1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

injector pump leaking help needed ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 AM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
injector pump leaking help needed ASAP!

Guys, I'm supposed to leave in the morning for about a 4000 mile trip. Went out this morning and the IP seems to be leaking where it mounts to the engine.
There is also a constant drip of fuel from the blow by tube. I did check the oil there seems to be no fuel in the oil, or maybe I just can't tell that there is fuel in the oil. Any help will be great.

Thanks, Tony
Old 01-13-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
First, check out jim lanes articles in the sticky for the control valve, and the fuel pin. Sounds like the leaks you are having. I have a leak on the front of my pump from the governor shaft o-ring....have to pull the pump again for that.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:34 PM
TJE

Thanks for the tip. I went out, and looked again. I can see fuel weeping from where the pump, and the engine come together. If I watch it long enough I can began to see the fuel seep out from this area.

Any more info is appreciated.

Thanks, Tony
Old 01-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Up top or down at the bottom? If it's up top it's definitely that pressure regulator.

I'm more concerned about the drips from the breather tube. Is it possible that a leaky lift pump or fuel filter is letting fuel drip down the outside of the breather?
Old 01-13-2008, 03:11 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Up top or down at the bottom? If it's up top it's definitely that pressure regulator.

It is dripping just a little above the timing mark.

I'm more concerned about the drips from the breather tube. Is it possible that a leaky lift pump or fuel filter is letting fuel drip down the outside of the breather?
It is possible I guess. I have had a problem with the fuel leaking around the filter in the last few weeks.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:16 PM
TJE

Could you explain that pressure regulator?
Old 01-13-2008, 03:41 PM
TJE

Up Date

Hey guys, I have double checked everything. The fuel is leaking from a little above the timing mark. It is then falling on the tranny cooling tubes, and running down them, and then it going from there to the blow by tube. At first glance it appears to be coming from the blow by tube, but it is just on the outside of the blow by tube.

Again thanks for the help, Tony.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Based on your description of where the leak is, I think the inlet fitting is just loose. Fuel from there would flow as you describe. Loosen up the fuel supply line and snug down the inlet fitting, there's a rubber/steel gasket under it. Then retighten the supply line and see how things are.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:51 PM
TJE

Based on your description of where the leak is, I think the inlet fitting is just loose. Fuel from there would flow as you describe. Loosen up the fuel supply line and snug down the inlet fitting, there's a rubber/steel gasket under it. Then retighten the supply line and see how things are.
I did this before it got dark, and that seems to be the problem....so far no more fuel leaks.
I just did not want to break down on the highway. Thanks guys, Tony