1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HT60 Exhaust Housing (How Bad is it?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With cracks in the flange I would not run it. If that breaks it could be a very bad day. The little cracks inside are no big deal. If you were to weld up the cracks in the flange I would wager that they would show up again soon. On the bright side I think the ht-60 ht3b share exhaust housings? I could be wrong though. Given that the cracks are so severe I might think about throwing a rebiuld at it too even though shaft play feels ok. It seems to have had a hard hot life. I think I have seen kits for them. From what I have read they are pretty basic to rebiuld just like an hx-35. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
why did the exhust hsg fail very high ETG's. why looking at the turbo ether the flang area is bad on the turbo or the exhaust manafold was bad at the flange or somewhere elase and had a exhaust leak . the flange could be welded up and machined but the divider is coming a part when the hsg gets like that you cant weld it and have it hold. if you look at the divider you will see that the metal looks like little squares those little squares are very hard and whene they come off they run right into the turbine wheel at very high speed and damage it. why I say at high speed. the only time that is going to happen is at load when the etg's are high and you have a lot of exhaust moving. I still would like to see a picture of the turbine wheel. one more thing the hsg has a crack in the turbine radius area of the hsg these cracks cant be welded I have seen them welded and they DONT hold very long. I had a costomer one time that welded heads and his turbo needed a new turbine hsg and I could not find one. and he wanted to try weld it so he did. put in the oven got it up to temp did the welding let cool in the oven he did the machine work boy it was a nice looking job but it didnt last you cant weld in the turbine radius area and have it hold. Look I am not trying to sell you anything just trying to help you. The hsg is junk dont use it. Ken
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by KD93
Scott, I'm sure you could find someone who has seen something like this fail, whether Ken or someone else. But I'd wager you could find someone who has seen this type of thing before and not fail too. No help to you I know, but if you look hard enough for something, sooner or later you're going to find it.
If I was in your shoes, I'd err on the side of caution as it's the DD you're talking about. Wait a bit longer, find a turbo in better shape, or a new housing at least, and do it right the first time. You've got the rest of the truck looking so darn awesome, it'd be a shame to marr any part of it for no good reason... well, Mo' Power is as good a reason as any I guess!!
You are absolutely right Karen, I'd rather make Mo' Power and keep it than throw it out the window

Originally Posted by SOOT4BRAINS
With cracks in the flange I would not run it. If that breaks it could be a very bad day. The little cracks inside are no big deal. If you were to weld up the cracks in the flange I would wager that they would show up again soon. On the bright side I think the ht-60 ht3b share exhaust housings? I could be wrong though. Given that the cracks are so severe I might think about throwing a rebiuld at it too even though shaft play feels ok. It seems to have had a hard hot life. I think I have seen kits for them. From what I have read they are pretty basic to rebiuld just like an hx-35. Good luck!
Well the reason why I jumped on this turbo in the first place was because of the gated 20cm housing, so I will definitely be searching for the exact same thing, the holset turbo specs I have on the ht60 and ht3b do infact show that they are the same housings. Hopefully this makes it a bit easier to find something for a decent price

Originally Posted by kensmachine
why did the exhust hsg fail very high ETG's. why looking at the turbo ether the flang area is bad on the turbo or the exhaust manafold was bad at the flange or somewhere elase and had a exhaust leak . the flange could be welded up and machined but the divider is coming a part when the hsg gets like that you cant weld it and have it hold. if you look at the divider you will see that the metal looks like little squares those little squares are very hard and whene they come off they run right into the turbine wheel at very high speed and damage it. why I say at high speed. the only time that is going to happen is at load when the etg's are high and you have a lot of exhaust moving. I still would like to see a picture of the turbine wheel. one more thing the hsg has a crack in the turbine radius area of the hsg these cracks cant be welded I have seen them welded and they DONT hold very long. I had a costomer one time that welded heads and his turbo needed a new turbine hsg and I could not find one. and he wanted to try weld it so he did. put in the oven got it up to temp did the welding let cool in the oven he did the machine work boy it was a nice looking job but it didnt last you cant weld in the turbine radius area and have it hold. Look I am not trying to sell you anything just trying to help you. The hsg is junk dont use it. Ken
I really appreciate your knowledgeable advice Ken, and I know you are just trying to help. I just wanted to be sure that I would definitely need to fork out some more cash for a housing in better shape

Thanks for everyones input! If I could send a beer in the mail I would