1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Just trying to get another one on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is a my topic with invite

Where is a my topic with invite? Hmm i cant find it now ;/ wizz
Old 02-19-2021, 06:49 AM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
So the other day I did new valve cover gaskets. I noticed that the springs all had a white stripe down them. The last time I did a set of 60 pound springs they had the same markings. My question is did the factory springs have the same mark. I have a set of 60 pound springs just laying here but if they have already been replaced why do it it again. Gues I could pull one and compare to a stock one and an upgraded one. Just thought I’d ask. Also got to digging around and found the 374 spring. (Mentioned it in another thread). Well I found that I had it installed in the w250 that I have. I never trimmed that spring and it worked well. Why is it that some people say you have to trim it. Thinking I am going to open the injection pump today and have a look inside. The power screw still has the collar on it so I know it’s not turned up. So far the only thing I have found that has been done is it has a aftermarket fuel pin in it and the smoke screw has been fooled with. It’s been a while since I have done a set of springs. Tell if I’m wrong. 1@6 ,2&4.3&5 pistons should come to the top at the same time so as not to drop a valve in the cylinder. Hope that’s not confusing
Old 02-20-2021, 07:29 PM

So yesterday I pulled the valves covers to check the lash on the valves. I also pulled both valve springs off number one cylinder. As it turns out the truck has 60 pound springs on all valves. I did not put the 374 spring in it or turn up the fuel. The reason behind this is because on March 1 the truck will be going on a 1600 mile trip to Wyoming. It runs really well right now and I will not be pulling anything. The odometer stopped working at 260,000 and it has little to no blow by. Today I had some help. My son got back from working in Texas. And we pulled the fuel tank and rebuilt the “sending unit” from a parts truck I have. Cleaned the inside of tank. Rebuilt the entire drive shaft including the carrier bearing. Put a new trans mount in it because I didn’t do it when I got it from Oliver. Thanks again Ollie. Got it all back together except for the u joint on the yoke. Some how the threads got messed up but I tapped them back out and all is good. I have yet to drive the truck because I need to go to get new bolts for the yoke. I didn’t get any pics today because we were really kicking some a$$ as far as getting all this done. Thanks for all the help this forum has been. When we strike out on the first I’ll try to post pics along the way.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:35 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,675 Posts
I am glad that Getrag is working out well for you!

If you have not already, drain out the oil in it and fill it up with a good synthetic oil 5W-30 will before the big trip. I like to over fill it by 1 QT.
Options on how to get the last QT in are, to pour it in the top shifter hole, or use the top PTO bolt hole and squeeze it in with a gear oil QT style screw on nipple.
I have also hear of people parking their truck on an angled hill and squeeze it in from the normal fill hole as much of the oil is over on the other side of the case, but have not used that technique myself.

Sounds like a great road trip, I have never been to Wyoming. Are you are taking the trip with your son?
Old 02-21-2021, 07:34 AM

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Wyoming is famous for their July blizzards.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rug_Trucker
Wyoming is famous for their July blizzards.

So you are saying bring some tire chains?
Sounds like a good idea with a 2wd dually.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
So you are saying bring some tire chains?
Sounds like a good idea with a 2wd dually.
Yep. Good luck finding them right now. There is something out there called tire socks. Not sure what that is. I never got in a chain up situation when I was over the road. I only ran for 15 months OTR. I-80 is pretty flat of what I remembered. They have permanent barricade/gates that go down like railroad crossing gates to shut down the interstate.

I would also want a better heater like an Espar, or Webasto. 60* heat out of the factory heater isn't adequate to me.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:41 AM

Yes. My son and I are going out there to do a shutdown on a powerhouse. We won’t get back till mid to late may. His momma bailed out on on this one. That’s what happens when u finish a house. Lol. I think I will do the synthetic oil one day this week. I used heavier oil than that when I filled it. It’s a little stiff first thing in the morning till it warms up. As far as chains go I got some coming this week off Amazon. Me and my wife just made a run to hot springs North Carolina this morning. The truck is smooth as glass now. It will cruise at 70 pretty good.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:51 AM

The truck does have the noise associated with turning the wheel all the way to lock. It pops and creeks. So does the 93 that I have. But I do have something bumping around under the passenger side. I checked everything this morning and all was tight. I think I’m gonna change the motor mounts this afternoon just because that’s all I haven’t changed.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:17 AM

When a 1st gen guy says his truck makes popping and creaking noises, the first thing I always think of is the cowl cracks I find on almost all my 1st, especially the 4x4 ones.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:00 PM

Talking

When a 1st gen guy says his truck makes popping and creaking noises, the first thing I always think of is the cowl cracks I find on almost all my 1st, especially the 4x4 ones.
I have a creak in my truck. I think it's only 1 direction. Not driving it right now due to needing a wheel bearing. Not bad, the ground will defrost by tomorrow and turn into muck. .

On oil in my cars I use 10-30 semi-synthetic Rotella diesel oil. It is very high in detergents for cars as all diesel rated oils are.. I used it in my '93 Corolla until I T-boned a Chevy Astro van that tried to do a U-turn on I-40. At 246K the cylinder head was clean inside. Walmart around here sells it in gallons and 2.5 gallons. $17.XX gallon. I few coins less in the jumbo size.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rug_Trucker
I have a creak in my truck. I think it's only 1 direction. Not driving it right now due to needing a wheel bearing. Not bad, the ground will defrost by tomorrow and turn into muck. .

On oil in my cars I use 10-30 semi-synthetic Rotella diesel oil. It is very high in detergents for cars as all diesel rated oils are.. I used it in my '93 Corolla until I T-boned a Chevy Astro van that tried to do a U-turn on I-40. At 246K the cylinder head was clean inside. Walmart around here sells it in gallons and 2.5 gallons. $17.XX gallon. I few coins less in the jumbo size.

I was recommending the Getrag Transmission fluid I like to use, for the Getrag 5 speed I shipped down to him, from Dan to swap out the auto in his truck.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:23 PM
KRB

Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts
Hot Springs NC? We love that place. It's a good stopping point on the way to visiting family in Greer SC. We always eat at the Spring Creek Tavern. Usually the fish & chips and a couple local IPAs on the deck by the creek. Neat little town.

have you checked the frame behind the steering box for cracks? Or is that only an issue for Ws?
Old 02-21-2021, 04:16 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
I am glad that Getrag is working out well for you!

If you have not already, drain out the oil in it and fill it up with a good synthetic oil 5W-30 will before the big trip. I like to over fill it by 1 QT.
Options on how to get the last QT in are, to pour it in the top shifter hole, or use the top PTO bolt hole and squeeze it in with a gear oil QT style screw on nipple.
I have also hear of people parking their truck on an angled hill and squeeze it in from the normal fill hole as much of the oil is over on the other side of the case, but have not used that technique myself.

Sounds like a great road trip, I have never been to Wyoming. Are you are taking the trip with your son?
Somebody had the idea of using a street elbow in the regular fill hole. I could only get 1/2 quart extra in when I did that to mine. Next change I'll add a nipple and a cap to the setup.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:29 PM

I have also seen a few guys weld in a new, higher fill plug into the PTO cover than re-install it as a way to get that extra QT in easily.

Quick Reply: Just trying to get another one on the road.