1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Installing Headlamp Relays

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Double check your wiring. Something wore out the circuit breaker. They normally live approximately forever, or until a few hundred trips under load.

The "high and low" relay is redundant. All you need to do is tap the headlamp power to the dimmer switch and power the low beam relay with that. Low beam is always on anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't run both filaments together. The excess heat would have to shorten bulb life considerably.
That works, I put a new circuit breaker in and the lights fired right up. Not sure what happen, all is working now. Maybe I had a bad ground somewhere?

Thanks again all, odd stuff.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by bannerd
Yep, the circuit breaker(thought it was a resistor ) is what I think is messed up. The drawing I used was this one;

I took my electrical tester and tested everything for continuity and with everything plug into the right relays. I'm not sure how you would test the circuit breaker, in theory I thought it was always on until there was a power surge?

Ordered a few of these, http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-CB...=pd_sbs_auto_1

Maybe I had mine backwards. The copper went to the relays and the silver went to the 12V. It was labeled that way.. unless someone messed the print up.
These thermal circuit breakers will take a lot of abuse before they give out, I use a low amp breaker as an interrupter.

Here is what I would do.:

First,
Omit the circuit in YELLOW, all of this can be replaced using a single 4-amp diode.

Next,
Look at the side of the relay for the pin-out and look at the coil, should be Term. #85 and Term. #86, does the diagram show anything else between the 2 connections?

Some Bosch Relays have an internal diode across the coil and if connected backwards would be a dead short.

BTW this one shows a Resistor across the coil, the DIODE will have a solid line drawn through the rectangle box at one end.

I do not want to confuse you.

You can test the relay circuit with a headlamp connected to the new harness (+) to the battery and a ground.

Temporally apply (+) 12-volts from the battery to the Term. #86 of each relay in succession and the headlamp should come on first Low beam, then High Beam

You don't want one that looks like this, it makes it a bit more complicated but it will work.

Let us know what you have, it should not be this complicated to do.

Jim
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
These thermal circuit breakers will take a lot of abuse before they give out, I use a low amp breaker as an interrupter.

Here is what I would do.:

First,
Omit the circuit in YELLOW, all of this can be replaced using a single 4-amp diode.

Next,
Look at the side of the relay for the pin-out and look at the coil, should be Term. #85 and Term. #86, does the diagram show anything else between the 2 connections?

Some Bosch Relays have an internal diode across the coil and if connected backwards would be a dead short.

BTW this one shows a Resistor across the coil, the DIODE will have a solid line drawn through the rectangle box at one end.

I do not want to confuse you.

You can test the relay circuit with a headlamp connected to the new harness (+) to the battery and a ground.

Temporally apply (+) 12-volts from the battery to the Term. #86 of each relay in succession and the headlamp should come on first Low beam, then High Beam

You don't want one that looks like this, it makes it a bit more complicated but it will work.

Let us know what you have, it should not be this complicated to do.

Jim
Thanks Jim, headlights are working. Raining like crazy today and nothing went out. I took my circuit breaker off last night and I notice that there was a white powder in the middle of it. I'm guessing it had a flaw and was really hot at one point in time. When I replaced it last night and left the lights on, it was very cold to the touch with the brights (hi and low) on at the same time. I'm thinking the circuit was a chinese knock off. The bossman circuit is way better built and was the only one I could find made in the USA.

My relays are working good, I did the 12v test on them and used my electrical tester for continuity. They all checked out fine.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, as much as I hate to ask this question, I've had my harness sitting in my truck for over a week and I just do not understand lol.

Anyways, I chose to leave out the third relay/diode option. What really confused me is... I'm still going to run my High and Low Beam wires to the original two relays? Because in one part of the how-to it says if you're leaving out the third relay you don't make connections to the #87 or #85 terminals.

If did just throw connectors on them just because I had no idea what to do and was getting confused... then I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the circuit breaker? Not so much that I don't understand what to do with it, just the fact that when I hook the circuit breaker up to the battery then the lights are just going to be on 24/7... Sorry for taking up anyones time, I just have no idea where I'm going with this.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't help you 209trucker but I am glad I found this thread. I need to rewire the headlights on my sand rail and was wondering how to wire them correctly with relays. This is a huge help!!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 PM

Jim ...... excellent write-up!
I'm Canadian, and our trucks have to have 'Daytime Headlamps' .....
Is there a headlight cure for your northern neighbors?

Thanks
Greg
Old 12-13-2013, 03:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by peddlebike
Jim ...... excellent write-up!
I'm Canadian, and our trucks have to have 'Daytime Headlamps' .....
Is there a headlight cure for your northern neighbors?

Thanks
Greg
Greg,
Try this link, I worked out a circuit I think should work but without a Canadian truck to try it on, I'll need you to try it for me.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t310460.html

Jim
Old 12-13-2013, 06:21 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Jim,

I installed my headlamp relays back in december of 2011, and they've been flawless ever since. Truly appreciate you, and being able to pick your knowledge.

I appreciate feedback from those I help, and I hope you're feeling the same right now.....
Old 12-15-2013, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NJTman
Jim,

I installed my headlamp relays back in december of 2011, and they've been flawless ever since. Truly appreciate you, and being able to pick your knowledge.

I appreciate feedback from those I help, and I hope you're feeling the same right now.....
Tman,
It is so nice of you to say that, I appreciate it when someone tells me they have tried and found any of my ideas useful, almost as gratifying as knowing you saved a life by being at the right place at the right time and giving all you could.
My knowledge is yours for the picking, it is not going to help anybody if I keep it all to myself.

As a profession I have been a diesel mechanic working on Cummins, Detroit’s and MAN diesels installed in transit coaches and other county owned equipment but my specialty has always been truck & coach electrical, low voltage and high voltage systems and electronics starting with vacuum tubes through transistors up to the current SMD's.

In the 70's I have shown up Los Angeles County's best at least they thought they were coach electricians on a new 50' AM General coach with a electrical short in the wiring from the factory, everyone had tried for 6 months but nobody could find it, I said I would fix it, within 20 minuets I located the short and repaired it and I got an instant reputation.

I am an electrician present day but I also work on HVAC, Telco, Security Systems, CCTV, Gate Entry Systems,

I hate digging holes but my dog is very good at this, I have not burned any poles but I have been shot, the only bones I have broken were my wrist and my back.

Everything technical just seems to come easy for me, it always, has if I can imagine it in my mind I can usually make it work in reality.

My dad was an electrician and then an electrical engineer, we are also skilled in all of the construction trades, my dad built all of the houses on their property and several on the block.

With his help I also remolded our present house doing all of the work ourselves.

I remember seeing some pictures of your work, and you have a skill and I am really impressed, I really cannot say that about most of the people that I know.

Currently I have to remodel one of my bathroom and shower and I cannot convince myself that it really needs to be done, I would hire someone but I am a perfectionist and you know what thats like.

I appreciate feedback from those I help, and I hope you're feeling the same right now.

So do I, it is a good feeling to know that I have helped someone else by sharing my knowledge with them.

It is also nice to know (or scary) how well my name is known, I was on another diesel website the other day and I found my name and links back to DTR on many different subjects.

There are still some things that I have not yet accomplished:
Heliocopter Pilot (turbine)
Professional Nascar Driver
Lottery Jackpot Winner
International Playboy

I remember you were from New Jersey, the NJ but what was the Tman?

Jim
Old 12-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Tman,
It is so nice of you to say that, I appreciate it when someone tells me they have tried and found any of my ideas useful, ......

I remember seeing some pictures of your work, and you have a skill and I am really impressed, I really cannot say that about most of the people that I know.

Currently I have to remodel one of my bathroom and shower and I cannot convince myself that it really needs to be done, I would hire someone but I am a perfectionist and you know what thats like.
Your welcome, and THANK YOU ! for the kind words above.

Unfortunately, having qualities of being a perfectionist (whether full blown or high percentage of it) can have it's double edge sword effect. Yeah, things get to be done to the best of your ability at the time you're doing it, but you kick yourself around while doing so, and ultimately, are never really 100% satisfied with anything you do...

At least that's how it is for me...

I appreciate feedback from those I help, and I hope you're feeling the same right now. It is also nice to know (or scary) how well my name is known, I was on another diesel website the other day and I found my name and links back to DTR on many different subjects.

There are still some things that I have not yet accomplished:
Heliocopter Pilot (turbine)
Professional Nascar Driver
Lottery Jackpot Winner
International Playboy

I remember you were from New Jersey, the NJ but what was the Tman?

Jim
Again, I appreciate your candor with reference to my work in the trades. I just have always liked to do things the right way (or what my impressions of what the right was / is).

One of the reasons I use a made up name is because of what you're speaking of. Although I enjoy the comradery that we all enjoy here, I also like my privacy, as there are a few out there that can cross the line that exists between personal and public. Not saying I have anyone here who would be sitting in my backyard watching through the window as I showered, but at least my real name isn't out there catching google hits all over the place. I joined a website once and used my business name. When someone mentioned that my words could easily be found by my clients, and I confirmed this.... this was the end of me using my real name on any website. No need for it, for me, anyways.

I like your list, but I just want to be the international playboy. Unfortunately, my wife of the last 27 years won't let me

30 years ago my contracting mentor, whom was also my drafting and shop teacher in high school, gave me the nickname " T." . It was a time when Mr. T. and the "A-Team" were on T.V., and I was starting to work out in the high school gym. His first name and mine are the same, so when we would be repairing a house, remodeling a kitchen or bathroom, the owner would call out his name, and I would reply.

From that moment on, he said I'm going to call you Mr. T. He thought about it for a second or two, and said.... NO, you're still way to "Green", so I'm just going to call you "T."

Been that way ever since.

Feel free to PM me with any questions if you need help with a bathroom remodel, as after doing the first 100 of them or so, I kind of have an idea of how to walk about one....
Old 12-17-2013, 02:57 AM

Greg,
Try this link, I worked out a circuit I think should work but without a Canadian truck to try it on, I'll need you to try it for me.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t310460.html

Jim
Thank you for the link Jim .....
Will give it a try .....
Greg
Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Terminal Supply Co. in Troy MI sells Bosch style relay bases that interlock with each other and are wired with 12 gauge primary wires. They are about $10 each and are stamped "Made in USA". I searched the internet for quite awhile looking for these. I bought 2 when I did the headlight relay upgrade. They are P/N PT-BOS-12BK. I'm really happy with them and customer service was great. I am not associated with the company...just a satisfied customer.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
Terminal Supply Co. in Troy MI sells Bosch style relay bases that interlock with each other and are wired with 12 gauge primary wires. They are about $10 each and are stamped "Made in USA". I searched the internet for quite awhile looking for these. I bought 2 when I did the headlight relay upgrade. They are P/N PT-BOS-12BK. I'm really happy with them and customer service was great. I am not associated with the company...just a satisfied customer.
I checked their website out. they seem to have a lot of good stuff.

http://terminalsupplyco.com/default.aspx
Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I can also chime in long term use with substantial current and optional hi and low beam use, at the same time, equals hi-power offroad lighting capabilities, I did use Sylvanias, cant beat this upgrade.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:32 PM

Thanks to this forum and the relay trick I now have lights once again. But here is my problem now when I cycle the high/low the lights do a police car thing one side is high the other light is low then vice versa when I click the the high/low switch. I checked the wiring I did with the relays about a dozen times, all is good. don't know what's up, at least I have lights once again

Quick Reply: Installing Headlamp Relays