1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

KDP mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 07:27 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
KDP mod

Installed the part to block the dowel hole. Cant really say Im totally confident with it. I added additional blue threadlocker to the bolt, but has anyone ever had this style back off and rotate counterclockwise? If that happened it would hit the gear. Part of me thinks I could make one that would contour/be inset to the casting and wouldnt be able to rotate. Am I over thinking this?

Old 02-18-2021, 09:22 PM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I have gotten to where I just tapped the KDP into its home all the way then tap the bore hole with a punch and hammer lightly to score the bore surface so it will not slide out the now slightly smaller bore hole. I then clean up the area and proceed with life.
I do pull the few case bolts out that can be reached easily, clean them up and re torque them down with fresh red loc-tite.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I have gotten to where I just tapped the KDP into its home all the way then tap the bore hole with a punch and hammer lightly to score the bore surface so it will not slide out the now slightly smaller bore hole. I then clean up the area and proceed with life.
I do pull the few case bolts out that can be reached easily, clean them up and re torque them down with fresh red loc-tite.
Yeah, I should have just staked the hole so it couldnt come out.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:08 AM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
Man that dude is thick. I just used a "tab" the same shape but way thinner metal. If it rotates around the gear would just chew it up & spit it out no trouble. I've even seen folks use like a coat hanger wire. Doesn't take much, just like the staking as discussed.

Have you already buttoned things up?
Old 02-20-2021, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
Man that dude is thick. I just used a "tab" the same shape but way thinner metal. If it rotates around the gear would just chew it up & spit it out no trouble. I've even seen folks use like a coat hanger wire. Doesn't take much, just like the staking as discussed.

Have you already buttoned things up?
It is back together, but its on a cradle, so easy enough to take apart. I get the thickness would prevent the bolt from backing out as it would hit the cover. But if it ever got loose and it rotated......
Old 02-20-2021, 08:11 AM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by mopar2ya
It is back together, but its on a cradle, so easy enough to take apart. I get the thickness would prevent the bolt from backing out as it would hit the cover. But if it ever got loose and it rotated......
If the idea of it rotating around and into the gear, which I can see as a legitimate problem, keeps you up at night.
I recommend, pulling it, staking the hole and returning the KDP retainer, if possible.
That way the problem is solved without possibly making another one.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
If the idea of it rotating around and into the gear, which I can see as a legitimate problem, keeps you up at night.
I recommend, pulling it, staking the hole and returning the KDP retainer, if possible.
That way the problem is solved without possibly making another one.
i agree, except Im scraping the part. Id hate for someone else to use it...😣
Old 02-20-2021, 09:21 PM

Staked the hole and made a tab. Much much happier!! Oliver, took your recommendation and red loctited all the bolts I could get to in there.. thanks for tip👍

The following users liked this post:
oliver foster (02-21-2021)