1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Just trying to get another one on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 12:25 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Looks like your hand has been in the fan more than once, ............….are you one of those hard learners.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:58 PM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
Looks like your hand has been in the fan more than once, ............….are you one of those hard learners.

now that’s funny. Yes I was a hard learner when I was younger.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:07 AM

Injection pump tuning

I know this is talked about all the time but....I’m down to the fine tuning now and would like some opinions.

right now the star wheel is up from the very bottom 1 1/2 turns. Smoke screw is turned down not sure how far. I had it all the way up but the truck could barely take off so I turned it down until I could ease off the clutch in 2 gear and it would take off with out my foot on the pedal. Right now the truck is Smokey when accelerating in less your east with it. Now if you give it the pedal it will black out the sky. I don’t really like that. It pulls my camper well enough like it is but I’d like to clean it up a little more. Should I turn the star wheel up more or use the smoke screw.

details on pump are 3800 rpm spring. Fuel pin. I did turn up the power screw when I did the spring but only maybe one turn at most. It also has the hvlp on it. Injectors are 5x13. Thanks

The truck will easily turn 30 psi.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:27 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,675 Posts
I know I like installing the stiffer AFC spring from a non intercooled VE pump to slow down / lessen the travel of the fuel pin when the boost hits.
Then adjust the star wheel to add more pressure to limit fuel pin travel at the higher PSIs you are now running.
Do this till the smoke clears up to where you like it.

I have mine set to where it will hardly smoke unless I floor it at zero boost and then only tilt the boost hits, where it cleans right up.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I know I like installing the stiffer AFC spring from a non intercooled VE pump to slow down / lessen the travel of the fuel pin when the boost hits.
Then adjust the star wheel to add more pressure to limit fuel pin travel at the higher PSIs you are now running.
Do this till the smoke clears up to where you like it.

I have mine set to where it will hardly smoke unless I floor it at zero boost and then only tilt the boost hits, where it cleans right up.

so basically your saying the adjustment needs to come from the afc spring and not the smole
screw
Old 06-03-2021, 11:26 AM

So. I did what Oliver suggested and turned up the star wheel another complete turn. I think that puts me at about 2 1/2 turns up from dead bottom. The following pics are after the adjustment.

This around 70 miles an hour. Smoke is a lot less. But the slide pin is now leaking. So I have this to put on when I get home

I bought this from Pensacola diesel. It is a tuned pump with fuel
pin and 3200 spring. I put this same type pump on the 93 truck and it seems to work great. The only thing is that I currently have the 3800 spring in the pump that is in it. It will be interesting to see what the difference is.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with a 98 12 valve

My 98 12 valve had seemed like it had blown a oil cooler because it sent a ton of oil into the rad overflowing it. I then fixed it and was flushing the rad but I noticed after Filling my oil up it went down a little I was like oh ok I’ll fill it back up. Did two more flushes (filling with water and powdered soap driving till hot then draining) and I checked the oil again Because I noticed there was a ton of oil still and black looking droplets in a more watered down grey oil. And my oil was more than half way down the fill line. So I’m going like what the heck it’s gone way down? Would that mean I have a blown head gasket or at least a leaking one? The truck runs and drive good but like I said oil in the wrong places I guess. The oil cooler was also from a auto wrecker no knowledge on engine I’m came off of other than it was clean and a nice motor. And I see no visible leakes of oil so far. And places to check? Head gasket? Others any help appreciated
Old 08-31-2021, 01:12 PM

Ac help plz

Fusable link is good

Blues wire is hot when turned on

Blue wire has NO power on either side of this plug

If I unplug it here I can get compressor to engage with a switch. So compressor works

i have shocked the fuse in dash. It is good. Any suggestions is GREATLY APPRECIATED. I’m down in Tampa and it is hot.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:39 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan s
i have shocked the fuse in dash. It is good. Any suggestions is GREATLY APPRECIATED. I’m down in Tampa and it is hot.
I used to live in Tampa. My condolences.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:22 PM

I’ll be down here until Xmas. I straight wired the fan and compressor about an hour ago. No cold air at all. I’ll check the charge on the system tomar. I still don’t understand why I can’t get power to the plugs like it should.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:18 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan s
I’ll be down here until Xmas. I straight wired the fan and compressor about an hour ago. No cold air at all. I’ll check the charge on the system tomar. I still don’t understand why I can’t get power to the plugs like it should.
There is a low pressure switch near the firewall on the low pressure side of the system. If you're out of gas that would explain why you get no cooling as well as why you get no power to the compressor. The switch is to protect the compressor in case all the gas leaks out. You may not have lost the oil but it won't circulate without gas. Put a gauge on it and check.

Edwin
Old 09-01-2021, 06:21 AM

That’s what I plan on doing today after work. I’m gonna go get vac pump and pull a vacuum on.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:43 PM

It’s front end rebuild time

Sooo. I had to make a trip south of San Antonio Texas last week and I10 took its toll on the front of my truck. I’m gonna absolutely have to rebuild it. I would like to level the truck when I do. I have a blown out upper control arm and was thinking of using the ffs uppers. Has anyone used them. When I start I’m gonna do every bushing in the front end. Uppers,lowers,sway bar, and strut rod bushings. All tie rod ends and idler arm. A total rebuild. I’d like to know what y’all prefer for bushings. Also where to pick them up. I have been looking on line but there are so many options it made my head hurt. Thanks in advance as usual
Old 03-26-2022, 06:05 AM

Front end rebuild

Luckily the Airbnb had a place to put it out of the weather

Got it all tore out

New far from stock upper control arm

This will have to be trimmed back to clear the control arm. The bump stop will stay

This has to be factory. It is toast

Leveling spring and spacer
Old 07-19-2024, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

@Mexstan - I appreciate the suggestion to check out Ford forums and specifically Kelderman suspensions. I'll definitely take a look at what they offer.

@NIOMARVIN83 - Your recommendations are super helpful! I'm interested in the air suspension kits from Kelderman and the heavy-duty shocks from Bilstein or Fox. I'll also look into upgraded leaf springs since I do plan on carrying heavy loads frequently.

I hadn't considered the need for larger tires and high-performance brakes, but that makes a lot of sense given the towing and off-roading I'll be doing. Upgrading the cooling system sounds like a smart move to prevent overheating. Thanks for the advice!

If anyone has more insights or personal experiences with these upgrades, I'd love to hear them. Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: Just trying to get another one on the road.