1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Kick Down on a 3 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kick Down on a 3 Speed

I recently swapped motor and tranny in my truck. My 1990 Cummins engine did not come with the throttle linkage, which also holds the Kick Down Cable to the tranny. I retrofitted a Throttle linkage assembly from a 1992 cummins with a 4X4 Tranny. My tranny is not a 4X4. Now, if I connect the Kick Down Cable my throttle will only actuate about 20% of its range. The Kick Down Linkage is binding against the Cable. Do I need a different Cable?? Is it possible that the linkage on the tranny may be a "pull" and not a "push"?? Should I turn the linkage around so it is coming from the rear of the tranny and not the front?? Help!! Please!!
Old 03-11-2003, 09:28 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Kick Down on a 3 Speed

Guy,<br><br>The kickdown lever on the tranny is properly positioned when, at rest, it is in the full forward postion.<br>The linkage rod with the long slot in it, should have a space of approx. 1/8&quot; between the REAR of the slot and the mounting stud. As the throttle is pushed down, the mounting stud moves back till it finally touches the end of the slotted portion.<br>Have someone push the throttle all the way to the floor, and you under the truck.<br>The lever on the tranny (with cable attached facing forward) should move rearward until it no longer goes any further. At that point you should be able to manually move it rearward a tiny bit more before it max's out.<br>This &quot;bit of slack&quot; varies slightly with each truck/tranny, but is not a great amount.<br><br>So, you need to set the end gap on the slotted end under the hood (about 1/8&quot;, you can use a drill bit end) then check the travel underneath. The cable, were it mounts to the throttle bracket, has a lock tab. You lift the tab, move the slotted end, and then push the tab down to re-lock in position.<br>If it is too long or short you may have to get a different cable.<br>There may have been length differences between years/models but I'm not familiar with that.<br><br>bob.