1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Just trying to get another one on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 06:51 AM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Hot Springs NC? We love that place. It's a good stopping point on the way to visiting family in Greer SC. We always eat at the Spring Creek Tavern. Usually the fish & chips and a couple local IPAs on the deck by the creek. Neat little town.

have you checked the frame behind the steering box for cracks? Or is that only an issue for Ws?

thats where we ate at yesterday

edit. If you go to hot springs on 25/70 you go right by my house. I live just before wolf creek bridge
Old 02-22-2021, 12:05 PM
KRB

Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts
Cool! I’ve been by your place dozens of times then. We could go interstate but why hurry and miss all the nice scenery? We’ll be traveling by there again soon, my dad bought my uncle’s low mile Jeep Liberty last summer but not gone to get it due to, well, you know... For some reason, at 93 he decided he just shouldn’t be driving anymore.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:00 PM

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan s
thats where we ate at yesterday

edit. If you go to hot springs on 25/70 you go right by my house. I live just before wolf creek bridge
Dan, I had no idea that you were located in North Carolina, I'm just down the mountain in Shelby NC.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Hot Springs NC? We love that place. It's a good stopping point on the way to visiting family in Greer SC. We always eat at the Spring Creek Tavern. Usually the fish & chips and a couple local IPAs on the deck by the creek. Neat little town.

have you checked the frame behind the steering box for cracks? Or is that only an issue for Ws?
KRB, one of our farms is located in Inman SC, weren't you needing a headliner for an extended cab? If so, I have a spare, pick it up next time you're in Greer!
Old 02-23-2021, 06:13 PM
KRB

Taylorm, I've been a stone's throw from that place probably too! Small world this 1st Gen family. And you have a great memory by the way, I do need a club cab headliner. I took mine out to recover and had is stored "safely", hanging from the shop rafters but after a barn cat had a litter of kittens in it I tossed it once I noticed it sagging. I'll take you up on that offer, we're planning a trip for April after feeding is over and before hay & clipping pasture. PM me a price if you would. Thanks,
Old 02-23-2021, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Taylorm, I've been a stone's throw from that place probably too! Small world this 1st Gen family. And you have a great memory by the way, I do need a club cab headliner. I took mine out to recover and had is stored "safely", hanging from the shop rafters but after a barn cat had a litter of kittens in it I tossed it once I noticed it sagging. I'll take you up on that offer, we're planning a trip for April after feeding is over and before hay & clipping pasture. PM me a price if you would. Thanks,
I'd bet so, if you come down interstate 26, I'm only few miles off the Hwy 11 Campobello exit. It's funny what I can actually remember sometimes, unfortunately I never remember the information I need at the moment I need it...lol. We can definitely work something out, but you have to promise to actually install it and not let the cats at it.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:39 AM

I actually live in Del rio Tennessee. Just across the state line. Been here about 20 years.
The following users liked this post:
Taylorm2121 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 03:57 PM

Oliver. This is what I’m talking about in the pm
Old 02-25-2021, 05:20 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
IDK what you were talking about but that plug in the second picture failed on me one night and had to be jumpered to get the truck to start. It was the one next to the battery that failed on me.

Edwin
Old 02-25-2021, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
IDK what you were talking about but that plug in the second picture failed on me one night and had to be jumpered to get the truck to start. It was the one next to the battery that failed on me.

Edwin
I had to steel one from my 1990 to get the flatbed running. I need one to get the 1990 Back to chargeing. I have been trying to sale the 1990. All of a sudden my son wants to by it. He is done with the 2016 Chevy let down. (It’s a I told you so situation) lol.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:09 AM
KRB

The siren song of the shiny new Duramax lost it's allure huh? I think newer vehicles have more weight in wiring than they do in frame & sheet metal. We shall welcome him into the fold!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:30 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,675 Posts
Dan,
I got your PM and replied, that I can dig up an alternator harness for you.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:33 PM

1600 mile trip

So we left on Tuesday. For here this morning around 10:00 am. Truck did great as a whole. The Trans I got from Oliver held up great. Gonna throw up some pics.

The photos above are from the day before we left. Melinials can’t drive old trucks. He hit someone in town cause “ the truck won’t stop”. Lucky no rad or intercooler damage. I’ll fix it when we get home in may.

Stopped to catch the sun rising

My son. Not sure why he is up there

God only knows where we were in Kansas

Rearing at the same pace in Kansas

This is really 75

Colorado state line

My navigator not doing his job. Lol
Old 03-04-2021, 05:40 PM

Our new home in rock springs Wyoming till mid May.

as I said. Truck done great. The only probly I think it has is. It has a 354 ring and pinion. I think it could use 323. Fuel mpg were down from what I thought it should be. I’ll know more when I do the math. I figure about 18 to 20 mpg on the way out here. I was hoping for closer to 30. Also. Does anyone sale grease able control arm bushings. The thing sqeeks really bad. It’s annoying as he!!
Old 03-06-2021, 05:40 AM
KRB

Love the pics! Well, except for the first two...

Glad the old truck got you there OK. Did the ride wear you out or was it tolerable? Low to mid 20sMPG is realistic but 30 might require a splitter or something, IDK, but others here have searched for that elusive sweet spot but I don't think it's easy?

Not sure about greasable control arm bushings (never owned a 2WD) but my KJ recently developed horrible creaking from the front sway bar. I shot some silicone (spray version Oliver, couldn't find any brush on...) and that shut it up for now. Should work until I can get it back home to swap out bushings.

You guys enjoy your work up there, be some good father & son bonding time. Maybe in his spare time he can work on that fender he customized...

Quick Reply: Just trying to get another one on the road.