1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I finally bought a truck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the right tool to remove the panel - it doesn't cost much, but buying new panels will. I've had mine off a few times - there are a bunch of plastic clips around the outside edge, two screws hidden in the lower carpeted panel, one more near the door handle, and the handle itself has to come off, too.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:30 PM

Good advice, Dan I googled door panel tool and saw a bunch of styles, shaped like a very small crow bar tip with a screwdriver handle.

I assume you pry right at the clips? Maybe wedge the clip in the "V" of the tool?

Are the clips the pull-straight-out style, or the pull-up-then-out style?

I looked in the manual, I would guess my drivers side is a lock cylinder to latch rod problem. My pass. side maybe a handle to latch rod problem.

We'll see if it's that easy.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:33 PM

I took the panel off and locked and unlocked the door several times and couldn't see why it was hanging up. I thought maybe the linkage rods were bent or damaged but couldn't find anything wrong. Yes it uses the clips and I bought a new box of them at napa... I just took in one of my old ones and the matched them. I got the panel off with no damage but I have the tool. The tool is only like $10. Well worth it. I just replaced my hinge pins too but I didn't have to take off any panels. Oh and don't be braindead like me and put the hinge back on backwards and try to close the door hahahaha I think the sun was getting to me. Whatever the problem is, it has nothing to do with electronics. When you use the key it is a mechanical linkage. My power locks work fine but for some reason doesn't pop the **** up all the way. Seems to hang on something. Guess I'll have to take it apart again and not put it back together until I figure it out. I don't have a manual so you have better resources than me.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Don H
Good advice, Dan I googled door panel tool and saw a bunch of styles, shaped like a very small crow bar tip with a screwdriver handle.

I assume you pry right at the clips? Maybe wedge the clip in the "V" of the tool?

Are the clips the pull-straight-out style, or the pull-up-then-out style?

That sounds like the same tool I have and it works well. I try to get the "post" of the clip in the "V" - sometimes it helps to have a screwdriver or something to hold the panel out a little while you position the tool. Once nice thing about the plastic clips is that - so far, anyway - they seem to be more fragile than the panel itself. They pull straight out.

Good luck getting it fixed - Murphy always seems to show up when I'm working on my vehicles (like today - about two quarts of used motor oil on the garage floor...long story). Hopefully you'll have better luck than I do.....
Old 07-22-2004, 06:01 AM

GOOD SCORE Don. As long as yer happy- That's what counts.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:31 AM

the pics look great, thats the exact truck i wanted when i was searching but didnt have the cash to afford one for i got the regular cab auto and still love it.

you too have the same color scheme as mine. i got sick of the cheesy red pin stripe that runs chest high and ran black electricle tape over it all the way around, looks really sharp now i think. ill snap a pic sometime.

again, sharp ride! jiMMy
Old 07-22-2004, 11:57 AM

Looks nice. Who is the maker on the camper shell? I have a Brahma top that came with my 93 but its for the second generation trucks. i wanna sell it and
buy one that fits the 1st gens.
There is a guy about 3 miles from my house who just decided to see his stock 92 just like yours but with the original caps/tires, fully loaded but its an automatic. It has 91k original miles. Abosolutely unmolested and in excellent condition. I just made him an offer of $7k and i think I'll be bringing it home tonight! If so, then my 93 D250 club cab is up for sale!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Finally got to see the pics, that's a real nice truck! Gotta get that bog monster 21 cm housing off the turbo real quick!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:55 PM

She's a beauty! Congratulations!!
Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM

That was my next trip if NC didn't work out. That is BCooks off of TDR seems like a nice guy talked to him a few times. I hope it works out for you.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:23 PM

Thanks, guys.

Hey, Jimmy, I hear ya' on the red stripe. I'm not gonna' mess with it though, until I paint the truck, years from now. At that point I'll probably go all white or all grey. Or desert camo (camper too).

However, the red piece of rubbery/plastic across the tailgate bugs me, and is peeling off. Anyone peel this off?

Planejane, the shell is a Unicover. It is rougher than the pics show. There are some dents along the top edge on both sides, but there are locking doors on both sides and the rear, and I'm happy it came with a shell of any sort.

There will be a day when the shell is up for grabs, maybe next spring, whenever I buy a camper.

Yep, Mudcat, that's the one. BCooks is a heck of a nice guy, well informed, and corrected many of the common probs on our trucks.

He said he got over 50 calls, he didn't list it anywhere except TDR, but no one went to see it. I didn't know TDR had classifieds, from the time I saw the ad to handing over the cash was 48hours.

A few folks sent him copies of Nada/Kelly book values, hinting the price was way to high. Hmm.

Do I wish it cost me less? OH YEAH.

Do I think it is worth it? You bet.

Flight from Salt Lake to Omaha: $260
92 Dodge: $11,000
Deisel fuel costs home: $85
Warm, blissful feeling I have righyt now after returning from tearing up the local fire roads in 4wd: Priceless
Old 07-23-2004, 01:20 PM

Had doorlock prob with mine. Would not fully pop locks one side or other. Was bad switch. Try switching lock switch from one side to other, if problem moves is switch
Clark