1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Just starting out - your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just starting out - your opinions

OK, I have a 91 D250 auto with 237K on it. I want to see a little improvement so here is my plan. Please share your opinions if there is something I am planning that I should not do, something I am not doing that I should, or does everything sound OK?<br><br>Gonna start off with some instrumentation - pyro, boost and tranny temp. Probably at the same time as installing the pyro, I am going to replace the stock 21cm[sup]2[/sup] housing with a 16cm[sup]2[/sup]. Once this is done, I will likely turn up the pump a little.<br><br>Later, I will decide if I need a tach or some Bosch 185 injectors. I can do all the initial work for well under $500. Not real sure what the tach would provide since my rig has the auto. The gains that sound possible make that real cost effective.<br><br>The tranny is my big concern but I haven't really found anything that can help there, short of shelling out BIG $$. So how does this sound? What is this I have heard about a KDP? I can't find any reference to it in Chilton's.<br><br>Thanks from a complete newbie.<br>Carl
Old 05-14-2003, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Just starting out - your opinions

Hi Carl
We are not all that far from each other so if I can be of any assistance in your project just let me know. I can also do your KDP at no cost to you. I have always felt that guages are an excellant start then let her breath. K&amp;N air filter, swiss cheese air box or Old Smokey BHAF air filter mount and a 3.5 or 4 in. exhaust. The 16cm turbo is an excellant first choise. Your concerns about the tranny are well founded but if you don't push that tranny too hard you should be OK.

If you haven't already found the North West Bombers site try www.nwbombers.com - you'll like that group.

Also there is a BOMB (Better Off Modified Baby) party at Stampede Dodge in Nampa ID - just across the OR/ID border at Ontario - on 6/7/03. There will be some good 1st Gen people there to help get you started. On 5/15/03 in Portland at Cummins NW from 6pm to 8pm Cummins will host their Spring Rally - if you can make it - I'll be there so we can talk if you're so inclined.
Bob
Old 05-15-2003, 01:19 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

If you progress with your modifications then at some point you'll reach the level were your HP will begin &quot;moving&quot; your TC's stall speed up. A tach is a good investment.<br><br>You can improve the drivetrain in general by: using a more &quot;aggressive oil&quot; like Dexron type II. The normal type 3 oils are great, don't get me wrong. The type 4's are are even better at dealing with high temps, but also allow for a bit more slipping internally as I have been led to understand.<br>So, look at a more aggressive oil to minumize slippage, improve shift firmnes.<br>Have a full/regular tranny service done, including band adjustments (IF NEEDED!!!).<br>Next when you get the service work done, consider asking the tech to raise your idle line pressure to about 57-58psi (the manual allows for a range between 52-60psi. If you go much over the 57/58 range then it starts getting hard on the front drum lip seal.<br>Next have the WOT line pressure raise to approx. 105 psi. (please double check that value first) You are aiming for a pressure setting that equates to about 80-85% of the max rating. <br>Doing this will help reduce slippage, improve the firmness in each gear/shift, and perhaps lower some of your tranny temps a bit too.<br><br>To use a middle of the road solution for the tranny, get yourself a shift kit installed and a full pressure test of the system. Any GOOD tranny shop can run the guages over your tranny and tell you what shape it's in, from there you can make the call that suits your situation.<br><br>Hope that is of some value to you...<br><br>Bob
Old 05-15-2003, 03:57 AM

Bob B, I wish I could make it to NW Cummins Spring Rally. Unfortunately, I sit on a city gov. board and we meet Thursday night. I assume from your offer, the KDP IS an issue with my year truck? Somewhere I read 94 up but I didn't think that sounded right. I would like to take you up on that offer to solve that concern.<br><br>Bushy, HOLY COW!! That is more than I would have ever even thought to consider on the Tranny. Mucho thanks for the info. I've been toying with going in and having the trans fluid flushed so I have all new in. Haven't priced that out yet.<br><br>Guess I should probably be considering opening up the exhaust with a 3 1/2&quot; sstem as well?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:09 PM

First of all welcome, all the mods listed so far sound good to me. Opening the exhaust up helps quite a bit that was the first thing I did to mine, I hope your not running a muffler on that CTD .All I have to say is that school sucks! I cant get to CNW on thursday because of class. Is there any other meetings going on where I can meet some first gen. lovers. Carl whats your truck look like maybe I've seen it around Longview.

Paws
Old 05-15-2003, 03:57 PM

Paws
The same offer I made to Carl applies to you - if I can help in any way just let me know. If you would like we can also get together and Kill that dowel pin. You might want to click on the North West Bombers link they are just up the road and we can always use another 1st gen. ;D ;D
Bob