1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I'm sure this is a stupid ? but!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm sure this is a stupid ? but!!!

First of all I must say this is a great site. I've just joined and learned a bunch of thing I didn't know about my CTD. The how to is great. But twords the end I see a write up on a "vallet switch"? What is the perpose of this? What will it do for our trucks. From what I've read about the workings of our pumps it will only make it not fuel at boost pressures? If thats the perpose then why? The only answer I can come up with is little smoke under load so when the Sheriff is behind you or when you go in for opasities(spelling?). Well I'm sure it's a stupid question but I had to ask. Thanks to all that reply in advance.

Justin
Old 04-24-2008, 11:21 PM
alwaysonDTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your right, to keep your milage and still have all the smoke/power you want when you want it
Old 04-24-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
And don't worry about stupid questions. We are really gentle here. Whenever we get any bullies we haul them to the edge of town in a prius and take lots of vid for youtube.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
My understanding is the "valet" switch fools the fuel-pin into not pouring on the extra fuel, but still build the boost, thus keeping EGT under some bit of control while towing with a highly fueled engine.

Where they came up with "valet" is beyond me.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:27 PM

And...don't forget to fill out your signature. It really helps when people want to give advice.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooperthorn
we haul them to the edge of town in a prius
What is a prius, maybe some kind of hearse-like conveyance, possibly ??
Old 04-24-2008, 11:30 PM
alwaysonDTR

Originally Posted by BearKiller
My understanding is the "valet" switch fools the fuel-pin into not pouring on the extra fuel, but still build the boost, thus keeping EGT under some bit of control while towing with a highly fueled engine.

turn it off to keep the valet from running off with your high powerd truck,
i think it might be an old thing about turning off your fuel pump so the valet would run out of gas if he tried to drive it to far.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:36 PM

Thanks for makin a guy fella welcome, guys. I just updated my profile, while you guys were answering my stupid question. I'm sure to have a bunch more in the next couple of months. I'm going the be doing some mods and I'm gathering info now. htt stage 4, powerstroke IC, 3" IC pipes, 24valve intake horn, 370's or possibly biggger if I think I can manage it? I don't tow I just blow black.
Once again thanks guys.
Justin
Old 04-24-2008, 11:39 PM

What is a prius, maybe some kind of hearse-like conveyance, possibly ??
The prius is a wildly speading automotive vermin that, as I understand it, runs on carbon dioxide that it sucks out of the atmosphere. Yes the prii, plural for prius, are responsible for the recent cold wave we've had throughout the Northwest. For goodness sakes, it snowed in the willamette valley on April 21st. As I was saying the prii suck and are responsible for the yet to be proven reduction in greenhouse gasses causing global cooling. So we need to do our part and blow lots of black smoke to put the balance back into the world.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:43 PM
alwaysonDTR

there has to be a balance, right?
so would blowing a big cloud of soot on a pirus help it live?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alwaysworking
there has to be a balance, right?
so would blowing a big cloud of soot on a pirus help it live?
Sorry justin for hijacking your post, but this is just too much fun.

If smoking prius don't get you that buzz any more I've heard they make good fire starter. Short the batteries into the tiny little gas tank, throw on a set of old tires. Hour of fun.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 AM
alwaysonDTR

an hour takes to long maybe we should use a bigger gas can?
ever seen a pirus running around on fire, that will entertain you?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:02 AM

No problem I'm just cruzin the site lookin at info. I have a hippi friend of a friend that I like to cover in the black cloud all of the time. He hates it, I love it. I live out in no mans land but I travle into town every day 100 mile round trip. I make it a mission to get in front of those "eco friendly cars and have some fun" It's best if there is a convertable, and well you get the drift.
Justin
Old 04-25-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The idea is to reduce power back to stockish and foolproof levels so that when you let the valet park your truck (yeah, right, like we'd let that happen), he can't go play or do damage to your truck (like melting a piston) because of the non-stock power mods. Some of these trucks require close attention to the pyro and you can bet that the valet won't be watching it when he's out test driving your rig.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
The idea is to reduce power back to stockish and foolproof levels so that when you let the valet park your truck (yeah, right, like we'd let that happen), he can't go play or do damage to your truck (like melting a piston) because of the non-stock power mods. Some of these trucks require close attention to the pyro and you can bet that the valet won't be watching it when he's out test driving your rig.
Yep. That's what I heard.

Quick Reply: I'm sure this is a stupid ? but!!!