1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HX35 swap any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
[QUOTE=Mopar_Aaron;3221298]
Originally Posted by mknittle

I know you said both ways will work but I'm guessing putting it in the dp is more accurate. But wouldn't you want to get the reading straight from the manifold?
I have been around logging trucks for all my life 53 years so when I installed mine. I put it in top of the downpipe just after the turbo. Same as the log trucks.
My reasoning is that If I put it in the manifold It would always be hotter than
what is normal on the big truck. This way I don't have a heart attack when the pyro reads 1500* Besides my pyrometer came with a weld on fitting.

I think it is relative to what you are used to.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mknittle;3221317]
Originally Posted by Mopar_Aaron
I have been around logging trucks for all my life 53 years so when I installed mine. I put it in top of the downpipe just behind the turbo. Same as the log trucks.
My reasoning is that If I put it in the manifold It would always be hotter than
what is normal on the big truck. This way I don't have a heart attack when the pyro reads 1500* Besides my pyrometer came with a weld on fitting.

I think it is relative to what you are used to.
Yea I get what you're saying. Seen some threads and pics and never saw anyone put it on the dp. But hey think I'll might try your way. Where can I get a pryo and gauge. Anyone else cheaper than auto meter? I need a pryo, tach, and boost gauge.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Mine is in the manifold. The reason for putting it in the manifold is quicker readings. You need quick response time with a hot rodded pump/engine. In the downpipe the pyro takes longer to react as the turbo soaks up some excess heat before the downpipe sees the drastic increase.

The cylinder temps are what you are monitoring and the closer your thermo coupler the better it is.

On big rigs, tractors etc they don't typically have quick spikes of egts as they are normally left stock.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by gyman98
Mine is in the manifold. The reason for putting it in the manifold is quicker readings. You need quick response time with a hot rodded pump/engine. In the downpipe the pyro takes longer to react as the turbo soaks up some excess heat before the downpipe sees the drastic increase.

The cylinder temps are what you are monitoring and the closer your thermo coupler the better it is.

On big rigs, tractors etc they don't typically have quick spikes of egts as they are normally left stock.
Hmm. Ok I'll take it all into consideration. I'm not really going to be tweaking my pump might not even touch the fuel screw. But will be putting in an aftermarket fuel pin. If I were to put the pyro on the manifold where is the optimal placement on the manifold for the pyro?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by gyman98

LOL Not around here.

A couple years ago my dad melted a compressor wheel so quick there wasn't time to let off, he mashed the throttle to pass a slow car and the turbo went "Pop" then no power. That was empty in his 1952 Peterbilt with a big cam 2 Cummins. we always keep a spare turbo on the shelf
Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 AM

oh man that sucks. Those trucks are putting out some serious egt's. Speaking of egt's what range is the best for our first gens? I think about 1200 is the highest you'd want to see on the gauge?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just an FYI, it's a thermocouple not a thermocoupler lol.