1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

intermitent power

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 07:42 PM
win

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intermitent power

hello I have 93 ctd and thinking about sending it over the cliff. I have read hear, before, about the loss of power some days and truck having power other days. It can not be the allignment of the planets there has to be a reason because I am not the only one experiencing this problem. I spent a lot of time searching for the post of intermitent power on tdr. Has any one figured out why? what I have done so far is everything except rebuild engine. Been through pump and injectors and the obviouse stuff. today noticed somthing different when i was puting the pedal through the floor to get it to move in 4th gear rpm got to around 1500 and boost around 12psi (boost started fluctuating from11 to 13 back and forth) and stayed for a couple of seconds before rpm started to biuld than I looked in my mirror and could not see the guy behind me becuse of all the black smoke. When truck runs good there is no smoke.
the peddle is very hard to push down
it drives better going up hill than down I have to put pedal to floor to get it to move down hill. it is almost like the engine is tight?
rpm 's fall out off the sky they drop so fast
I t does not make sense why the pedal is hard to push according to bosch dealer because pedal controls a spring.
i think I might have to get a new dodge
If you need more information ask because i will get it
also did anyone have problem with fuel pickup leaking back to tank?
Old 07-13-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The transmission cable that connects to injector pump might be rusted. Unhook it and mash the pedal to see if it is easier.

That really seems odd how your truck is performing. This might be a long shot, I think there is a fuel screen in the fuel heater above the filter. Maybe it is clogged, if its not getting fuel it won't build boost.

Hopefully the more experienced guys could step in and tell you more about the fuel screen.

I wish you a lot of luck