1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I've had enough! now its missing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had enough! Updated

I'm disgusted. After working 2 days in a the rain in a gutter trying to get this thing together, I finished today at 3:30. I drove about 15 miles to a baby shower, get done and load up. I pull onto the road and there is no power. It takes 1/2 throttle to get it to shift out of first. It won't rev past 15-1700rpm, Max EGT is 600. It breaks up and misses beyond that. So I limp home, took nearly an hour!

I figured it to be fuel pump or filter, It didn't seem to be getting enough fuel so I opened the bleeder and pumped, it seemed very week ,so I installed another parts house pump. No change, so I installed a fresh filter. No change. Well thats the extent of my knowledge. I just spent $500 on a $2000 truck and now it can't get out of its own way.

Anybody got any ideas besides the IP.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:40 PM

Do you have a TIGHT connection with the power supply wire to the shutdown/run solenoid? Sounds like that a little bit.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:18 AM

sounds like a lift pump to me. It kicked the bucket making the IP do all the pulling.

COop
Old 04-30-2006, 08:49 AM

Well I've been using the pull cable to shut down. I started the truck with bleeder open and fuel went everywhere. I guess I need to put a FPR gauge on it. This is really depressing.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:55 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
On my truck, at idle, I opened the bleed valve to see how much fuel would come out. It sucked air and the engine died. Maybe by doing this on yours you got air in your lines. Have you tried bleeding your injector lines?

If you get a big enough air pocket in an injector line the air will cushion the piston stroke in your VE pump and the pressure pulse won't be high enough to pop the injector. Then the air just stays there until you bleed it.

Edwin
Old 04-30-2006, 01:49 PM

It idles normally. Nice and loud. When you raise the revs you can here it slowly lean out and then it starts breaking up. I can try bleeding the injector lines but I don't think its the problem. I had a problem with a holely fuel filter on a 4bt skid steer loader and it acted completely different. Hard start, missing at idle, took several minutes to clear out. It just sounds fuel starved.

If you hold the peddle to the floor it smokes blueish white smoke.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:09 PM

This thing starts and idles normal. It could fool anyone. But when you rev its obvious something is very wrong. It takes 1/2 throttle stab to free rev over 1000 rpms.

Today I didn't have much time so heres what I did. I installed a boat squeeze pump in between the hard tank line and the fuel pump. It pumped of fine, no restriction, I ran the truck no change, I could squeeze the pump and feel the diaphram taking fuel through each tick( so I'm pretty sure the LP is functioning good enough. I then bled each injector. I cracked each one and waited for a few good squirts and retightened. It missed each time and the cleaned right back up at idle. No change in the power loss.

The only thing left to try is check the lines from the fuel pump to filter, the filter and base, and the filter to the IP.

At this point I thinks its a mechanical problem in the Ipump.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Put a section of clear line in where you had the boat pump. Doesn't have to be anything special, it'll last long enough to test. Watch for bubbles, if you see bubbles you are sucking air somewhere. If you don't see bubbles, put a pressure gauge on and make sure there is actually pressure to the IP when it starts to run bad. You could have a gunked up filter "sock" in the tank, or a hose has gone soft and is getting sucked shut. Try to eliminate all other possibilites before condemning the IP.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:22 PM

Would this thing run if the Governer spring came off?
Old 04-30-2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Put a section of clear line in where you had the boat pump. Doesn't have to be anything special, it'll last long enough to test. Watch for bubbles, if you see bubbles you are sucking air somewhere. If you don't see bubbles, put a pressure gauge on and make sure there is actually pressure to the IP when it starts to run bad. You could have a gunked up filter "sock" in the tank, or a hose has gone soft and is getting sucked shut. Try to eliminate all other possibilites before condemning the IP.

I can do that. But where would I connect A fuel pressure gauge after the filter.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You could get a tapped banjo bolt from Geno's. Put a pipe plug in the hole when you are done testing. Check for air first. If you have a vaccum gauge, tee it in where the boat pump is now and check the restriction. It should be no more than 3.5 in. Hg.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
You could get a tapped banjo bolt from Geno's. Put a pipe plug in the hole when you are done testing. Check for air first. If you have a vaccum gauge, tee it in where the boat pump is now and check the restriction. It should be no more than 3.5 in. Hg.
Using the boat pump, I applied positive pressure while revving the engine and got no postive results.

Does anyone no what size and thread the fitting coming out of the fuel pump is. Also the same for the tube feeding the IP with fuel. I'm going to make a test rig to eliminate the fuel filter, lines, and setup.

Would it be okay to run common household copper lines for a few minutes
Old 04-30-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by lovemysan
Using the boat pump, I applied positive pressure while revving the engine and got no postive results.

Does anyone no what size and thread the fitting coming out of the fuel pump is. Also the same for the tube feeding the IP with fuel. I'm going to make a test rig to eliminate the fuel filter, lines, and setup.

Would it be okay to run common household copper lines for a few minutes
Yes but regular old vinyl(clear plastic hose)will alow you to see the air and bypass the filter at the same time!!!!
easier to tee into for a vac, guage allso!
Have used it for many days trying to fined air leaks, It works grate. Had the same test hose for 3 years now and still in grate shape!!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:32 AM

Okay I put the clear tube and a pressure gauge between the injector pump and the fuel pump direct. Installed a pressure gauge. The gauge was pretty crummy it read 5 psi all the time. It read 14 psi at idle and I could get it to to less than 10 psi. So I'm good on fuel supply. I'm betting IP for sure now. I wonder if it was the gas the preacher ran through it 2 months ago that killed it. Its either that or something mechanical in the engine. I've run it about an 1:15 min since it started I think if it was a head gasket I would have found coolant or oil mixed somewhere.

At this point I'm without transportation and my wife is due in 2 weeks. I spent half my car fund working on this thing. I'm going to call a IP shop to see what they say.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by lovemysan
Okay I put the clear tube and a pressure gauge between the injector pump and the fuel pump direct. Installed a pressure gauge. The gauge was pretty crummy it read 5 psi all the time. It read 14 psi at idle and I could get it to to less than 10 psi. So I'm good on fuel supply. I'm betting IP for sure now. I wonder if it was the gas the preacher ran through it 2 months ago that killed it. Its either that or something mechanical in the engine. I've run it about an 1:15 min since it started I think if it was a head gasket I would have found coolant or oil mixed somewhere.

At this point I'm without transportation and my wife is due in 2 weeks. I spent half my car fund working on this thing. I'm going to call a IP shop to see what they say.
You didn't mention wether you seen any air with the clear hose hooked up?

Quick Reply: I've had enough! now its missing