turned the fuel screw up" whatever that means. I can't even find that screw on the pump.

I have phoned Cummins and they do not show the KSB valve as a separate item for sale. Recommended I go to Bosch.

Any help you can provide would be geatly appreciated.
Jim
Jim, check your Private message.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM

I cut the plunger off my KSB solenoid, mistaking it for the FSS while stranded in the sun on a hot day. What effect will this have?