1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

If it's not one thing, It's another...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's not one thing, It's another...

Yesterday I decided I was going to put on my 12cm housing that I aquired off of a 2nd gen. Everything was going fairly well aside from the housing coming off a bit hard but that was all well and good until it came to putting it back on the truck. I was having difficulty making that wastegated housing fit so I went underneath and loosened the mounts on the exhaust hoping to give me some play. Once that was done I head up and start moving the exhaust back but it didnt seem to be going far enough. I go back under and I see a steady green leak. Turns out I broke a line off the back of the heat exchanger. On my whole truck there's little to no rust at all but on that one line. The heat must have weakened it. Needless to say, it's cracked. I figure if I replace the line with a piece of 5/8" rad hose and reroute it underneath the exchanger it will give me more room for my exhaust.

Ah well, it may be a minor setback but that stuff happens eh.

Mike
Old 03-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah, that will be fine. Double clamp the hose since there's no ridge to keep the hose on.

Did you get the exhaust hooked up? I found a floor jack was a handy helper when doing that myself.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got it all hooked up now. Took some time to get everything just right but she's together. There appeared to be easier ways to do some things than others so I had to stop and start over to get everything just right but it was worth it. As far as the exhaust went all I did was loosen a couple hangers and let her sit there. Moved the exhaust back, connected the turbo and hooked the bolts back up.

At idle she's got a slightly different bark and driving it's a bit different but not too much. On the hills you can see the difference because she seems to hold the needle better. At idle if you rev it and let off it makes a cool turbo whine which I like. Moreorless it all worked out good.

BTW with the Wastegate held closed it makes it funner