1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Installing Headlamp Relays

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by bannerd
would a bad resistor cause a headlight outage. The odd thing is if I ground the wires to a bolt by tapping on it my head lights would flicker then go out.
I think I do not understand what you are doing, it worked for several months so Ill assume it is wired correctly but where is there a resistor in the circuit?

Which wire are you tapping or taping to ground?
Is it a trigger lead from the headlamp socket, or ground lead?

The relay is divided into 2 circuits,

The control circuit, (coil)
Term. #85 (-)
Term. #86 (+)
And the load circuit,
Term. #30 = Common to Battery (+ 12 volts)
Term. #87 = Normally Open Contact (switches on power when Term, #86 energizes)

With the harness reconnected to the truck,
Lights on, the relay coil clicks? be sure ground Term, 85 is connected.
Still no lights?

With grounded test light, is there power at Term. #86 only when the lights are on and Term. #30?
should be all of the time,

Check your added fuse or breaker.

Term. #30 has power? ok
Jumper terminals #30 & #87 together lights should turn on.

Your truck IS a Federal and not Canadian isn't it?

Let me know.

Jim
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I think I do not understand what you are doing, it worked for several months so Ill assume it is wired correctly but where is there a resistor in the circuit?

Which wire are you tapping or taping to ground?
Is it a trigger lead from the headlamp socket, or ground lead?

The relay is divided into 2 circuits,

The control circuit, (coil)
Term. #85 (-)
Term. #86 (+)
And the load circuit,
Term. #30 = Common to Battery (+ 12 volts)
Term. #87 = Normally Open Contact (switches on power when Term, #86 energizes)

With the harness reconnected to the truck,
Lights on, the relay coil clicks? be sure ground Term, 85 is connected.
Still no lights?

With grounded test light, is there power at Term. #86 only when the lights are on and Term. #30?
should be all of the time,

Check your added fuse or breaker.

Term. #30 has power? ok
Jumper terminals #30 & #87 together lights should turn on.

Your truck IS a Federal and not Canadian isn't it?

Let me know.

Jim
Truck is Canadian, I think I found the issue.. I think. I have the harness all apart and looking at it I did the following;

85 to 85 to splices into the ground off the headlights, from there that goes to the battery. I think it needs to go, 85, to 85 to ground. Then ground from the headlights to it's own ground.

The one I'm tapping to the ground is the ground from the headlight plugs. It sparks like crazy for some reason. You have hi, lo, G.. the g is what I grounded. On the circut breaker that is alone, if I touch the ground with that it buzzes relay. I think what I said above I might have been grounding to much and I grounded it out?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Truck is Canadian, I think I found the issue.. I think. I have the harness all apart and looking at it I did the following;

85 to 85 to splices into the ground off the headlights, from there that goes to the battery. I think it needs to go, 85, to 85 to ground. Then ground from the headlights to it's own ground.

The one I'm tapping to the ground is the ground from the headlight plugs. It sparks like crazy for some reason. You have hi, lo, G.. the g is what I grounded. On the circut breaker that is alone, if I touch the ground with that it buzzes relay. I think what I said above I might have been grounding to much and I grounded it out?
If your truck is Canadian your problem is you have DRL's and you cannot use a conventional relay setup.

The DRL control module output is corrupting the DC signal with a PWM pulsed signal causing it to chatter.

The relays need to be connected differently to isolate the DRL output from the full power of the battery.

Did you read this possible fix?

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t310460.html

Jim
Old 03-08-2013, 06:05 AM

If your truck is Canadian your problem is you have DRL's and you cannot use a conventional relay setup.

The DRL control module output is corrupting the DC signal with a PWM pulsed signal causing it to chatter.

The relays need to be connected differently to isolate the DRL output from the full power of the battery.

Did you read this possible fix?

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t310460.html

Jim
I don't think I have DRL, when my truck is running the lights are off. I have to manually turn them on with the pull ****. How would one check if I have the DRL module? I traced the wires last night and they go into the big plug on the firewall.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Administrator

I don't think I have DRL, when my truck is running the lights are off. I have to manually turn them on with the pull ****. How would one check if I have the DRL module? I traced the wires last night and they go into the big plug on the firewall.
If it is registered in Canada you are supposed to have DRL's, I believe the module is mounted somewhere behind the battery and it connects at the passenger headlamp.

Do you have to have an annual safety inspection in Canada?

BTW I think the sparking issue with the headlamp socket might be the way you are looking at them, the headlamp sockets are viewed from one side while the connection for the relay coils are viewed from the opposite side, this could short the high beam (+) to ground.

Jim
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 AM

If it is registered in Canada you are supposed to have DRL's, I believe the module is mounted somewhere behind the battery and it connects at the passenger headlamp.

Do you have to have an annual safety inspection in Canada?

BTW I think the sparking issue with the headlamp socket might be the way you are looking at them, the headlamp sockets are viewed from one side while the connection for the relay coils are viewed from the opposite side, this could short the high beam (+) to ground.

Jim
I don't live in Canada, the truck has maple leafs stamped on it inside the cab. Says made in Canada.. maybe sold in the USA?

Yeah, I think I found the issue, hopefully.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have DRL's the module is on the pass side on the inner wheelwell . about 3x4 x1 in size with too many wires going to it. IF you unplug it all you lose is your high beam indicator and of course your DRL's. no safety inspection unless you po a cop or dot guy then they can send you for inspection
Old 03-10-2013, 04:50 PM

Nothing on the passenger side at all. This is very frustrating.. after spending five hours trying to install this simple thing I came to an end. I have the two relays zip tied together. If I connect all the #85 together and don't ground them, I get high beams but I don't get low beams. If I ground everything, lights go out. Oddly enough I'm not getting low beams just high beams. I'm going to go back through this and hopefully I can figure this out. I really don't understand what is going on or why this worked for several months. I have new relays and a new 30amp resistor but I'm getting the same thing. Unless these are blowing up on me that easy.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:04 PM

So I checked my resistor with my electrical tester for ohms on both prongs.. getting nothing for contiguity or pass through. Looks like it might be bad?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Administrator

Sorry I just assumed you were working on a Canadian truck.

Can you show me exactly which schematic or diagram you are building your circuit from?

Without DRL's it is real simple.

I still do not see where you need a resistor for or where it is in the circuit,

Quote:
So I checked my resistor with my electrical tester for ohms on both prongs

I have new relays and a new 30amp resistor but I'm getting the same thing. Unless these are blowing up on me that easy.

Could you maybe thinking about the relay or maybe the circuit breaker?

Show me a drawing how it is built and I should be able to figure it out.

Jim
Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Sorry I just assumed you were working on a Canadian truck.

Can you show me exactly which schematic or diagram you are building your circuit from?

Without DRL's it is real simple.

I still do not see where you need a resistor for or where it is in the circuit,

Quote:
So I checked my resistor with my electrical tester for ohms on both prongs

I have new relays and a new 30amp resistor but I'm getting the same thing. Unless these are blowing up on me that easy.

Could you maybe thinking about the relay or maybe the circuit breaker?

Show me a drawing how it is built and I should be able to figure it out.

Jim
Yep, the circuit breaker(thought it was a resistor ) is what I think is messed up. The drawing I used was this one;

Name:  HeadlampRelaysFullPower11-04-2007.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  63.6 KB

I took my electrical tester and tested everything for continuity and with everything plug into the right relays. I'm not sure how you would test the circuit breaker, in theory I thought it was always on until there was a power surge?

Ordered a few of these, http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-CB...=pd_sbs_auto_1

Maybe I had mine backwards. The copper went to the relays and the silver went to the 12V. It was labeled that way.. unless someone messed the print up.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Yep, the circuit breaker(thought it was a resistor ) is what I think is messed up. The drawing I used was this one;

I took my electrical tester and tested everything for continuity and with everything plug into the right relays. I'm not sure how you would test the circuit breaker, in theory I thought it was always on until there was a power surge?

Ordered a few of these, http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-CB...=pd_sbs_auto_1

Maybe I had mine backwards. The copper went to the relays and the silver went to the 12V. It was labeled that way.. unless someone messed the print up.
A circuit breaker is a switch. It only opens up if excess current flows through it. Then, depending on the breaker it auto resets when it cools down, or has to be manually reset.

Unless there's some electronics involved, (doubtful) polarity makes no difference. Normally the load stud is the longer one in practice.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
A circuit breaker is a switch. It only opens up if excess current flows through it. Then, depending on the breaker it auto resets when it cools down, or has to be manually reset.

Unless there's some electronics involved, (doubtful) polarity makes no difference. Normally the load stud is the longer one in practice.
Makes sense, I'll run to napa afer work and grab some more relays and a circuit breaker. It has to be one of those.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 PM

double post
Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM

Makes sense, I'll run to napa afer work and grab some more relays and a circuit breaker. It has to be one of those.
Double check your wiring. Something wore out the circuit breaker. They normally live approximately forever, or until a few hundred trips under load.

The "high and low" relay is redundant. All you need to do is tap the headlamp power to the dimmer switch and power the low beam relay with that. Low beam is always on anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't run both filaments together. The excess heat would have to shorten bulb life considerably.

Quick Reply: Installing Headlamp Relays