1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

just so you know, first gen project coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the purpose of the site was to help people in thier persuit of diesel power in whatever way possible. I was just trying to tell what I know as some are very misinformed on the GM diesel and engines in general. FWIW I look forward to diesel powers rumored first gen build as I am sure we all do. I read the statement about emailing my text to diesel power magazine. In response if I did I think that would make me seem full of myself. I would rather be selected from some elses referral or on basis of my credentials.

The rest of what I have to say is way, way off topic. So this is how some of you treat people? Bash and slam away when you are wrong. Isn't that how the ***** came to power?

For the record I don't follow or associate myself with the University of Nebraska or its athletic program, just in case someone wanted to bash that too.

Believe it or not guys, high prices on all diesel trucks, first gens run $6500 minimum. Very high prices on diesel due to state fuel taxes (close to 25 cents per gallon), 8th highest property taxes in the US and rising, we pay property tax on vehicles till they're 11 years old and on homes forever. New vehicle licensing fees every year forever. low wages and a declining job market. Next to no factory or union jobs. Housing cost average $144,000 (low nationally) but high when average wage is a mere $27,000. We have one of the poorest counties in the nation here and last I heard there were a few more added to the list. Banks won't loan much money to the working class so purchases are tough for many. Not to mention we can't run off to anyplace because were all broke.

Last I remembered half the state of south dakota was down here looking for work MJDIESEL. So whats so bad about where I live that I require insulting?

When you live in california BEGLE1 old vehicles are cheap and plentiful, there isn't much demand, wheras here there is high demend and not much for supply. Plus agriculture ups prices on equipment as many farmers pay whatever for trucks in cash, as they need them yesterday, often way over book without reasearching. Thats just the way it is.

Anyway I digress, this thread is a waste of time. The admins are probably on the way.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by crossy
they were only towing 6K#s and the 6.5TD could not maintain 65mph up a slight grade where they could run 80 with the 454. needless to ay that the 6.5 easily won the fuel mileage contest.
If you aren't making any power you don't burn much fuel.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by stillsmokin
I thought the purpose of the site was to help people in thier persuit of diesel power in whatever way possible. I was just trying to tell what I know as some are very misinformed on the GM diesel and engines in general. FWIW I look forward to diesel powers rumored first gen build as I am sure we all do. I read the statement about emailing my text to diesel power magazine. In response if I did I think that would make me seem full of myself. I would rather be selected from some elses referral or on basis of my credentials.

The rest of what I have to say is way, way off topic. So this is how some of you treat people? Bash and slam away when you are wrong. Isn't that how the ***** came to power?

For the record I don't follow or associate myself with the University of Nebraska or its athletic program, just in case someone wanted to bash that too.

Believe it or not guys, high prices on all diesel trucks, first gens run $6500 minimum. Very high prices on diesel due to state fuel taxes (close to 25 cents per gallon), 8th highest property taxes in the US and rising, we pay property tax on vehicles till they're 11 years old and on homes forever. New vehicle licensing fees every year forever. low wages and a declining job market. Next to no factory or union jobs. Housing cost average $144,000 (low nationally) but high when average wage is a mere $27,000. We have one of the poorest counties in the nation here and last I heard there were a few more added to the list. Banks won't loan much money to the working class so purchases are tough for many. Not to mention we can't run off to anyplace because were all broke.

Last I remembered half the state of south dakota was down here looking for work MJDIESEL. So whats so bad about where I live that I require insulting?

When you live in california BEGLE1 old vehicles are cheap and plentiful, there isn't much demand, wheras here there is high demend and not much for supply. Plus agriculture ups prices on equipment as many farmers pay whatever for trucks in cash, as they need them yesterday, often way over book without reasearching. Thats just the way it is.

Anyway I digress, this thread is a waste of time. The admins are probably on the way.
I think you're taking this a little too seriously.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by stillsmokin

Uhh, like wannadiesel said, I think that you are taking this entire thread FAR too seriously. I just expected you to recognize that I was joking around and maybe make a joke about South Dakota or something. I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with you or something. I just expected that someone from Nebraska would be cooler than that! JK (jk means joke )

When I graduate from college this spring, I may find a job in Nebraska. With that in mind, I obviously don't mind Nebraska (at least its better than Minnesota or Iowa ).

Anyway, BACK ON TOPIC, I think that it is great to hear that diesel power magazine will be involved with some projects with the old diesels. It will be a relief to see an article that doesn't include a chip, tuner or 20 inch wheels. I can't even remember much involving the 2nd gen 12 valve since I started recieving the magazine.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I wouldn't count on the whole "no 20 inch wheels" thing.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:21 PM

You're probably right
Old 12-27-2006, 06:01 AM

I maintained the Ft Worth area fleet of US Postal Service trucks for years. We had a lot of big box trucks with 6.5's in them. We had virtually zero problems with them. I'd say 2 injection pump failures a year over our whole section of the fleet. We had more Turbo 400 trans fail than engines. Good powerplant overall, just not real powerful.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Begle1
$2,000 isn't that much, is it?

I couldn't find a single 6.5 in Southern California for below $3,500; 6.2's run for $2,000 in a realy beat up chassis; Cummins are virtually non-existant for below $4,000...

What's the most anybody call pull out of a 6.5? 400 HP with $10,000 in engine modifications?
I know a guy that's a 6.5 freak... He's a Nascar truck guy (not a big name, but the guy has good budget and access to a lot of people/stuff/etc.) I've tried to get him to step into the light and go CTD

anyhow, he says the 6.5's like to spit the crank out at around 350rwhp

this guy is building what he hopes is the "end all" 6.5... I don't even want to know what he's got in it... custom billet crank, billet roller cam, jessel roller rockers, highly ported heads, Dell titanium valves, billet rods, custom pistons, etc. It's in a 2wd Blazer. he "hopes to run 13's" LOL!

I wouldn't spend the money on it, but he seems to enjoy it and isn't exactly breaking the bank in doing so
Old 12-27-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
c,mon. I didn't want this to turn into a 6.2/6.5 bash , all of us here on the CUMMINS board , and this fine website, are here because of our cummins. what I'm asking is for anyone with good input to whip up a nice request on how this should go about this build and suggest some of the mild to wild mods. just mainly ask them not to P-pump right away. Dang, I'll donate my truck. it's a perfect candidate. crossy
Old 12-27-2006, 10:04 PM

hope i don't ruffle feathers but go to here some of these boys do lots of work to make decent 6.5 rigs. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php do not go there if not interested in gm diesels
Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Banned

we're all about persuing diesel happiness... and part of that is trying to talk people out of wasting precious time/money/LIFE on a 6.5!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:15 PM

i see it the same way . i do drive my half ton short box 4x4 and enjoy it . when i changed the motor out i didn't know they had a 4bt that i could have put in it. or it would be there now. but when i want to haul a load my first gen 6bt treats me great.