1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HT60 Exhaust Housing (How Bad is it?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Question HT60 Exhaust Housing (How Bad is it?)

Well I picked up a primary for my future twin project off ebay. Unfortunately it seems the exhaust housing has seen better days Looks as though it has gotten very hot!

There are about 6 cracks all the way around

What I would like to know is if it's still usable? I'm not overly concerned if it is not, as I got this turbo for a great price and everything else is in great shape. It would be nice to know that I didn't have to spend a few hundred on a new housing if this wasn't a big deal though. Guy I bought it off of said it was running fine when it was taken off....maybe he was feeding me a line, I'm not really too sure. It spins freely when together and there is hardly any side to side play.

On a side note, WOW is this thing a monster! 72lbs was it's shipping weight! Definitely going to have build a strong brace to hold this sucker up.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those cracks are nothing to worry about. Most high mileage/ run hard turbo housings end up with this. They usually don't crack any further than that. That is a very high stress point in the housing as so much heat is collected there and the ratio of metal mass vs. surface area is not good for heat dissipation. It will not affect performance at all. Run it.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 AM

Excellent! That's what I was hoping to hear
Thanks alot Soot4Brains!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I second that. My S300, H1C, HT4b, etc all had the same cracks after some use.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM

Well turns out there is another crack other than in the divider. I didn't catch this until the morning when cleaning the housing more and looking around, but you can actually see in the picture, right above the right arrow on the housing part that the impeller spins close to there is a small crack.
What do you guys think, if I ran this housing would I be pushing my luck? It doesn't interfere with anything right now, but maybe over time it may get bigger and the impeller will hit?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAyers
I second that. My S300, H1C, HT4b, etc all had the same cracks after some use.
'Some' use, he says. A 14mm VE and who knows what else, making 500HP+.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is fine. I would venture to say that most used housings will have these cracks. I know the ones I have got a hold of have them.

What did the WG'd HT60 come on?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 PM

Cool, just wanted to be sure I wouldn't run into any serious problems down the road. Thanks for the input!
I'm not too sure what it came off of, it has a "wishbone?" style flange on it, and the downpipe flange is flat. I will contact the guy and see what it was pulled off of. I'll go get some more pictures for you guys.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 PM

Old 08-31-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
That housing is PURE JUNK!!!! The flange is cracked the divider is coming apart at the flange it is cracked in the turbine wheel area. If it was just the cracks in the divider I would say run it but this one has had it. with that kind of damage to the the housing I would like to see the turbine wheel. what tells me this is 20+ years for rebiulding turbos and diesel fuel systems. ken
Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 AM

Turbine is in great shape, and there is hardly any play in the shaft. I was not too concerned with the cracks in the flange, as I would think that it could be welded up and resurfaced. Though, I think I will look for another housing anyways, for piece of mind. Hey Ken, you have a lot of experience with the matter, have you seen something like this before which leads to failure?
Thanks
Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 AM

run it, what ya got to loose? as long as it spins fine with minimal to no bearing play, i say try it.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Well a few people say run it and one person with loads of experience says don't even try it. If this truck wasn't a daily driver than I would absolutely fix the flange and run it, but I don't really want something that I could have avoided to leave me hanging on the side of the road...
I would like to know if Ken has seen something like this specifically lead to failure though.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 AM

Scott, I'm sure you could find someone who has seen something like this fail, whether Ken or someone else. But I'd wager you could find someone who has seen this type of thing before and not fail too. No help to you I know, but if you look hard enough for something, sooner or later you're going to find it.
If I was in your shoes, I'd err on the side of caution as it's the DD you're talking about. Wait a bit longer, find a turbo in better shape, or a new housing at least, and do it right the first time. You've got the rest of the truck looking so darn awesome, it'd be a shame to marr any part of it for no good reason... well, Mo' Power is as good a reason as any I guess!!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:14 AM

Looking a bit closer at those pictures, I'd say it would be possible to weld it back up. My only concern is why is it like it is in the first place? History will repeat itself...

Quick Reply: HT60 Exhaust Housing (How Bad is it?)