1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Just Bought my first 6BT Cummins. New to the Forum TOO!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just Bought my first 6BT Cummins. New to the Forum TOO!

Just joined the other day and purchased my first 6bt cummins. Bought it from Crossy. its a 91 with just over 100,000 miles.

Soon as it stops raining i'll have my own pictures.

I plan to run this with waste oil and fix up the interior. Once spring time hits it'll get the same paint job my 85 had factory, a sorta pearl dark blue.

Until then im looking for the best way to utilize the 3 drums of waste oil that we have. The full one is all motor oil and some gear oil. The other two are half way filled with trans and syn oil.

From what ive read the syn oil is useless. Only keeps the exhaust thoroughly coated in syn oil. I need to figure out what to do with this drum. Only gains about 22 quts a year.

But as an immediate goal i want to start mixing waste oil safely. Not to become another vehicle on the side of the road wearing its battery down with hazard lights on.

Also have access to an exhaust housing and a stage IV pump upgrade. I would like to know what would be more beneficial. Either the quick spool of a exhaust housing, or the better flow of the pump upgrade. Or both, but will they cancel each other out?

Oh and to fix the leaky trans cooler, haven't decided weather to upgrade just the cooler. Or upgrade and bend aluminum lines all the way back.

So i will figure out this site soon enough and be patient as im new to the forum thing.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 11-01-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
welcome nick! no shortage of great info here. prepare for the cummins addiction to set in.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:23 AM

Yeah I've looked around briefly (few hours) and have learned a whole lot. Just need to find what I'm looking for now. But I'm just trying to get the truck through Delaware inspection Wednesday and see how it handles on the highway. Oh and fix that leaky trans cooler. Just waiting for the rain to stop.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Nick!!! glad you see you joined up, i knew you would . how you likin' the truck so far?

With the extremely strong pump that truck has on it, and the big factory injectors i'd upgrade the compressor side of the turbo for some more air..

What size exhaust housing do you have access to? It has an 18cm on it now and IMO i think it spools up pretty good

take a look through the 1st gen sticky - it covers EVERYTHING. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t102027.html
Old 11-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Gee, I thought that truck looked familiar...

You heard wrong on the synthetic, at least at reasonable percentages. Spray anything oily and flammable into a diesel and it WILL burn. I have run it successfully in the past. Try to keep your percentage of any waste oil as low as you can afford, at 10% you can't even tell it's in there but once you get up over 50% the trouble really starts.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Hey Nick!!! glad you see you joined up, i knew you would . how you likin' the truck so far?

With the extremely strong pump that truck has on it, and the big factory injectors i'd upgrade the compressor side of the turbo for some more air..

What size exhaust housing do you have access to? It has an 18cm on it now and IMO i think it spools up pretty good
im pretty sure thats a 91.5 so its got the small injectors????
Old 11-01-2009, 11:10 AM

No its a 91 Non intercooled. It used to be mine so i'd know
Old 11-01-2009, 11:21 AM

I like the truck so far. Haven't had it out until it gets inspected its gonna sit.

The Housing is a 16cm housing, guy showed up yesterday with it said it was for my truck and its mine for 150. Its never been used and doesn't have a brand name on it.

the compressor i found is a High Tech Turbo's Stave IV upgrade. Its a 60MM Wheel and its $325... but rated for 400hp I'll need an adapter to mate the output to the intake tube. A rubber step-down hose will work. I think its a 3"-2" i don't remember exactly, but will be sure before i spend any money.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Gee, I thought that truck looked familiar...

You heard wrong on the synthetic, at least at reasonable percentages. Spray anything oily and flammable into a diesel and it WILL burn. I have run it successfully in the past. Try to keep your percentage of any waste oil as low as you can afford, at 10% you can't even tell it's in there but once you get up over 50% the trouble really starts.
I was thinking about running 30-40% final mixture to make it worth the effort. But will start small at around 5%, after i pass inspection and get some of it filtered. Looks like gravity fed is the cheapest but i have an oil pump and hose and a lot of filters, just need to decide of which type adapter i would buy.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Adminstrator-ess

The Stage III is almost as good and is a better value. The IV might be good for 400 HP on a high revving P-pump or VP44 truck, but on a VE pumped engine it is hard pressed to keep EGT down over 325 HP.

I would caution you against the 16 cm housing if you plan to really turn the truck up. It is easy to wind up with way too much boost with that housing. A wastegated 12 is a better choice because you can control the boost without turning the pump down.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 AM

Yea the 60mm wheel is a good upgrade on a Non i/c truck, Hooking it up to the crossover is no big deal, You could actually make a custom better flowing crossover out of exhaust pipe or just use a reducer boot and use the stock crossover.

HTT doesn't make the stage 3 anymore...and they want $425 for the Stage 4 so i'd say $300 isn't a bad deal.

Dave incase this changes your opinion towards him getting a 12cm housing...the truck is an automatic.

I think an EGT pyrometer and a fuel pressure gauge should be at the top of the list...its already got that banks boost guage in it so you're good there.

If/when you get an EGT gauge you can turn the pump up some more
Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 AM

They still offer it... http://frontpro.com/cu.htm for $225... But it sounds better to be closer to what the truck is now than what it might never see.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Adminstrator-ess

I still wouldn't change the 18.5 for the 16.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:52 AM

my question is now would the stage 2 be better than the stage 3? Considering the truck is more like 200Hp than 370HP
Old 11-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Name:  HPIM1059.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  196.3 KB

truck its replacing

Quick Reply: Just Bought my first 6BT Cummins. New to the Forum TOO!