1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Idle Control Valve ,Idle Control Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle Control Valve ,Idle Control Motor

does anyone know where the Idle Control Valve , Idle Control Motor is cuz i think one or boith are bad
Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 AM

I could be wrong. But I think the only thing that controls the idle is the idle screw. All it does is stop the throttle from coming back to far.
The screw is tucked behind the afc.
Have fun adjusting it
Old 05-06-2011, 11:05 AM

yea i did that and with the pump back to stock. it still idles a lil high but when put in reverse or drive it bogs down and idles low and wants to die. and its an auto. justwanna know what i can do. or with the 366 spring do i have to set the idle really high so when in drive or reverse it doesnt bog down at all. but idk
Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Yep, it sounds like either indexing of the shaft or the tophat and spring assy may have been reinstalled wrong. The spring on the tophat is a pretty vital function to proper idle and idle load. As I understand it it allows the truck to idle at the designated speed under no load, then the spring collapses very quickly under any load to allow the gov to compensate for a load at idle, like the A/C or the kicking on, or the auto tranny going into gear. And then the main gov spring kicks into play when you move off idle.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by griffination
Yep, it sounds like either indexing of the shaft or the tophat and spring assy may have been reinstalled wrong. The spring on the tophat is a pretty vital function to proper idle and idle load. As I understand it it allows the truck to idle at the designated speed under no load, then the spring collapses very quickly under any load to allow the gov to compensate for a load at idle, like the A/C or the kicking on, or the auto tranny going into gear. And then the main gov spring kicks into play when you move off idle.
Whats the top hat? I backed screw at and kept re indexing it the shaft and got it to idle fine in gear but then idles high in neutral. After I did the 366sping installed. How do I fix this? Need help
Old 05-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
could it be your pump is getting weak? a weak VE will do that due to the fact that there a vain pump and need RPM to build pressure when rpms go low so does internal pressure .makeing the rpms go even lower, with no load pump pressure is higher because rpms are higher.