1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

how to run 13s

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrussell
I only get to enjoy about 70% of all that HP, as the other 30% goes to keeping the TC happy and slipping.
O, Ya, how how hot dus it get when you stall it up and blast down the road?

Never had a tranny guage in my cuda but the first TQ(STALL CONVERTER)
i folded the fins over,in the converter, cas i stalled it to long, and was only using the tranny cooler in the radiator!

after the 2nt converter rebuild, i added an extra cooler for it!
Has held up for manny years now!

just make shore the tranny cooles back to normal, before you shut down,in nutrol of corse
Ya i no again
Old 07-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

I didn't look at the tranny gauge (it's low down and hard to see), but I've never seen it go over 200* even when towing. I don't have the 2nd cooler either. To be fair I haven't really towed on any big long hills though.

The tranny gauge is mechanical and I'm not really sure how responsive they are if the temp spikes quickly. Anyone know approximately how long it takes the temp to reach the gauge from the sender?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:34 PM

How many 4x4 owners here have run their trucks in 4-wheel drive at the track?

I can't get any traction whatsoever if I try to build boost before launch. If I just mash the pedal without building any boost first I get traction but the lag kills me. I'm just wondering how much, if at all, the 4-wheel drive will slow it down towards the middle-end of the track?
hey i just ran mine at the track last friday night and ran it in 4-wheel all three runs before my friends wanted to leave and had no problems and am glad smokin92 talked me into running in 4-wheel because i gave it all shes got and didnt spin at all.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:47 AM

You mean that billowing cloud of black smoke before the turbo spools indicates not enough fuel?
Yep. It's called too big of turbo for the amount of fuel you're running. I see you have a hybrid turbo. With stock injectors it will take longer to spool the bigger turbo. Any plans for bigger injectors? With a 14cm nwg housing some of us would send that turbo into orbit.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:07 AM

If you have a 4x4, you must use it for a good time.
I think I have the latest version Dyno-Mite Diesel injectors rated for around 90 hp.
If you have a manual tranny you need at least a SB FE 13" or stronger clutch.
Elevation does make the egts skyrocket w/noticable lag.
One of these days I'll make down to a track near sea level.
Kurt
Old 07-07-2006, 08:34 AM

I didn't look at the tranny gauge (it's low down and hard to see), but I've never seen it go over 200* even when towing. I don't have the 2nd cooler either. To be fair I haven't really towed on any big long hills though.

The tranny gauge is mechanical and I'm not really sure how responsive they are if the temp spikes quickly. Anyone know approximately how long it takes the temp to reach the gauge from the sender?
I was roming thru some of the ether sight here last night and fond the "competition / pulls / offroad/ forum"
after roming around there for a while i started watching some of there drag racing pick or videos!!!!!
Man just got my hart to to pumpen(way cool stuff)
Any way this particular video had(unfortunely no first gen's)this dodge diesel that had twin stack and was amasingly fast, even the 60' times were Quick!
When he left the line the two stack were filled with hevvy black sooty smoke an bam he was gone

any ways i thing,as fare as drag racing is conserned, the smoke screw shold be turned down till it smokes at idle(dont know if that could acualy happen )and then take the afc spring right out of the housing!...........or atleast set it to is weakist setting!
I thing it would make your launch amazing!!!..............
so how are you Drive Lines,are that stock?
It semed like high boost psi(20+) were busting front drive lines a lot!
most of the info from over on the ether forum, well thay all agreed that 10- 15 pound of boost to leave the line was the most consistent et's
just a fue more thought to add to you list......So how high of a stall have you been able to get out of it on the street, in 4wd
Old 07-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bgilbert
Yep. It's called too big of turbo for the amount of fuel you're running. I see you have a hybrid turbo. With stock injectors it will take longer to spool the bigger turbo. Any plans for bigger injectors? With a 14cm nwg housing some of us would send that turbo into orbit.
Too big of a turbo?? So why are my EGT's able to hit 1400 without water/meth then? Seems to me that's plenty of fuel for the little hybrid and my fuel screw is only in 3 turns with room left to go. No plans for bigger injectors at this time (figure that will just bring the EGT's even higher).

Remember Bill, this is a tow rig at 5k feet...not your 400-500hp hot rod at sea level.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:22 PM

So why are my EGT's able to hit 1400 without water/meth then?
It's called lack of air from the slow spooling turbo. Light it faster = more air. By the time it spools, the egt's are already too high. If you had quicker spool up, the egt's wouldn't have a chance to get high. More fuel = quicker spooling of the turbo. That's what happens when someone puts a big(ger) turbo on a low fuelled truck. LAG = high egt's. Stock injectors actually put a strain on the injection pump when you turn it up. It's like blowing through a small straw. You'd be surprised how a properly tuned system (injectors, hybrid turbo, pump tweaks) could perform towing/working.

Then again you're towing at 5k feet and maybe I need more air because I'm blowing a lot of hot air .
Old 07-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bgilbert
It's called lack of air from the slow spooling turbo. Light it faster = more air. By the time it spools, the egt's are already too high. If you had quicker spool up, the egt's wouldn't have a chance to get high. More fuel = quicker spooling of the turbo. That's what happens when someone puts a big(ger) turbo on a low fuelled truck. LAG = high egt's. Stock injectors actually put a strain on the injection pump when you turn it up. It's like blowing through a small straw. You'd be surprised how a properly tuned system (injectors, hybrid turbo, pump tweaks) could perform towing/working.

Then again you're towing at 5k feet and maybe I need more air because I'm blowing a lot of hot air .
Ok man, I am pretty much convinced you are right about everything you say when it comes to these trucks. If you tell me a giant pink bow on the roof will increase HP, I will be installing one today.

The EGT's don't go very high while the turbo is spooling, but I can see what you're saying and it does make sense. Do you really think bigger injectors would give me more power/fuel with similar EGT's? I just assumed more fuel would give me nasty EGT's and be too much for the hybrid.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
smokin92 is the only one i have seen that ran his in the quarter with the typical mods. his signature reads as follows.

1992 d250, 2wd, white, 125k miles, bosch injectors, 3200 gsk, ground afc lever, dremelized fuel pin, star wheel bottomed, tweeked pump, straight piped, 35/40 hybrid w/ 14 cm housing, stock tranny, k&n intake, 15.1 @ 87mph more to come as money comes.

Notice stock tranny and converter which can make a big difference in performance on a diesel.
Also I don't know the elevation he is running at. I will be at nearly sea level when i run.That MAY not make a as big a differnece in turbocharged diesels as it does NA gassers though?

I dont believe a first gen D250 weighs 7000# but i know it's not light.

I've been watching also cause i want to get my 91, which will have a Banks intercooler installed,eventually into the 14's(or virtual 14's cause i dont know If i can shift this 5 speed like i am used to). I guess the VE pump holds then back a little over the 94-98's and i was also wondering if they have a smaller cam??
DAVE
Old 07-07-2006, 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=jrussell]Ok man, I am pretty much convinced you are right about everything you say when it comes to these trucks. If you tell me a giant pink bow on the roof will increase HP, I will be installing one today.

I sec. that but.... the PINK BOW! thats where i would have to draw the line!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=flashgordon]
Ok man, I am pretty much convinced you are right about everything you say when it comes to these trucks. If you tell me a giant pink bow on the roof will increase HP, I will be installing one today.

I sec. that but.... the PINK BOW! thats where i would have to draw the line!
Flash,

What if I told you I installed the pink bow today and it not only gave me 45hp but it also lowered EGT's by 900*!!! My max EGT's are now 400*, although I do feel like somewhat less of a man.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=jrussell]
Originally Posted by flashgordon

Flash,

What if I told you I installed the pink bow today and it not only gave me 45hp but it also lowered EGT's by 900*!!! My max EGT's are now 400*, although I do feel like somewhat less of a man.

I'd say, share that witch you are smoking

and i "dubble dog dare"(woooo )you to show up at the track with it!