1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Just trying to get another one on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 08:18 AM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
Ride was tolerable. For him. Excellent for me. We put two new shocks on yesterday and all the sqeeking went away. The passenger side shock took a hit somehow on the way up here. The shaft was binding. Had a big dent in it. I would say the truck is getting close to 20 +-
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (03-07-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 08:22 PM

So we made it through the winter storm of the year. Got lucky in rock springs Wyoming and only had about 10 inches. Weather is warmer today Had to make a trip to the lumber store cause they couldn’t deliver till Monday. Just thought I’d post a pic.
Taylorm2121 (03-18-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 05:12 AM
KRB

Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts
Cool. Did you figure up what all that plywood weighed? Finally got a smooth ride too huh?
Old 03-19-2021, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
Cool. Did you figure up what all that plywood weighed? Finally got a smooth ride too huh?
its ad out 2500#. It’s on the overload springs but the tires aren’t srceaming for help and the steering isn’t floaty. The weight is evenly distributed across the bed. I think a 4x4 pallet of the same weight would have been to much. I’m I wouldn’t hit a corner like a sports car though. Lol. I’m about to drive 30 miles this morning to work.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:43 AM

Of all the trucks I have I think this one has become my favorite. I really wish it was 3 wheel drive. ( I know Ollie. I’m really considering bringing a trailer to your place this summer and get the parts. FYI ). I’ve been looking for an extended cab 4x4 doner out here that I possibly could drag home with me but **** people want an arm and a leg for them. I really need to sale the red 1990 w250 I have. It’s been p pumped and is cool but the older I get the more I like the little be pump. Simplicity is the way to go
Old 03-19-2021, 05:55 AM
KRB

You're up early, still on eastern time?

Youall are in a good spot to find a donor out there - maybe. Climate is easy on sheet metal but farm & ranch hands can be hard on mechanicals and the sheet metal!
Old 03-19-2021, 12:37 PM

Alright. I got a problem and would like to know what yAlls opinion is. At of the blue the truck is loosing prime as soon as u shut it off. I can crack 1,3, and 5 injectors. Push the primer on the lift pump, turn it over till I see fuel. Close injectors and it will start and stumble till it clears the rest of the air In. 2,4, and 6. Runs smoothe as can be. No smoke and has power. Turn it off then I have to do the process again. I’m thinking it the life pump going bad. All opinions are much appreciated. Thought I’d try on this thread before I started a new one.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:31 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,675 Posts
I would be very suspect of all fuel connections from the motor to the fuel tank, as it could easily just be sucking in some air.

You just swapped around "fuel sending units" in this truck right?...so start checking the connections at the top of the tank and any other ones you recently removed and re-attached.

Does it get any better if you fill the fuel tank and park the truck nose down on an incline when not running?
Old 03-19-2021, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I would be very suspect of all fuel connections from the motor to the fuel tank, as it could easily just be sucking in some air.

You just swapped around "fuel sending units" in this truck right?...so start checking the connections at the top of the tank and any other ones you recently removed and re-attached.

Does it get any better if you fill the fuel tank and park the truck nose down on an incline when not running?
I’ll check the fuel lines tonight. I tried nose down. No luck. The thing is I woke up this morning and it fired right up. Drove it to work no problems. Had my son move it to the back to the crane. He went to start it no start. I went down. Got it started. Stop at the fuel cell to fill it thinking it might be low. Did not turn it off. Drove it back to the office and shut it down. As soon as the motor stopped turning over tried to start it. No start. I just called Napa and got lift pump waiting on me when I get off.

I just hope it’s not the injection pump. It runs really smooth when it’s started. No smoke. No miss. Is there a check valve in the injection pump that keeps the pressure up when it’s not running? The injection pump does have a small leak. I’ll try to get some pics In a little bit.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:47 AM

On the way to motel. Gonna put lift pump on and check all fuel lines today.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:10 AM

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
I ran high dollar fuel/hydraulic lines on mine. There's a damned O-ring in the pick up assembly I am blaming. There was nothing wrong with the factory lines as far as I can tell. All that frikken plastic going into the tank. The Oring in the supply line is another probability. It's been a couple of months since I did it.

There needs to be a kit to replace the whole damned assembly.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:47 PM

So I got it back and put the new lift pump on. Bleary it and sh hit on the first lick. Let it idle to clear the rest of the air from the the lines. Shut it down. Let it set for about 10 minutes. Fired right up

Even got to use the vice for the first time
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan s:
edwinsmith (03-20-2021), Rug_Trucker (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 03:43 AM
KRB

I like simple easy fixes.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:35 AM

So I e put on a new lifer pump. It seem to fix it. But then the next day it started again. Run fine when started but if you shut it down it has trouble restarting. So I noticed that the fuel filter what leaking a little. Changed it. Prime. Didn’t even bleed the injectors and it hit the first time just like it’s supposed to. Drive to get groceries. Drive back home. All is good. Go to start it the next day. Same thing. It started but slow to do it. Filter is still wet at the top. I’m gonna pull the filter this afternoon and see why it won’t seal properly. I’m pretty sure this is my problem but thought I’d ask if anyone has had this problem before. I noticed that there is a plastic piece that the filter is sealing to. Could it be cracked. Thanks
Old 03-28-2021, 06:58 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,675 Posts
Are you talking about the fuel pre heater that is sandwiched between the filter and the motor?
Yes. That can be a place where you get air leaks. It can be tightened up as well, and also has a gasket above it that might be almost 30 years old.

It can also be removed and a shorter threaded nipple can be installed that you just screw your fuel filter on to.

Like I said a week or two ago, it sounds like you have an air leak in the fuel system problem, more that a lift pump problem.
nonrev (03-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Just trying to get another one on the road.