1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I struck a new idea on how to make a smoke switch for our trucks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I struck a new idea on how to make a smoke switch for our trucks!

Well i was messin around with my hy35 yesterday and i was messin with the wastegate. I was thinkin i could get more boost than i am so i took the J-hook off and disconnected the actuator. I put a spring on it so it would keep my wastegate closed. Well i took it out for a spin and i don't really know what was goin on with the wastegate but i wasn't gettin like any boost and it was smokin like a freight train! It felt like a pig and it didn't have much power or anything but it sure smoked!!! I got back and i hooked the actuator back up and tightened it about as far as i dare go and put the J-hook back on to the tightest it would go and i maybe gained 1 more lb of boost. Well i struck this idea while i did this. I know with little air it will just smoke a bunch because it will be lots of fuel with little air so I was thinkin could you put like a little valve that you could open and close with a cable in your intercooler pipe, right before it goes into the intake manifold? It would kinda be like a choke. You could maybe drill a few small holes in the valve so you could get a little air so it doesn't choke it down and kill your truck. This wouldn't hurt your truck would it? It would just run really really rich for a couple seconds and smoke like crazy. How do you think this would work? Its just an idea.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 PM

And.............., Why again?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 PM

it would only hurt it if you let it get really hot
Old 06-18-2009, 04:15 PM

So please..let it get REALLY hot!
Old 06-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Chapter President

And you have the chance of over running your turbo as it tries to make boost.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by haloman
And you have the chance of over running your turbo as it tries to make boost.
Yeah, that would be a big concern. Your turbo would work way harder than it should and probably kill itself. I would say it's a big no-no.

Aren't the HY's a 9cm exhaust housing?
Old 06-18-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could do a 2.5" Exhaust cutout, Or whatever size your intercooler piping is, An exhaust cutout is like a "Y"

So instead of the boost being made and being stopped by wall, it would just be blown out the open cutout into the engine bay.

Make it electric so when its closed you can have normal air flow through your intake and when you hit the switch it opens the cutout and the boost does not go into the engine.

me and Smokems did this on his truck except without the cutout deal. LOL

We just unhooked his intercooled piping where it meets the intake and let the boost blow out into the engine bay. can you say smoke???

I'm a msPaint pro so here you go-

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 PM

yeah the hy has a 9cm housing and i love it! Hey crossy's son, that is a better idea! I was thinkin about either that or put the valve before the turbo, on the intake so it wouldn't create any boost. You could watch your egt gauge and make sure it doesn't get too hot, and when it does, you just let off and close the valve. And you asked why? I think the same reason why the guys with the newer trucks have smoke switches. Sometimes it gets a little boring and you wanna have some fun or when the little ricers that wanna race come along. You could fill their car full of soot, then close the valve and kill them in a race.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 PM

ahhh man why you gona be a mean guy just let him have his fun. you know you enjoy smoking just as much as the rest of of us here. and if you say you dont your lying like a rug.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:12 PM

If your going to do this think about where you do this. If you do it up town or around town it wouldn't be long a city ordinance would be in place--"no smoking vehicles" "just as the extra fine city of Houston has" just as the jake brakes are being banned in most towns and cities. We are all but being crucified about us having "old non politically correct green machines". If you do this do it in a manner that only involves those who enjoy it, not around some old fuddy duddy who owns half of the city and all the banks. By the way don't dump this in the engine bay return it to the downpipe and let the boost go out the stack so it will blow the smoke 30' up. Just use some restraint before you pull up to the red light and smoke out the mayors wife!!!! Good luck.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 PM

OP's age is like 18.

So I am not surprised.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Would work great on tailgaters
Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 PM

Well i will have some stacks soon so it won't be directly smoking someone. I know everyone on here that has a truck that blows smoke has smoked someone out at least one time. I mean if the guys with the newer dodges can have a smoke switch, then why can't we? I just threw out an idea and i may have to try it out one of these days.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
I was thinkin about either that or put the valve before the turbo, on the intake so it wouldn't create any boost.
I wouldn't put a valve before the turbo. The compressor generates some massive suction when the turbo gets spooled up. You'll either be pulling too much vacuum and tearing up something in the intake, or screwing up the turbo because you're trying to spin the exhaust turbine when the compressor turbine has nothing to pull.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 1bad93
you know you enjoy smoking just as much as the rest of of us here. and if you say you dont your lying like a rug.
CONFESSION: I am nearing 40, but I have to admit that sometimes I love the childish rush of smoking the hell out of obnoxious, persistent tailgaters. They stay waaaaay the heck back after I fill their car with soot, too.

That, and bicyclists who cut me off in traffic. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I ride a bike too but these Oregon bicyclists have to be seen to be believed. The most self-righteous bicyclists on planet Earth...if you've driven in traffic in this city then you know...

Quick Reply: I struck a new idea on how to make a smoke switch for our trucks!