1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How reliable is your 12V 1sr Gen...really

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by dB Zac
well, my Truck has never left me on the side of the road and I have never had to fix anything in a NAPA parking lot in the middle of a trip. That being said, once you look past the cummins power plant it is still a consumer truck and one that is 20 years old. so there are going to be issues like axle seals and bearings, warn trim, wiring gremlins, and so on. Does that make it unreliable? I don't think so. As long as my monthly repairs don't cost as much as a truck payment and don't leave me stranded, I am still ahead of the game with the insurance and licencing money I save

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Very true, if I were to average out all my expenses for my rig in the past 11 years, it would not be very much. I also do all of the work myself, which is of course a huge savings...Mark
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dieselJon
Bill-d-c has 4x4s.

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally
Thanks, then I can say that you can completely rework the front end, including the king pins and u-joints, in a good weekend. All the info and parts sources are in the sticky. Even if the front end is not toast, it wouldn't hurt to go through it, IMHO...Mark
Old 01-21-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Shops are TERRIBLE. I took my '72 crew to get an alignment (read: toe adjustment) and they upcharged me for having a "modified" truck because it was harder to adjust.

The truck had stock suspension but 37" tires... Makes no sense to me why a little dodge dakota 2wd with Camber caster and Toe ajustment and all the 2wd control arm madness is half as much to install. They just like to use the "old truck" leverage to win over the general public. No WONDER people who aren't mechanically knowledgeable/skilled get convinced that they need a new car every few years! The old "junk" they drive keeps getting bashed on by shade trees!
Old 01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
I had a shop tell me that a few years ago on another truck. They wanted $2,200 to go through it. I didn't believe them as the truck tracked nicely with no play or other issues. So, I went to a Les Schwab and had them put the truck up on the rack and look it over real close with me. Front end wasn't shot. It was only getting close to needing new lower ball joints (2wd truck) and everything else was fine. You could see the play as you lifted up on the tires. I had them replace all 4 ball joints as I was getting ready to get new tires. The "totally smoked" front end cost me $540 and that was having them do all 4, parts and labor. So, you may find differently when you go through it yourself or have another shop look at it with you.
I agree with that, having a second opinion. The truck drove nice, one of the things I liked best about it. No wandering, tracked straight, no unusual wear on the old tires. He took me into the shop area and showed me. Ball joints are definitely loose. As is the drag link and drive shaft U joints. The RF wheel doesn't spin freely, wants to hang up (drag) so I have wheel bearing issues also. I'm still going to take it to another shop, but I suspect the verdict will be the same.
Bill
Old 01-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dB Zac
well, my Truck has never left me on the side of the road and I have never had to fix anything in a NAPA parking lot in the middle of a trip. That being said, once you look past the cummins power plant it is still a consumer truck and one that is 20 years old. so there are going to be issues like axle seals and bearings, warn trim, wiring gremlins, and so on. Does that make it unreliable? I don't think so. As long as my monthly repairs don't cost as much as a truck payment and don't leave me stranded, I am still ahead of the game with the insurance and licencing money I save

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Well, I'm not goint to split hairs with you. But, my idea of a reliable vehicle is one that you don't have to spend most of your spare time trying to keep on the road. A vehicle can be unreliable and still never leave you stranded IMO. I once had a 2003 Ford with the 6.0 PS diesel. That truck was nothing but trouble, almost from day one (bought it new). It didn't however, ever leave me stranded.
Bill
Old 01-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Shops are TERRIBLE. I took my '72 crew to get an alignment (read: toe adjustment) and they upcharged me for having a "modified" truck because it was harder to adjust.

The truck had stock suspension but 37" tires... Makes no sense to me why a little dodge dakota 2wd with Camber caster and Toe ajustment and all the 2wd control arm madness is half as much to install. They just like to use the "old truck" leverage to win over the general public. No WONDER people who aren't mechanically knowledgeable/skilled get convinced that they need a new car every few years! The old "junk" they drive keeps getting bashed on by shade trees!
It's the 92 giving me all the problems, not the 93.
This one!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
The one thing i have learned from this thread is that.........if Bill ever sells a truck it would be in like new condition and would for shure be one to have.

Dar
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM

x2!!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by bill-d-c
It's the 92 giving me all the problems, not the 93.
This one!
I think I see a speck of dust!!!!!!

LOL, Bill, you are right, you are ****. BUT man you've got some CLEAN rigs there.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Bill, that truck doesn't have ball joints, it has king pins, and if they are loose, they really need attention. One of mine was cracked...Mark
Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maybe368
Bill, that truck doesn't have ball joints, it has king pins, and if they are loose, they really need attention. One of mine was cracked...Mark
I was wondering about that. I ordered a repair manual from Geno's but it hasn't arrived yet. The guy at the shop specifically said upper and lower ball joints, but I thought it had king pins. Whatever it has...they're worn out, along with a bunch of other stuff. Seems too soon (185K miles) for the front end to be completly shot. I've driven old trucks my whole life, most of whick were 4X4's, and most with many more miles than this 92 has on it, with no front end work save maybe tie rod ends. But, it is what it is.
Bill
Old 01-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Bill,

You have ROLLER bearings on the bottom of the knuckles that are serviceable with grease. The top kingpin bushings are nylon and EASILY replaced (4 bolts to remove knuckle cap).

You are being scammed to put cash in his pocket, my friend.

This Axle the D60F is the MOST sought after OEM unit EVER put into a vehicle by hard core rock crawlers for a reason! They don't just get "shot" with an easy 200K miles and 20 years on ROAD.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Bill,

You have ROLLER bearings on the bottom of the knuckles that are serviceable with grease. The top kingpin bushings are nylon and EASILY replaced (4 bolts to remove knuckle cap).

You are being scammed to put cash in his pocket, my friend.

This Axle the D60F is the MOST sought after OEM unit EVER put into a vehicle by hard core rock crawlers for a reason! They don't just get "shot" with an easy 200K miles and 20 years on ROAD.
I would agree. If he says the entire front end is trashed and it needs "ball joints" which don't exist that is a bit of a red flag. Especially if you have noticed no issues
Old 01-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Put inspection paint on the components in hidden areas. I bet none of it will be broken around the "ball joints" if you do end up getting this "service". Highway Robbery.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bill-d-c
I was wondering about that. I ordered a repair manual from Geno's but it hasn't arrived yet. The guy at the shop specifically said upper and lower ball joints, but I thought it had king pins. Whatever it has...they're worn out, along with a bunch of other stuff. Seems too soon (185K miles) for the front end to be completly shot. I've driven old trucks my whole life, most of whick were 4X4's, and most with many more miles than this 92 has on it, with no front end work save maybe tie rod ends. But, it is what it is.
Bill

Bill, it is not that hard to do, I did mine last June, see here . I agree that it must have been abused to have failed, but I really didn't have any obvious play, except the Death wobble...Mark

Quick Reply: How reliable is your 12V 1sr Gen...really