1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

i HATE wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
i HATE wiring

i just bought a whole new system for my truck. i got 4 pioneer 6x9s and the pioneer DEH-330UB deck. i wired it all up, all new wiring because the PO had a hackjob going and i didnt know which wires went where. only thing used from the truck was the accessory wire. couldnt find one that i could use, so i just picked one behind the dash and got lucky. its a red wire with a white stripe. System worked fine for a day or two. then it started cutting out all the time. i moved the ground and power wire directly to the battery. now the deck doesnt even come on. all the fuses are good. i also plugged in an ipod to radio thing in the cig lighter, and at first the light would fade in and out, but then it just stayed on solid. im stuck and dont know what to do.

any suggestions?

by the way, im not really a noob to wiring, i swapped a efi engine in my old toyota (wiring harness and all).
Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ground Issue ?under dash
Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 AM

i thought thats what it could be, so i moved it directly to the battery and nothing.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
You should have 2 wires that go to the battery, 1 ignition and 1 constant for the memory, are they both connected?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A while back I installed a radio in a jeep for a buddy. Thing wouldn't power up for nothing. Then realised the antenna cable wasn't plugged into the radio. Plugged it in and it's worked fine every since. I've installed numerous radios and haven't seen that. May check it on yours. I don't remember what brand his was.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Might want to double ck your speaker wiring, I had a similar deal but it was my home theater system. After calling Sony every bad name in the book, and then exchanging the reciever for a Yamaha I was SHOCKED...shocked I tell ya when I went to wire up the new/new reciever it did the same thing.....uhhhh speaker wires touching each other are a bad thing right?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 PM

thanks for the input guys, ill check it all out. Jim, they are both connected. i am going to try running the ignition wire directly to the battery just as a test.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM

got the deck on, turns out the antenna did have to be plugged in however, pretty sure theres a short somewhere. whenever i hit a big bump or hit the brakes hard, the deck shuts off for a second or two. now i have to find that.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 93-12Smoke
A while back I installed a radio in a jeep for a buddy. Thing wouldn't power up for nothing. Then realised the antenna cable wasn't plugged into the radio. Plugged it in and it's worked fine every since. I've installed numerous radios and haven't seen that. May check it on yours. I don't remember what brand his was.
I had the same problem in my '88 Lincoln Town Car. Went over some railroad tracks and the Pioneer turned off! Circuit City hacks didn't plug the antenna in all the way.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:45 PM

now that the deck comes on, it cuts out all the time. when i hit bumps, when i hit the brakes, all the time. all the connections are with butt connectors, and i put electrical tape over those. there is no way there can be a short. any suggestions on what i can do?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Banned

i HATE TO SAY IT BUT TRY THEsame radio in another vehicle and see if it work's right if not youn have a Bad deck
Old 01-28-2012, 07:14 PM

i have been thinking about that, and it could definitely be a possibility. i will try it in another when i can.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by firstgenW250
i have been thinking about that, and it could definitely be a possibility. i will try it in another when i can.
Have you checked the stereo wiring harness? One of the wires might be might be making a bad contact right at the plug.

BTW if you ever decide to use an amplifier to run the speakers and a sub, be ready for another pain in the ***. The stereo slot is so **** cramped. There's almost no room for the stereo to fit once all the RCA and other cables are hooked up to the back of it. I had to cut the metal bracket in the stereo slot, remove the AC/heater control so I could see what the hell was going on back there, then use a piece of wire hanger with a hook on it to tug on the big lump of cables in the back that was blocking my stereo from sliding in. Even then the stupid thing didn't have enough room to slide all the way in But it's like 95% in so I just left it like that.

Anyway good luck!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 PM

well i figured it out. i guess when the antenna is loose at the base it doesnt complete the ground or something. whos idea was that? haha. oh well, it works good now.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 AM

yes the new decks use the ground on the antenna lead for one of the grounds in the amp circuit due to the large number of plastics found in some cars dashes

Quick Reply: i HATE wiring