1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I'm BACCCKKKK - (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I'm BACCCKKKK - (long read)

Well, sort of, I never really left...but after I sold my '92 over a year ago I've gone through a few different types of vehicles and nothing can replace a CTD, but another CTD. I had a gorgeous '95 Mustang GT 5.0, a radical '93 Silverado on airbag suspension, a chop-top '54 Bel Air, as well as the 3 current trucks I have ('98 Ranger XLT, '85 F-250 Gas, and '64 Chevy C-10).

So I've been driving my '64 Chevy C-10 all summer with no problems other than the heat. It's hot as all hell here in Texas and I needed something with AC. I bought a '98 Ranger as a little daily commuter, thinking it could handle the duties I needed it to. This little truck is 2wd, reg cab 5spd with a 4cyl. You'd think it'd get good mileage, but this poor thing strains on every hill, and just getting it up to highway speeds is pathetic. I'll average 20mpg driving it to work & back for a solid week, nowhere else, and around 25mpg on a long trip. Keep in mind those are EMPTY numbers...cut it down to about 2/3 of that when loaded with some 20's-30's Ford hot rod goodies. I put an engine in the bed and it'll barely get up a lame incline. I put an empty 5x8 utility trailer on the bumper and it'll barely get down the highway at 60mph ***** out. Don't even get me started on how it does when the trailer is stuffed with my hot rod parts. The F-250 is a hunting truck only and not street legal. The Chevy can handle the loads, but I don't have a trailer hitch for it, and quite frankly, would rather bring it out on the weekends and at night since it's more of a custom truck.

I've been pondering of getting another CTD, but never really put alot of thought into it until about 2 weeks ago when I started looking high and low for the right truck. I really wanted a good 2nd gen Dually, but only if I couldn't find the right 1st gen. I've been wanting a 4x4, but another 2wd wouldn't hurt my feelings. I've been losing sleep over finding a truck, and my girlfriend is just about fed up with hearing me talk about all the trucks I've been looking at.

So the other day I found a 91.5 Dodge Ram LE D250 Reg Cab with Cummins & Auto trans. Real clean truck, real good price. I'm still working out all the details on the purchase since I have to go out of state to get it, but, for the most part it's mine this weekend as long as everything works out smoothly.

Anyhow, like it or not, I'll be gracing the DTR with my presence again. I'll be chiming in with unfamiliar "issues" (let's pray there won't be any) on the truck. Since this is an Automatic truck, I'm sure I'll have questions for that, but not before I start researching hard. Most everything else I've already been through. Plans are to go a similar route I went with on my '92... Pump tweak, Turbo upgrade, Exhaust, Injectors, Fuel Pin, Timer, Trans upgrades, Gauges...blah blah, you all know the routine.

So yeah, good to be back...see you boys around
Old 08-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TexasHardcore
Well, sort of, I never really left...but after I sold my '92 over a year ago I've gone through a few different types of vehicles and nothing can replace a CTD, but another CTD.
You know, as a venerable member of DTR, you are supposed to know that before you trade you're truck for a Ford car or a Chevy truck. (The Bel-Air is marginally acceptable. )

Glad to see you back.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome back, sort of. Keep us posted.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Good to have you back!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice to have you back, we missed you Jeremy,
Old 08-31-2006, 04:49 PM

OK, the deal fell through. As of tonight, I'll be playing for the other team. I'm picking up a '96 Ford F-250 Powerstroke 5-spd 4x4 Extended Cab.

I just can't pass up the deal. For the price is beats out even the nicest 1st and 2nd gen Dodge trucks. My dad, as well as several of my friends have, or have had this body style truck and they love them.

I'll still be around here though, and will be trying to make the local events and gatherings. Who knows, maybe someday I'll toss the 7.3 in favor of a 5.9
Old 08-31-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OK, the deal fell through. As of tonight, I'll be playing for the other team. I'm picking up a '96 Ford F-250 Powerstroke 5-spd 4x4 Extended Cab.

I just can't pass up the deal. For the price is beats out even the nicest 1st and 2nd gen Dodge trucks. My dad, as well as several of my friends have, or have had this body style truck and they love them.

I'll still be around here though, and will be trying to make the local events and gatherings. Who knows, maybe someday I'll toss the 7.3 in favor of a 5.9
Another Superduty?

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Booooo!

At least it doesn't have spark plugs.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, you're getting the best of the ford trucks (IMO) and the best itteration of the 7.3 (again, IMO). A fella could do worse, no doubt. Good luck with the rig, and be sure to drop a line every here and there--this is an equal opportunity forum, as long as we have more horsepower than you
Old 09-01-2006, 12:40 PM

Hahaha, I'll be around here...I'm a spy now Gotta make sure what you boys are up to. Always tricks up your sleeves.

Here's my new ride...don't hate me for it. When the PSD goes, it'll be powered by a Cummins.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Looks like a nice truck. Dockboy's truck puts down some impressive numbers and is insanely quick in the 1/4 mile - when it isn't in pieces. Don't push it too hard and it'll be a fun, reliable truck.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Good luck with it, thats the best looking of the Ford bodies IMO.