1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Improving visibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Improving visibility

Was outside the other night, with my lights on, and I realized that you really can't see the truck from the rear that well, so as I'm looking for a set of LED taillights, I figured I'd experiment.

I had a 2" round (9) LED parking lamp, siting around, and I figured I'd install it on the truck.

Didn't want to cut a hole in the side of the truck, so for the mean time, I just stuck it in the taillight.

2 1/8" hole saw, and about 15 minutes, and what a dramatic improvement for others to see the truck at night from the side view.

I'm going to add a bunch of LED running board lights to the side, and maybe even permanently put a light in the rear fender... something flush and not that sticks out like the thumb lamp in my tail light... but it's good for now..

What's ya think ? Hate it ? Like it ? eh, who cares ?

I like the idea that I'm more visible @ night from the side, especially since I'll be plowing snow with it..
Attached Thumbnails Improving visibility-dsc01073.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really care for the look of it.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
I've upgraded my taillights with the multi-LED bulbs. I like them. I've still got to get around to doing the front.

NOTE:

- You'll get the best results if you get red LEDs to go behind your red lens. Get yellow LEDs for going behind yellow lens. This works MUCH better than a white LED behind the red or yellow lens.

- If you convert your entire stop and turn signal system to LEDs, you may find that you'll also have to change your blinker to an electronic blinker as the LEDs don't draw enough current for the old-school blinkers to work right. They'll act like you've got burned-out bulks and blink really fast, if at all.

- Our trucks sport tail-lights that include side looking lens. What I mean is the red light is presented as seen from the side of the truck, not just pointing back. Know that current LED technology has them shine the light really good in one direction. They don't glow well from the sides like a standard bulb does.
That being said, be sure to get LED bulbs that include LEDs shining to the side.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
I've upgraded my taillights with the multi-LED bulbs. I like them. I've still got to get around to doing the front.

NOTE:

- You'll get the best results if you get red LEDs to go behind your red lens. Get yellow LEDs for going behind yellow lens. This works MUCH better than a white LED behind the red or yellow lens.

- If you convert your entire stop and turn signal system to LEDs, you may find that you'll also have to change your blinker to an electronic blinker as the LEDs don't draw enough current for the old-school blinkers to work right. They'll act like you've got burned-out bulks and blink really fast, if at all.

- Our trucks sport tail-lights that include side looking lens. What I mean is the red light is presented as seen from the side of the truck, not just pointing back. Know that current LED technology has them shile the light really good in one direction. They don't glow well from the sides like a standard bulb does.
That being said, be sure to get LED bulbs that include LEDs shining to the side.
David,

Is it possible for you to photograph your tail lights ? I tried, without success, as I'm not really good with cameras, and settings required for shooting @ night.

I already have the electronic flashers, as the OE ones were toast. Thank you for all of the good pointers, as I would like to do something with these tail lights to make them brighter..

I've found your bulbs you're talking about on amazon, but not of lots of good reviews on them.

T.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
I don't really care for the look of it.

Ditto,

That's why I was looking for something more appropriate. My lenses are broken up, so I'm switching regardless. Looking to enhance them, considering there are no LED tail lenses available, AFAIK

Just FYI

I have what I would consider an innovative idea on how to address this.

I just ordered two new light assemblies. I'll post pix once my experimentation is done.

T.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:24 PM

I have the multi led bulbs in mine also they are pretty darn bright.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
David,

Is it possible for you to photograph your tail lights ? I tried, without success, as I'm not really good with cameras, and settings required for shooting @ night.
I'm not sure this does them justice . . .

Driving ..

Name:  2b90fa36.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  269.8 KB

Brakes on . . .

Name:  495ae287.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  265.7 KB

IIRC, The ones I run are P/N: 1157-R45-T as are found here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

1157-x45-T: 45HP-LED BAY15D Tower Bulb
- 12VDC replacement bulb 15mm 1157 Dual Intensity Bayonet Base Tower type with 45 High Power SMD LEDs
- 9 x Foward Firing SMD LEDs, 36 x Radially Mounted SMD LEDs, 120 degree beam LEDs, 360 degree beam lamp. These bulbs emulate standard incandescent stock bulb with entire lamp housing illumination and no hotspot.
- Select LED color to match vehicle lens color
- THIS IS OUR BRIGHTEST BA15 BULB
Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
David you will probly never get hit in the rearend...........99% of the people can't get close enough.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
What about wiring one of these INSIDE each len pointing to the side as you see in some of the taillights in the newer trucks?

(Linked image)

I think that would be pretty cool looking!!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
What about wiring one of these INSIDE each len pointing to the side as you see in some of the taillights in the newer trucks?

(Linked image)

I think that would be pretty cool looking!!
That's exactly what I'll be doing with my new lenses I just ordered.

Taking a stock set of tail light assemblies and inserting a set of LED's inside. I'll be using the original ones for experimenting, and once I figure out the best method, I'll LED my new lenses.

T.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by BC847
I'm not sure this does them justice . . .

IIRC, The ones I run are P/N: 1157-R45-T as are found here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

Thanks David. Gives me good inspiration......

Based upon the chart provided by that website you suggested, wouldn't it be "brighter" if we bought the white ones ?

Look @ this chart.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...115x-x45-T.htm

T.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 AM

How about the superbrightleds bulbs that plug into the factory harness? They have bulbs shining 360 deg. They are like $18
Old 11-12-2011, 06:33 AM

I have a strip of LEDs that go under the tailgate that light up when the headlights are on, and that get brighter for brake lights. I think it looks cool and it definitely adds some additional visibility.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Subliminal
I have a strip of LEDs that go under the tailgate that light up when the headlights are on, and that get brighter for brake lights. I think it looks cool and it definitely adds some additional visibility.
I've seen lights like that aimed at a chrome diff cover, which adds rear visibility and highlights the cool cover ,
Old 11-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
NJT, have you discovered if there's an easy way to remove the red lens from the taillight assembly itself? Looks as though it's glued into place. I wonder if some sort of adhesive or gasket remover would free it up without eating through or leaving a haze on the lens.