1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I'm tired of removing the air intake to change the oil filter!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm tired of removing the air intake to change the oil filter!

Seriously!

One of the things I value about the Cummins engine design is that oil doesn't spill everywhere when I change the oil filter (Why can't EVERY engine manufacturer figure out how to do this!). So, in order to get the filter out of it's cubby without turning it over and spilling oil, I have to remove the air intake hose. I have a BHAF with 4" aluminum tubing and 2 45* rubber elbows, so removing it isn't as easy as a stock hose. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

I have plans for the future to relocate the transmission heat exchanger. I hope that will help this problem. The coolant lines effectively make a little cage around the bottom of the filter that necessitates tipping the filter to get it out if you don't remove the intake. By relocating the heat exchanger I think I can do away with the coolant lines that make the cage.

Oh, well. If this is my only issue right now I guess I'm happy!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil dual bypass behind the bumper fixes that for me! Twins made changing the oil 'cleanly' a PITA!!

In combination with genos quick drain plug I can have filters and oil changed FAST!! and not a drop on the floor!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I agree, removing the intake-tube is a pain; but, being forced to take loose the intake-tube at each oil-change gives one more reason to take out and inspect the air-filter, which could otherwise be forgotten.

Someone on here enlightened me with the wonderful idea of loosening the filter, then slipping a bread bag over the filter before spinning it off; the bread bag keeps most of the mess contained, should a mishap occur.

Remote oil-filter mounting is on my list of future improvements.

I will second the oil drain valves, Fumoto ??F-104---I THINK??.

I wish I had known of them YEARS ago.

I have them on three of our Cummins trucks and am in the process of installing on the others when the oil gets changed.

I also intend to put them on the Getrags.

The one on my personal truck has been on there through numerous oil-changes and made a believer out of me.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:32 AM

The breadbag is a great idea. I have been so caught up in hating having to pull the intake tube, that I never thought of that!

I can't (or won't) pull my airfilter since it's a BHAF with an Old Smokey mount. I have a filter minder on the tube though like the 2nd gens have.

The problem I have going the other direction, putting the new filter on, is that I fill the new filter with oil before I screw it on. But I will try the breadbag solution next time for sure.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree, it is a pain. but i look on the bright side, it is a lot easier than other cars i have changed them on.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnold
Amsoil dual bypass behind the bumper fixes that for me!
I second that motion. I wanna have enough money saved up so that when my next full oil change comes up I can have a dual by-pass ready to install.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by bnold
Amsoil dual bypass behind the bumper fixes that for me!
Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60
I second that motion. I wanna have enough money saved up so that when my next full oil change comes up I can have a dual by-pass ready to install.

Someone please explain this "dual bypass" business to me.

I understand a remote filter relocater that simply functions like the original filter; but, what does this dual bypass do ??

Is one filter the plain old filter and the other a super-fine bypass filter, or what ??

Does this do the same job as the John Wayne toilet-paper filters ??

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 PM

You've got it.

It's technically called a Dual Remote Bypass System. It's a remote filter kit with a 2nd bypass filter built into it. The bypass filter is super-fine. I was just doing some reading about extended drain intervals. The lab claims that if you run a bypass, and use regular oil analysis, you can have drain intervals up to 1,000,000 miles! This was on a class 8 semi. But still! The claim, and I think I'm a believer, is that oil doesn't "wear out." It just builds up contaminants that are abrasive to the engine. The fine filtering bypass filter is able to take these contaminants out. You change the full flow filter at a regular schedule, and change the bypass filter every other filter change. Oil is drained at a time when analysis says it's time.

Here's a link to the AmsOil bypass systems: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

The dual remote is the BMK23.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:34 PM

And yes, the "John Wayne Toilet Paper" filter is a bypass filter. Some people swear by these units. I've not had any experience with them. The brand name is Franz. Here's the website: http://www.wefilterit.com/
Old 09-18-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Buy a third gen. I drop mine down from below. Air intake stays put. Plastic bag trick still works and the Fumotu valve is tops.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tuckerdee
You've got it.

Here's a link to the AmsOil bypass systems: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

And yes, the "John Wayne Toilet Paper" filter is a bypass filter. Some people swear by these units. I've not had any experience with them. The brand name is Franz. Here's the website: http://www.wefilterit.com/

Thank you, kind sir.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:05 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't pull the filter until the oil is drained out of the pan. After the filter sits for a bit it dosen't dribble oil everywhere when you remove it.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you need the BMK23 kit and the BMK25 filter kit?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
After the filter sits for a bit it dosen't dribble oil everywhere when you remove it.

The rest of us down here don't have the advantage of the oil being near frozen.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
The rest of us down here don't have the advantage of the oil being near frozen.
Try gettin' 140wt to move at -40*F

Quick Reply: I'm tired of removing the air intake to change the oil filter!