1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Intercooled or Non-Intercooled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooled or Non-Intercooled?

Whats the differences besides the obvious? i have heard our intercooled engines can handle more than the non. I have heard that non's are bad to crack heads and of course have higher egts. and have different size injectors. so give me the scoop on this issue please. looking to buy one or the other
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 AM

for swaps i like non i/c. better cam, injectors. piston bowl. different d.v,s. add a good intercooler and better turbo and you got a powerful set-up,cheap. for a stock 1st gen truck the 91 1/2 to 93 offer better trans if auto and intercooled,upgraded features -etc.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:24 PM

non ic for sure, you will understand when you get one.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:42 PM

Don't just consider one or the other. There are not enough differences in them to say one is better than the other. You'd be better off getting a truck in good shape in your price range, whether it is a Non I/C truck, or I/C truck doesn't matter.

There have been two trucks in the 600+rwhp range. One was an I/C truck, the other was Non I/C.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Non i/c trucks have simpler electrical systems, And are very snappy responding to ANY tweaks. add an intercooler and bigger turbo and you got a truck that runs awesome with some pump tweaks. They get hot real quick when you touch the power screw and fuel pin and stuff like that. but the injectors in a non i/c truck are good to 350HP+ .. I/c trucks the injectors are good to MAYBE 300hp. then you gotta cough up the cash for injectors

My ultimate truck would be a 91 NON I/C 4x4 ... You get the newer front end (big grille), few interior differences (nicer seats, nicer LE options), and newer body trim on the outside and they unleashed a few new 2-tone paint jobs in 91.

Find a truck with a good body though. don't worry about gearing.. what trans etc... if its cheap enough and the body is ok get it. BODY WORK IS HARDER THEN MECHANICAL stuff! IMO anyways...

Non i/c trucks are factory hotrods my dad always says !!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Non i/c trucks have simpler electrical systems, And are very snappy responding to ANY tweaks. add an intercooler and bigger turbo and you got a truck that runs awesome with some pump tweaks. They get hot real quick when you touch the power screw and fuel pin and stuff like that. but the injectors in a non i/c truck are good to 350HP+ .. I/c trucks the injectors are good to MAYBE 300hp. then you gotta cough up the cash for injectors

My ultimate truck would be a 91 NON I/C 4x4 ... You get the newer front end (big grille), few interior differences (nicer seats, nicer LE options), and newer body trim on the outside and they unleashed a few new 2-tone paint jobs in 91.

Find a truck with a good body though. don't worry about gearing.. what trans etc... if its cheap enough and the body is ok get it. BODY WORK IS HARDER THEN MECHANICAL stuff! IMO anyways...

Non i/c trucks are factory hotrods my dad always says !!

your dad is my hero, "factory hotrods", its the last of the muscle truck age, and perfectly stated except that mechanical things can be quite a bit more costly than body work, and being that my truck gets rubbed on by cows daily, the outside isnt as important to me as the inside, the women dont much see the outside much from the middle seat either. i dont know why nor do i care but non ic trucks seem to respond alot easier to upgrades, compared to money spent on ic trucks. im sure this might stir a few things up.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 PM

I dunno the difference, But I've herd a lot of people say that the non-intercooled trucks had a lil extra somethin to them and are more fun than the intercooled ones..
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 PM

Aren't they lighter cause they it on different frames too? (The N/IC trucks)
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by The_Head
Aren't they lighter cause they it on different frames too? (The N/IC trucks)
From what I understand the 93's frame was the heavy one of the first GENS.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Riflemanusmc
From what I understand the 93's frame was the heavy one of the first GENS.
i believe the frames changed in 91.5 like the intercooler! i think
Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 AM

I thought none ic 's wer something like 19 to 1 comp where as the ic ones were 18.5 to 1 comp ?? just thinking out loud here
Old 10-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Yea,

Non I/C had:

-higher compression
-heavier block
-larger injectors/lines
-more advanced timing (stock)
Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had no idea about the injection lines!! I know they have all metal line from the fuel tank to the lift pump...(non i/c)
Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 PM

so what kind of heat issues when i start turning the fuel screw am i gonna have when towing?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my experience playing with the 93's there fun and IMO easy to swap I am on my second crewcab swap project once I get the frame work done it will be up and running within a week everything bolt's back in I have never played with the non i/c truck's nor do I plan on my first swap I used a 85 crewcab frame due to frame thickness on the 85 {tihcker then 93}and on this swap I will be useing the same yr frame just converting it over to 4x4 very simple process on the last truck I had fuel screw truned in 1-1 1/2 turn's and along with smoke screw never had a issue with getting hot when towing plus I also run 410's with 37's

Quick Reply: Intercooled or Non-Intercooled?