1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Installing a lift pump, got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing a lift pump, got a few questions

Before I install my new lift pump I want to ask a few questions.

1) Is there any special way I should put in the pump in? I mean, the "tongue" on the LP, do I need to put on top or below the camshaft?

2) When I take the fuel lines off, how much fuel is going to leak out? Can I expect a constant flow or just a few drops out and thats it?

3) When I get the new pump on, how should I bleed the system of air? I remember reading about a bleeding screw somewhere around the fuel filter? Do I just crack it open until all the air is out, or do I get someone in the cab to crank it over?

I plan on putting a new fuel filter on AFTER I get the LP working and the truck runs without any garbling noises from trapped air. Also I guess now would be a good time to replace the gasket that goes between the LP and the block. I'm not sure if the new LP comes with one (still at the post office). If not I'll just run down the the cummins dealer and pick one up.

Thanks
Lucas
Old 02-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
1. You can't do it wrong. It only lines up the right way, you won't get the bolts in if it's in there wrong. No worries there.

2. Not much, a little gusher when you loosen the outlet line and then a few drips after that.

3. On filter outlet (front banjo bolt) there's a 10 mm? (I think) bolt (the bleed screw). Loosen that, and pump the primer lever until you get fuel out of the bleed screw. Close the bleed screw and fold up the priming lever. Start and enjoy.

A small block Chevy fuel pump gasket is the same (the 2 bolt hole gasket, not the one that goes under the cover plate on a Chevy).
Old 02-03-2006, 08:29 PM

Thanks a ton Dave. Do you have a picture of exactly where abouts the bleeder screw is?

Thanks
Lucas
Old 02-04-2006, 04:21 AM

If you need to change your lift pump, this would be a great time to install the piston pump. you can get all the part numbers in the tech section. Its a little more money but worth it.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
Thanks a ton Dave. Do you have a picture of exactly where abouts the bleeder screw is?

Thanks
Lucas
I don't have a pic, but it's not hard to find. Look at the fuel filter, then look up above the filter. You will see 2 banjo bolts, one with another bolt in the middle of it - that's the bleed screw. It's directly above the filter.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:10 PM

Talking

Well, its in, my dad gave me a hand installing it and it went in without a hitch. I also put on a new fuel filter (it was due anyways) and I don't know how to describe it but it seems to drive smoother, and pull a little harder. The only trouble I had was restarting it since I put the new filter on, eventually after about 5-10 seconds of cranking it over it fired. I took it out for about a 10 minute spin, let it warm up fully (according to the gauge) and put my foot into it as much as I could . I came back to my house and shut it off, waited 10 seconds or so and fired it up, it hiccuped for half a second or so but fired like normal. I have a bit of a concern though, with the motor warm, my grid heater was cycling . I don't think it should be cycling when the motor is warm, and the only electronic stuff I played with was the fuel filter wires.

Also the little plastic connector that goes on to the inlet line, that makes it for quick disconnect, it broke leaving me with 2/3s of it left. It still clicked and held on the one side but I plan on replacing it soon.

Anyways out of this I got 2 things:
1) The satisfaction of not having a broken LP
2) A big blotch of diesel on my driveway (forgot to tighten the bleed screw above the filter )
Old 02-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I've found that in the coldest weather we get here my KSB never shuts down if I am not stuck in traffic. I'd imagine AB is a wee bit cooler than PA this time of year, it's entirely possible that your intake air was below 50 degrees since you shut the truck off then immediately refired it. If you'd waited 5 minutes (like going into Quickie Mart for a Slushy) the manifold would have heat soaked and the grids wouldn't have kicked on.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:19 PM

Thanks Dave,
I've got a new problem now, its a PITA to start now when its left sitting for a while. I have to crank it over for about 10 seconds and it finally sputters to life, once its running it runs awesome but to start it back up is a problem. I didn't fill the filter up with diesel when I put it on since I had no diesel in a jerry can. But I imagine now its full? Would just running the truck for a long time, say an hour of highway driving push the air out?

Also, the weather here is being extremely weird, normally its -10 to -15C out and right now its hovering around the freezing mark and even warmer. Its been like this the whole winter so far and its driving me nuts with no snow (I'm an avid snowmobiler you see ).
Old 02-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

The inlet fitting probably isn't sealed, you're sucking air.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:28 PM

You have air in the system. One from the dry fuel filter install, and two possibly from the broken quick connect fuel line at the lift pump. Try bleeding at each injector and then fix the fuel line.