1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Introduction and a few questions: 92 250 clubcab 5 spd

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction and a few questions: 92 250 clubcab 5 spd

Hey all,

I've been lurking a number of cummins forums for a little while, just trying to upgrade my knowledge, and this forum seems to host some very tech-savvy and not so "black smoke" focused members. So here I am!

The story:
I'm buying a 92 W250 with a 5 speed today for $3700. It's been tweaked a little, but not a lot (to my knowledge)

It's got a straight pipe on it - which I need to fix: Any recommendations for a good QUIET muffler for this truck? Looks like a 4" exhaust.

The PCM has been bypassed with an aftermarket regulator/rectifier - the fellow had trouble getting it to charge, evidently. now, as you all know, the speedometer, cruise and I assume AC no longer work. Is there a good way to get all those services working again reliably? I could get a new pcm, but I'm finding it for $400, and who knows what wires the PO cut to get his system working..

Those are my big questions for the gurus here, at least for now.

I'm glad to finally be joining the ranks of cummins owners. I worked on a pair of automatic 24v trucks and a first-gen d350 in one of my previous jobs, and the 12v was by far the most reliable from a drivetrain perspective.

So now I'm looking forward to "civilizing" the beast I'm picking up today. Any support you all can provide will be much appreciated!

Pleasure to make y'all's acquaintance!
Charlie
Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome Charlie PM me if you want to get a PCM for your truck and I promise it won't cost 400 what he cut was the charging wire should be simple to hook back up

Val
Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM

you got thte foundation for a great truck.good luck
Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
The first thing I would verify is that the Engine Speed Sensor is working. Since the first gens did not have a factory tach, it could quit and you would never know it. I "think" you can get readings from a scanner, but for my money, I would just install an aftermarket tach. There are already provisions on your 93 for a dealer installed tach ( horribly expensive ) but if you search here, there are threads showing how to use that wiring with an aftermarket tach.

That ESS also tells the rest of your stuff that is not working that the engine is running.

It is probably a good bet that your PCM is still fine.......
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Welcome to the Cummins Crowd!! I have only had mine for about 3 years now...and I would never go back to a gasser.

First thing is you Getrag overfill...then for a muffler...I got a stock 03 Cummins Ram muffler given to me by someone in my neighborhood. He upgraded to an aftermarket system and asked if I wanted it. I had straight pipe and was getting tired of the drone. I really like it. It a 4" in and out, straight through muffler, with just some baffles and such to help cut the resonance. Still has a bit of a throaty sound to it.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 PM

Thanks so much for the responses! I LOVE busy forums. What a wealth of knowledge.

Is there a way to test the PCM and see if it's still otherwise functional?

I talked to the PO today and he says all he disconnected from the computer was the alternator wiring -the initial problem was that the truck wouldn't charge.

Charlie
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is likely that the CPS went south and the ECM didn't "see" crank motion and wouldn't initiate the charge circuit.

Also, the 1stgen trucks DID have factory tach provisions, the tachs themselves just weren't factory installed.

Mark.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 AM

So I suppose the first step would be to locate a factory service manual. Any good places? Alternately, how's the Haynes manual? I picked one of those up for my 2000 subaru and it's actually pretty thorough as far as electronics and sensor diagnosis.

thanks all,
C

-picking up the Beast tonight with a buddy. I'm sure I'll be waking the neighbors.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to 1stgen.org, there's sticky in the "Electrical" section with the 1993 Dodge Diesel wiring diagrams, which is the same as 1992.

Mark.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by cupressus
So I suppose the first step would be to locate a factory service manual. Any good places? Alternately, how's the Haynes manual? I picked one of those up for my 2000 subaru and it's actually pretty thorough as far as electronics and sensor diagnosis.
Never been a fan of Haynes, way too general.

I like the FSM on CD, because I look it up and print the relevant pages, then can work on it without hauling the big book out or getting it filthy ( I have both ). I also copied the file to a thumb drive kept in the truck, and also on my cell phone, that way all I need is a computer if I am broke down in BFE.

http://www.genosgarage.com/1992-DODG...nfo/DFSM92_CD/
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome Cupresses and 'grats on the new truck!

As was mentioned, one of the first things you'll wanna do is drain and refill the 'rag, over-filling it by a quart..
My 93 was straight-piped when I bought it, installed a Diamond Stainless system with muffler, think the whole system with muffler set me back about $300,
here's where I got mine:
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/c...l-cummins.aspx
You can search on here, there have been a few threads about replacement systems, everyone has their favorite depending on what they want from their truck..
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 PM

While I was cogitating, another truck came up into my sights: an 01 xtended cab 6 speed heavy 2500. I bought it. 6500 bones, but it's much much closer to what i want to end up with than the w250 was. The more i thought about that pcm bypass, the exhaust and the necessary bed work, the more the truck seemed like a big project i didn't have time for. i would've spent a ton of time and money getting it close, when this 2001 is basically the truck i want, it just needs some basic repairs.

thanks all! I'll be heading over to the 24v section now...