1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

how to start sitting truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to start sitting truck?

there are two non intercooled DRW first gens that are owned by a local storage yard. i asked the manager if they are for sale and he looked at me with stars in his eyes like i was his hero. he gave me the # to the corporate office and said he would love to get rid of them. hopefully i can talk the company into giving them up for beans. my issue is that i need them to be running if i purchase them. i would love to have another CTD to use as a work truck so mine doesnt get too beat up!

anyway, i wented to check out one of them and it seems the battery was totally flat, i turned the ignition and got nothing. engine oil was present in acceptable levels. these trucks have been sitting idle for a long time so im pretty sure the battery is totally flat. aside from a battery, what should i bring along next time i try to start one of em?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think really the only thing to go wrong with it sitting is the fuel going bad but i think it needs to be sitting for a really long time for it to go bad. Other then that as long as all the connections are go she should fire
Old 03-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bring your fully charged HD battery, a good HD battery charger as well....
Try operating the manual primer lever as well...if nothing else it will re-prime the fuel system as they do suffer drainback when left to sit too long...
Hold the throttle pretty much wide open while cranking it till she starts, then back out cause you'll want some oil pressure before any real revving or whatever.

When the fuel injector lines are charged with fuel you'll start seeing white smoke from the tailpipe,,,that's a good sign indicating fuel to the injectors.

pb...