1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ignition Failed! Truck won't start at all. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it could be any of the orange wires?

Seems like there are actually 3...I took the pic from another thread.

So are the "electrical tape" lumps where the wires change colors and stuff, is that where the fusible link is? I mean if that what I am splicing around? It looks different that just the wire, right?

Edit: Oh wait...I just looked up fusible link on google...and there is fusible link wire...is that what I gotta mess with? Ok....lemme re-look...yikes! Not sure how to splice around it...anyone done it and have a pic???

J
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Correct procedure is to bipass the burned section with more fuseible wire, but most here splice in a HEAVY fuse. That's what I'll do if and when, ...
Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Loopi
So it could be any of the orange wires?

Seems like there are actually 3...I took the pic from another thread.

So are the "electrical tape" lumps where the wires change colors and stuff, is that where the fusible link is? I mean if that what I am splicing around? It looks different that just the wire, right?

Edit: Oh wait...I just looked up fusible link on google...and there is fusible link wire...is that what I gotta mess with? Ok....lemme re-look...yikes! Not sure how to splice around it...anyone done it and have a pic???

J

Each one of the wires coming out of that black duck-foot was a fusible-link when the truck was new.

It is un-telling what previous owners may have rigged along with them to keep things going.

Fusible-links are not some wonderful safety device; they are the vehicle manufacturers method of saving a bunch of time, money, wire, and proper fuses and still have some measure of short-circuit protection.

As soon as possible, you should eliminate that whole mess; start at battery-HOT and work your way back with individual wires, through properly sized fuses or circuit-breakers, and then splice them to the appropriate wires on the opposite side of the fusible-links.

That big fat black wire that continues across the fire-wall is the alternator charge wire.

You can ascertain the AWG of each wire and fuse it accordingly.

Some can be 15- or 20-amp fuses for the smaller wires; some of the bigger ones will get 30-amp circuit-breakers.

I made a lengthy thread, lost on here somewhere, describing how I re-wired a 1991.5
Old 09-29-2010, 01:24 AM

As usual, you guys get A million gold stars. In other words,,,Found it!

Yay!!!!

J
The following users liked this post:
ivan H (08-31-2023)