1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Killing the KDP...Ran into Fan Problems and other Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killing the KDP...Ran into Fan Problems and other Q's

Ok....got some serious questions and some "shootin' the breeze" questions, here goes...

So my X-Mas break project was to at least kill the KDP, loctite the timing case bolts and replace my front main seal, to hopefully stop my oil leak, with one swift stroke. So far so good. Im taking my time. But when I was removing all of the components on the front of the engine I notice my fan had some wobble to it. The fan clutch is fine but the bearing inside the bracket that bolts to the block has play in it and if I hold the bracket in one hand and spin the fan I can feel a roughness in the rotation.

My question is, am I gonna have to have this bearing pressed out? Also, where would be the best place to get it?

Ive seen performance fans on Flex-a-Lite and I was just curious as to weather or not they really do make a difference. Would one be worth the money in return for performance, cooling and MPG?

Also, Ive heard of people swapping 24v oil pumps into 12vs, it this possible? What are the pro's of this?

Also, again, if anyone needs any pics of anything that I might have exposed now let me know before I start to bolt everything back together.

Have a great Christmas, as well.

::egg nog::
Old 12-24-2008, 07:59 PM

I put a single 12" electric fan on a 185 degree thermostat and i never over heat while towing a fully loaded 25 foot goose neck or in times of extended idling.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have no clue about the oil pump thing but a flexalite fan is a solid fan which means it spins all the time. our trucks have a clutch attached to the fan so when its cold it lets the fan slip (more power, faster warm up) and in the heat it locks up so the fan will work. i dont know about using a flex a lite fan on our trucks.

did you notice any power increase with the electric fan. gasser truck guys always complain about the lack of power when the fan clutch locks up but even in hot california heat towing i never felt any difference. there is a guy on ebay selling some NICE 16inch high CFM fans that are made is the usa with double, sealed ball bearings and they are covered for life.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:57 AM

The bearing is available. It is an OEM part so some distributors will not retail it. Search around in this forum, there have been a few threads before about getting an new fan bearing.

I replaced my fan bearing and was able to press the old one out and the new one in just using a vice or Bessy clamps, I forget which. Just take your time and do not damage the new bearing going in, if I recall correctly it is an expensive bearing.

Good Day,
JP.

P.S.: Here is one of those threads with some part numbers, etc.:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht=fan+bearing

JP.

P.P.S.: Oh ya, Merry Christmas.

JP.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flex-o-lite fans, I am using the high rpm flex fan(10,000 rpm) without the clutch. This has bigger blades then the regular flex o lite, and stiffer too. I think the regular flex fans would not have enough blade area to cool enough. I tow a lot so having a fan running all the time helps keep temps more in line. I have not noticed any differance in mpg's. For a daily driver not pulling anything I would stay with the stock setup, but heavy pulling(gross of around 20,000) I like the fan running all the time. The stock fan comes on when it is hot already and by then it is hard to cool it down from there. By cooling earlier it takes much longer to get too hot. Trans cooler under the bed is my next step. Bottom line if it works as it is for you now leave it alone.