1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I Can't Decide!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I Can't Decide!

I keep looking as redoing my exhaust and I can NEVER come to a solution... I see the straight pipe as an awesome idea but then I see the stax and I go... WOW! They're Sweeeet! So here's what I propose... I've never compared prices so lets get ALL the ups and downs of that, as well as benefits and disavantages of both. Really I never see alot of 1st gens with Stax but they look sweet imo. So what do I do here... what costs what? What's harder to get ahold of and install and so on and so forth? And also... Where would be the BEST place to buy/order from?

lol I promise this to be my last thread on exhaust

Mike

Edit: Some pictures of the Stax would also be kind of kewl as well. Just to see some more variety thats all
Old 04-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just route it straight out the hood.

It'd work for me. Anybody got a 5 inch mandrel bender in Southern California?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:20 PM
JKM

That is not legal here, exhaust has to exit behind the passenger compartment.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It's hard to do a nice stack system for less than normal exhaust, so cost on stacks is a negative. Stacks you pretty much have to build yourself. I don't know if it's the case on std. cabs, but on extended cabs there's a frame crossmember right where you'd want to come up through the bed. Going behind it causes you to lose more bed space than just the stacks would take up. Stacks get soot flakes on your truck when you start it.

That's all the negatives I can come up with. I am building a stack setup anyway.

I currently have a system from www.bigexhaust.com on my truck. It fits well and is competitively priced. You can leave out the downpipe to save a few bucks, the one in the kit is no better than the stocker. The only downside is it has no hangers so you have to cut the old ones off the old exhaust and weld or clamp them to the new exhaust. Rip Rook's 1st gen exhaust gets rave reviews.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:49 AM
JKM

Thanks for the help Dave , I think if mike decides to go with stacks that between the 2 of us we can build something , he's got most all of the tools there, i think we could build something to suit him.

His dad has 2 semi trucks , and i know i saw a few pieces of 4" flex pipe around his shop last time i was in, so i think we could fab something up.

In the bed , i have seen people that just use a Y pipe , and i have seen pictures of peope that built a box out of like 6x3 rectangle tubing , with a 4 or 5" outlet on each end , and a 4" inlet going down thru the box.

I'm just thinkin here , but that sounds like it would be easy to build, easier than making up a Y pipe. Is there a down side to doing it like that?
Old 04-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Banned

NO NO NO NO

Do the stacks. Do it neat.

keep the flex pipe at a minium

PLEASE!!!! don't do the stupid looking box thing in the bed
make or buy a nice Y-pipe.

I see so many good looking trucks with these goofy looking exhaust
setups done by some moron that "THINKS????" he knows how to make
his truck (or car) look and sound COOL, I >think< it look and sounds like krap.

I not pointing any fingers here, it's what I see out there.

InMyHumbleOpinion, I got lots of um.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:38 PM

Hrm... Where would be a good place to order a nice y-pipe? I preferably would like one as close to my area as possible... or at least one in the Canadian area.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:03 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally posted by A-Poc
Hrm... Where would be a good place to order a nice y-pipe? I preferably would like one as close to my area as possible... or at least one in the Canadian area.
If you're handy with a mig welder you can make your own. First make or buy two 90 elbows and then cut them in the middle square with one of the ends like this and weld them up.