1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

injector pop off question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
injector pop off question

So i found some 215 hp p pump injectors (i'm just swapping tips) i'm going to throw in my truck and see if that helps it run better, I think i have a bad injector or delivery valve. I had my cousin check with a diesel shop on extrude honing some injectors for me and they told me i shouldn't do it and i'd be better off with new 60 hp injectors (still trying to find out hole count and size) and they told me i'd probably have problems with the 215 nozzles but i could try them, then they told me to bump the pop pressure to 260-270 bar and i'd be better off...My problem is A. I was thinking 260 bar would be pushing it (about 200 psi different) now if i bumped it to 265-270 I think i would destroy my injection pump. any reason to bump my pop pressure past stock pressure? whats a safe pop off pressure?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 PM

anyone?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would just run em as is....with injectors that small, I don't think the pop off would make that much of a difference.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
generally the VE shouldn't get higher BAR injectors, people do run PODs which are 260BAR I think, but I wouldn't even wanna go that high. It's hard on the IP. one Barrel supplies 6 injectors with fuel on a VE and the reason ppumpers can get away with higher POP pressures is because it has 1 barrel per injector. At least that's the reason why our local bosch shop says the VE shouldn't get much higher POP pressures. And I've read that same answer over on CF too.

Swap the 215 pump tips and have it set to 245BAR and call it a day.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure the 215 nozzles are good, they are 5 hole so you will notice a big difference. I set my VE injectors to 250-260 depending on the spray pattern and application.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:31 AM

Rick, I've read it both ways on cf lol, i've done some extensive searching over there, thats what has me confused some say its going to ruin the pump at 260 then someone will say pods are 260, then i've read where some say its an urban myth..... 1slowve I've had them apart cleaned the nozzles (used small brass wire from a tooth brush wire brush) blew them out with brake clean really good and looked the needles over didn't see much, what else should i look for, i didn't see any cracks or anything. I'll pop test them once i get them on my bodies to make sure they spray good.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 PM

yeah, take it for a grain of salt, but a local shop told me the same thing. And they know these pumps well, and do good work too. the guy who said it to me has been working on these pumps since the 80s and I trust his judgement.

It makes sense that the VE can't handle too much higher pop pressures though. And it's really common for ppump trucks to run in upwards of 300-310 BAR so I don't think it's an issue for them. I wouldn't wanna go any higher than 260 on a VE. I mean, guys have run PODs with success so it can't be too bad. It might shorten the life of the pump some, who knows. Nothing is confirmed, that's for sure.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:26 PM

The stockers are 500 psi low, the 2nd gen ones have 120k miles on them so hopefully the springs have seated in and the pop pressures will be a tad under 260 bar. So I maybe good anyways if I'm lucky.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 PM

STOMP has run up to 310bar I believe.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 AM

Sorry, 280....
Old 03-25-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by JQmile
Sorry, 280....
yes, but he's never put enough time on a motor to even come close to saying how it affects long term reliability.

I never said it hasn't been done. I'm just saying (what I consider a reliable source) i heard it will shorten the life of the pump/it's hard on the pump
Old 03-25-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick 12v CTD
yes, but he's never put enough time on a motor to even come close to saying how it affects long term reliability.

I never said it hasn't been done. I'm just saying (what I consider a reliable source) i heard it will shorten the life of the pump/it's hard on the pump
I've heard that as well and I agree entirely. Jeremy also has a 14mm pump as opposed to a 12mm. I'd assume a pump with more volume could handle a set of injectors with slightly higher pop pressures. However, I can understand a higher pop pressure putting an additional strain on a 12mm pump and therefore the possibility of a decreased life-span. When I had my stockers tested and then new 4x.014 nozzles put on them, the shop brought up the pop pressure and recommended 260bar. I said I'd prefer 245bar as the bodies call for (they should have known that had they looked at the bodies). Not knowing much at the time, I was on the phone with them numerous times discussing pop pressure. They kept telling me that they thought 245bar was too low. So I said, fine, set them at 250bar then.

Looking back on that, it makes me wonder if they really knew what they were doing or not. The guys were really cool though, letting me walk through their test areas and watch my injectors get tested right before my eyes. It's the only shop that I know of near my area though so I don't know that I have any other choice but to got to them.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
I've heard that as well and I agree entirely. Jeremy also has a 14mm pump as opposed to a 12mm. I'd assume a pump with more volume could handle a set of injectors with slightly higher pop pressures. However, I can understand a higher pop pressure putting an additional strain on a 12mm pump and therefore the possibility of a decreased life-span. When I had my stockers tested and then new 4x.014 nozzles put on them, the shop brought up the pop pressure and recommended 260bar. I said I'd prefer 245bar as the bodies call for (they should have known that had they looked at the bodies). Not knowing much at the time, I was on the phone with them numerous times discussing pop pressure. They kept telling me that they thought 245bar was too low. So I said, fine, set them at 250bar then.

Looking back on that, it makes me wonder if they really knew what they were doing or not. The guys were really cool though, letting me walk through their test areas and watch my injectors get tested right before my eyes. It's the only shop that I know of near my area though so I don't know that I have any other choice but to got to them.
you`ve got it backwards, the 14 mm piston will work harder to reach the pop pressure than the 12mm piston. and the extra work needed by the 14mm will cause more wear on the pump cams. it is simple hydraulics, the small pistons in the injector nozzle stays the same size, and the small springs set the pop pressure. there for the 12mm piston will take less apply pressure from the IP cam to reach the pop pressure. the 14mm piston will deliver more fuel with the same stroke as the 12mm piston, but will have to work harder to do it.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeFreak
Rick, I've read it both ways on cf lol, i've done some extensive searching over there, thats what has me confused some say its going to ruin the pump at 260 then someone will say pods are 260, then i've read where some say its an urban myth..... 1slowve I've had them apart cleaned the nozzles (used small brass wire from a tooth brush wire brush) blew them out with brake clean really good and looked the needles over didn't see much, what else should i look for, i didn't see any cracks or anything. I'll pop test them once i get them on my bodies to make sure they spray good.
Honestly, I won't wire wheel the tips of nozzles as its too abrasive in my opinion. Using the brake clean is a great idea to make sure all holes are clear. Nozzles that small don't crack, when they get to the point you are cross feeding the holes is when they crack. My brothers 95 Ford with a VE in it has been running for over a year with 5x0.012"s set to 255 bar and they have been fine. It has hauled the 2.6 puller, the 2.8 puller, scrap iron, and loads well over 15,000 lbs. It even has an ag pump on it that we have no clue how many hours/miles are on the pump. I don't expect you'd see an issue as I also have a customer in Texas running 5x0.018" injectors that are set to 260 and the truck runs hard.