1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I struck a new idea on how to make a smoke switch for our trucks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by jensenkennels
Post removed
You dare dis a 1st genner? You must be new in these parts. Git him, Dave!!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's his 6th post. Just the new guy on the playground and he hasn't learned how to play nice. He'll learn. An Admin will let him know quickly enough how personal attacks are dealt with.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:16 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Post removed
wow dude, definitely not tolerated here. if you read the entire post, he did state that it was just a thought and it wasn't anything set in stone. if he really wanted to do that to his truck, then let him. you do what you wanna do with your truck and let us do what we wanna do with ours. he's just asking for opinions. a comment like the one you left is just disrespectful to all of us. dave will find you. who's the idiot now?
Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post removed
I don't particularly want MY truck to smoke at all, but it's a personal preference, just as the OP's preference was to make his truck smoke. While you may not agree with someone, we're all entitled to our opinions here.

Calling another member of DTR 'stupid' or an 'idiot' is considered a personal attack and is a good way to get yourself banned from the board.

chaikwa.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Please keep the opinions civil.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM

what if i made a wastegate cable or something? so i could open my wastegate manually and have it dump the soot. Its just another idea?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know it's an old post, but someone i know has a first gen, and he drained his windshield washer resevoir, filled it with diesel fuel, and ran the lines to an injector that was threaded into the PO's egt probe bung in the downpipe. It was insane. could only use it for short periods or it would cause accidents. the exhuast had to be hot as well, but not sure how much. it would just blow white otherwise. I think later he robbed a windshield washer resevoir/pump and put a switch in the cab so he could wash his windows.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 PM

What your doing is basically what the drive pressure style wastegate actuator does, but your spring isnt strong enough so its just blowing the waste gate open. You could make the lever arm longer, or get a stronger spring to control boost this way.
They sell them for 100 and some bucks, but, you could do your own r&d and save yourself the 100 bucks...
Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
You could do a 2.5" Exhaust cutout, Or whatever size your intercooler piping is, An exhaust cutout is like a "Y"

So instead of the boost being made and being stopped by wall, it would just be blown out the open cutout into the engine bay.

Make it electric so when its closed you can have normal air flow through your intake and when you hit the switch it opens the cutout and the boost does not go into the engine.

me and Smokems did this on his truck except without the cutout deal. LOL

We just unhooked his intercooled piping where it meets the intake and let the boost blow out into the engine bay. can you say smoke???

I'm a msPaint pro so here you go-
HEY thats a pretty good drawing of a duramax
Old 02-03-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its a cummins if you look real hard. LOL

shh....
Old 02-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing i learned was from an airplane mechanic, was because i leaned on the intake panel of the plane. He told me that if you cut off the air flow and create a vacuum you'll cause the turbine(or turbo in this case) to go from 100kRPM to around 500k in a split second and ruin it almost instantly, so i don't think the before the turbo idea is too good based on this...and should be kept for runaway scenarios.

I personally like brandon and Smokems idea, its kind of like a blow off valve but manually activated.

Don't the grand nationals (and rice burners)do this to get the turbo spooled up on the line? then hit a switch along with their trans break and away they go!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 PM

I have thought about putting an air shut off just in front of the turbo as a runaway shutdown though I never thought of using it to make extra smoke. I could see it being hard on the turbo.

I like to offset the carbon footprint of hybrids and fill late model F-bodys with a little black smoke when the moment is right so I can understand the want for a little more smoke sometimes.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The funnies thing about this whole smoke deal is that its more environmentally friendly than a gas car ever could be. No list of noxious fumes that eat away the ozone. Mostly just soot that cools and falls back to the ground, or gets electrolyzed(like static cling, the back of all box trucks) and sticks to the back of your rig.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by haloman
And you have the chance of over running your turbo as it tries to make boost.

manually opening the wastegate WILL NOT overspeed the turbo! Quite the opposite actually. Give it some thought and get back to me.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
manually opening the wastegate WILL NOT overspeed the turbo! Quite the opposite actually. Give it some thought and get back to me.
This is true. Opening the wastegate will let the exhaust gas escape without spinning the turbine blades, thus, not spinning the compressor, thus making little boost. Thats why you were making so much smoke.

Plus if you were to over speed the turbo, you would make a lot of boost. And little if any smoke.

Quick Reply: I struck a new idea on how to make a smoke switch for our trucks!