1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Injector nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a good point to bring up with my wife )
Old 09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm glad to hear you finally got them out. Was the carbon just around the tips or did you have deposits up past the copper seals?
Old 09-18-2006, 07:38 PM

I had carbon all the way up to the notch in the injector bore(in the head). Not sure how it got past the seal. Also the guy before me is religious about fuel additives. He has ran some in every single tank since he bought the truck aprox 2years/30,000km ago. I know because he is a friend of mine and he gave me a 10min lecture when I bought the truck about how the VE needs some xtra lube. Any how my install should be done by wed/thurs as I am waiting for more parts but with the W/M it shouldnt have all that carbon build up anymore, I hope.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you got-er-did! I'm beginning to wonder about the crap getting into the injector bores on non i/c trucks....could it be the 9mm tip bore is allowing enough cracking between the valve seats to keep the injector from completely sealing, hence the GAK in the bore? I have similar issues on a couple injectors (can't remember which #'s, but it's the same each time...) and I have this slightly crappy idle, regardless of injector. The cylinders look nice (crosshatching w/416k, via a boroscope thingy) but maybe I/we are losing some bang through the seal....just thinking out loud here.....
Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 PM

Thats possible. Take a note as my 2 worst cylinders were #6 and #3. The rest looked really good with almost no carbon at all. Cylinder #3 was so thick I am not sure how it even got in there. Once the injector was out I couldnt understand how it even fit in there .
Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fergavs
Thats possible. Take a note as my 2 worst cylinders were #6 and #3. The rest looked really good with almost no carbon at all. Cylinder #3 was so thick I am not sure how it even got in there. Once the injector was out I couldnt understand how it even fit in there .

Fergavs, was #6and #3 the same ones that you had problem before with...........you did say that this was the 2nt time that you have replace the injectors??? right?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fergavs, did you take a look at #3 and #6 injectors to see where they where leaking past the copper seal? I just went through this on a IH engine in a trator. Copper sealing washers gave up on 2 cylinders and was leaking so bad on one cylinder you couldn't work it. Used a prybar on the one with the engine running to get it out. The other I wiggled it back and forth (no notch to worry about like a cummins) with visegrips, penitrating oil, and a pry bar. The rest where perfect with antiseeze around them yet.

When I looked at the bad one it looked like who ever put them in didn't clean the sealing surfaces very well and left nice little imprints on the washer face where it eventually leaked.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:22 PM

Cummins,......and snap-on,as well as ethers i'm shore, makes a bottle brush that has a step on it to allow the bore,sealing washer surfice,and hole or tip bore to be clean with one quick twist!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:56 PM

rust

was there only carbon in there i saw a guy around here that had a prob like that he got some coolant in there at one point everything was rusted
Old 09-20-2006, 02:55 PM

This was my first time removing the injectors and there was no rust only carbon. I have not looked at the washers but they are mixed up now(wasnt paying attention after a while,to much stress ) so it will be tough to know which washer for which injector but I will check all for damage. Injector #6 seperating like it did tells me it probably wasnt sitting in the bore correctly when it was installed which may have something to do with it getting so stuck. FWIW I used a prybar(4ft) on the #3 with a 4x4 from fender to fender and hanging off the bar while bouncing would not pry that litttle bugger out. Engine was pulled apart so I could not try while it was running.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fergavs
This was my first time removing the injectors and there was no rust only carbon. I have not looked at the washers but they are mixed up now(wasnt paying attention after a while,to much stress ) so it will be tough to know which washer for which injector but I will check all for damage. Injector #6 seperating like it did tells me it probably wasnt sitting in the bore correctly when it was installed which may have something to do with it getting so stuck. FWIW I used a prybar(4ft) on the #3 with a 4x4 from fender to fender and hanging off the bar while bouncing would not pry that litttle bugger out. Engine was pulled apart so I could not try while it was running.

I thing i would get a brush.....any kind of brush that you can fit down into there. when all clean, look real hard for cracks......the surfice needs to be good and clean any way for the new inj!

greg's got me curious about the so called non intercooled head cracking
Old 09-20-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In a former life, I was a half decent trumpet player (big bands, mostly) and a trumpet bore brush happens to be just a shade bigger than an injector. You can pick one up at any decent music store for a buck or two