1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I Guess My Cowl Crack Fixed Itself....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face I Guess My Cowl Crack Fixed Itself....

I had a terrible rattle coming from behind the glove box that I assumed to be a cowl crack. I did look high and low under the hood for anything that would rattle (like the old jack and handle and that type of garbage) and promptly removed it/them. I resecured the air filter box and checked everything thing else that I could get to to try and stop that obnoxious sound eminating from back behind there. I had a friend who bought a 92 4x4 and he had the front fender and hood off so I could see what I was going to have to do to fix it while looking at his rig. (his were fine) About 6 weeks ago I noticed that the noise wasn't there anymore, why I don't know. But nothing changed...
So fast forward to today and it's still gone. I was kind of afraid to even think about it soon as that happens the dammed thing comes back. But not so far. Another friend said after I told him this that "metal moves" and that it looked like it moved in my favor. Anyway, I've been on rough back country roads and driven the interstate and it's still gone. So until and unless it comes back, I'm not going to "worry" about it. I guess I'll deal with it IF it comes back but I'm a liken that there's nothing but silence over there...sign me lucky.
Chuck
Old 06-09-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by chuxtruk
I had a terrible rattle coming from behind the glove box that I assumed to be a cowl crack. I did look high and low under the hood for anything that would rattle (like the old jack and handle and that type of garbage) and promptly removed it/them. I resecured the air filter box and checked everything thing else that I could get to to try and stop that obnoxious sound eminating from back behind there. I had a friend who bought a 92 4x4 and he had the front fender and hood off so I could see what I was going to have to do to fix it while looking at his rig. (his were fine) About 6 weeks ago I noticed that the noise wasn't there anymore, why I don't know. But nothing changed...
So fast forward to today and it's still gone. I was kind of afraid to even think about it soon as that happens the dammed thing comes back. But not so far. Another friend said after I told him this that "metal moves" and that it looked like it moved in my favor. Anyway, I've been on rough back country roads and driven the interstate and it's still gone. So until and unless it comes back, I'm not going to "worry" about it. I guess I'll deal with it IF it comes back but I'm a liken that there's nothing but silence over there...sign me lucky.
Chuck
My cracks only make noise when i'm pulling my trailer on bumby hiway roads!
You can se them if you look up at the wind shild thro the open door.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Hate to say this but...mine ONLY makes noise when the outside temp is below 45-50 or so, might come beack when the cold weather does.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:31 PM

Hey those are the best kind of problems. THose that fix themselves, I used to have an ol' yota p-up that had an electrical ghost that would fix itself. It was rather handy.