1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

knocking problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
knocking problem

hi guys so here it is i started my truck yesterday some knocking is coming out of it it was a little knocking it happened 2 miles from my house so today i drove the truck home when i put the truck in reverse the knocking stopped now the knocking is worse i did not drive it no more but just started it a couple of times to try to pin point that knocking i took the small plate that lets you see the fly wheel off i checked every bolt on the fly wheel there thight i cant see those middle bolts so i cant see if its a broken fly wheel or something else i took a broom put one end on the tranny oil pan theres no noise i tryied it on engine oil pan im not sure since thos engine make a lot of noise i put the broom on the housing next to fly wheel i here that knocking soud yesterday it sounded like a discharged push rod but now its a knocking

did any of you guys have a broken fly wheel what kind of sound is it a big knocking sound or ???

one other thing can the torque make that kind of noise cause yesterday it kind of sounded like some spare change going around in a dryer

like some of you guys no i changed my tranny 2 months ago maybe those guys forgot to thingten something
Old 11-15-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like a cracked or broken flex plate to me.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:13 PM

flex plate

what is the flex plate im not sure what it is

where is it
Old 11-15-2006, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DODGE 92
what is the flex plate im not sure what it is

where is it
The flex plate is the "flywheel" on an truck with an automatic (i.e. The part that bolts to the crankshaft on one side and to the torque converter on the other side and has the teeth on the outside for the starter.)
Old 11-15-2006, 09:08 PM

flywheel

so its the flywheel i checked the bolts that bolt on the torque no cracks there i guess if thats the problem its broken in the middle where its bolts on the cranckshaft

i think im gona seperate the tranny as soon as i get a chance im thinking of getting the drive shaft off and backing the tranny ive got a spare flywheel on my other truck i hope thats the trouble anything i should do to back the tranny how far can i back the tranny without having to unhook everything

im thinking of cheating a bit can those hoses take a bit of slack do i need something special to take flywheel off

cause the way i see it as long as i can get those middle bolts off i only need about 6 inches to get the flywheel off or am i rong
Old 11-15-2006, 09:25 PM

Well you could do it that way but I would suggest that you pull it completly out and replace the front pump seal on the transmission and the rear main seal on the engine while you are in there. Don't ask how I know that. That way you will not have to pull it out again. The flex plate will more than likely have cracks where it bolts to the crank. We had the same problem with flex plates on the chrysler industrial engines we had in the military with automatics.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:22 PM

tranny

my tranny got put there 2 month ago ill ask shop if they replaced those seals
Old 11-16-2006, 06:53 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There's a small re-enforcing plate that bolts on with the flex plate on the tranny side. this plate can hide some cracks on the flexplate that you can't see unless you pull it off. If the flex plate cracks there it can sound really bad like a thrown rod bearing.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:51 AM

plate

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
There's a small re-enforcing plate that bolts on with the flex plate on the tranny side. this plate can hide some cracks on the flexplate that you can't see unless you pull it off. If the flex plate cracks there it can sound really bad like a thrown rod bearing.
isnt that plate on a std tranny i got an auto or am i missing something
Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DODGE 92
isnt that plate on a std tranny i got an auto or am i missing something
No it's on the automatic.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:33 PM

knocking

ive started on my little project
so far drive shafts are out all the lines ,rods are out
i dont think ill have to unplug anything there seems to be enough play on the electrical to take up the slac

i put a 3/4 plywood under truck and im gona put a support on the back of the engine so it dont move after ill take 2 jacks put under tranny and slide it

all of this will be done as soon as i get my lazy but out of the house
Old 11-18-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck and BE CAREFUL! Make sure someone knows where you are etc etc etc...too many heavy parts are gonna be loose under there to risk it. Hope you find some answers....
Old 11-18-2006, 04:42 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
DO NOT have us hear about your hiney on the 6 O'Clock news!!

Be safe under there.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
That's right, be careful. That transmission's an awful heavy load if that NP205 transfer case is still hanging off the back. I wouldn't even chance it with a hoist and proper trans jack.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:51 PM

knocking

thanks for the cunserns guys i no im but i got no choice thats y im in no hurry with it im also gona put a bunch of 10000 lbs ratchet straps for safety so it dont fall on my pretty face

Quick Reply: knocking problem